• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

milezone

Forum Donor
"Let's hope the company knows more about safe AC design now than it did then." I would prefer if PS Audio and the likes would go out of business. On the couple occasions I've stumbled upon PS Audio's founder Paul McGowan rambling about something "technical" it's like listening to a patronizing politician lying through his teeth. My preference and allegiance is to whatever the opposite of that is.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Good lord!!! And I'm really wondering why people just don't hire an electrician to upgrade their main box, so everything is protected. Call me old-fashioned.
If you are renting that might not be an option, or even for a condominium. Then there are different countries with their own laws and regulations.

In the end: not that simple.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Without certification would insurance be void in case of incident?
No. You can burn down your own house by making a mistake and they will still cover it. However they may then sue the company and try to collect that. And you may do the same.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm willing to bet you wouldn't have gotten an electric shock. You're almost certainly measuring leakage which is present on many devices, especially those with SMPSes.
Keep your money as you would lose it. The sparks flew inside when I earthed the safety ground. That was a ton of current. The pin was fully energized prior to incident.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I think plastic enclosures have their merits...
They do. But if the ground pin is hot, the connected equipment chassis may also be hot. It's...impressive. In a sad way.

Trell

Major Contributor
No. You can burn down your own house by making a mistake and they will still cover it. However they may then sue the company and try to collect that. And you may do the same.
Perhaps for USA, I certainly don’t know, but elsewhere? That I claim is a stretch.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Perhaps for USA, I certainly don’t know, but elsewhere? That I claim is a stretch.
In countries with mandatory certification, the situation shouldn't occur, and if it does (because of a counterfeit product for instance), you can AFAIK only be liable if you knowingly bought a counterfeit product.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why? The very purpose of insurance is to cover thing like this. You smoke in bed and house catches on fire. It is clearly your fault but insurance will still pay.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
In countries with mandatory certification, the situation shouldn't occur, and if it does (because of a counterfeit product for instance), you can AFAIK only be liable if you knowingly bought a counterfeit product.
And unless there are actual human casualties, it is very unlikely that a full on fire investigation would take place. So the actual cause of the fire may never be fully determined.

DonR

Major Contributor
Without a forensic examination of the circuitry, it is difficult to tell whether its a design flaw or an uncommon failure mode. I would not fault an old radio for having a live chassis as that was standard design practice at one time.

Reactions: 617

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom