• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was "measured" back in 2002, and worsened the noise floor. Yet the very same reviewer recommends it. Audio reviewers have been lying through their teeth since the invention of the first phonograph.

I saw that but the inside look nothing like that one. Strange that they both had the same name.

F1308

Major Contributor
Are we to suspect you have become too dangerous to some kind of interests getting easy money before your arrival and a tricky simple test might encompass a design flaw driving good chances to get you killed ?

Sorry to think so, but one never knows...

Take utmost care, please.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm, don't you have a power plug/wiring tester? I swear I've seen one you used in a previous review testing neutral impedance was it?

I suggest inpecting and testing the mains wiring of all products before reviewing, especially 2 decade old gear/powerline filters. Every piece of vintage gear gets a through inspection before I plug it in, and even then, they sit behind a RCD/GFCI on my bench.

Don't assume new gear is any better- there's plenty of unsafe stuff coming out of Asia.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, don't you have a power plug/wiring tester? I swear I've seen one you used in a previous review testing neutral impedance was it?
Sure. I didn't expect to need it.

martijn86

PS Audio is really on fire! The matching noise performance is proof of ultimate transparency.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it's time for a burning panther, or perhaps a medic panther?

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It may not measure so well, but to me it sounds magnific!
Yep. 50/60 Hz Scherzo - Allegro vivace :oops: Thankfully it didn't burn down his house or kill him. Damn... I wonder if Paul will have any interesting platitudes to offer for this product? I'd imagine probably not.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It does highlight the need to treat filter/surge boards as either having a finite service life and/or inspecting/replacing if and when they ever take a hit/surge.

MOVs are not indestructible and nobody knows how many times that particular PS audio product has absorbed (and possibly protected) the attached equipment in the last 20 years.

I don't see it as a bad product, just something that should either be inspected or chucked out after 5-7 years. A bit like that fire extinguisher we all have someplace as a 'spare'. You know, the one where the pressure indicator is right on the borderline of good/replace...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good information Amir. Unpleasant stuff that PS Audio Ultimate AC Outlet. One thing if the sound possibly will be little better, worse, or not affected at all compared to burning down the whole house.

That old PS Audio Ultimate AC Outlet. Is there something wrong with it? (of course in the bin right away then) OR was it that dangerous even when it was new? It would be interesting to know.

Last edited:

Lieglein

Looking at the standards for these, back prior to 2005 it was allowed to have an MOV directly connected to the safety ground from the line. It no longer is allowed. You have to have fuses or some other combination of devices between the 3rd pin safety ground and line voltage. PS Audio wasn't unique in this, as I've opened a few similar (though cheaper) devices and back then it usually was a trio of MOV's connecting line, neutral and ground together.
Well, if that is the case, I think the review should include, that the device by itself is not a malfunction and that this was to all regulatories back then.
I vote for, that the rating function gets turned off for this one, if this is all true and verifable. :)

Also "Dangerous" is not a subjective evaluation possibility.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It does highlight the need to treat filter/surge boards as either having a finite service life and/or inspecting/replacing if and when they ever take a hit/surge.

MOVs are not indestructible and nobody knows how many times that particular PS audio product has absorbed (and possibly protected) the attached equipment in the last 20 years.

I don't see it as a bad product, just something that should either be inspected or chucked out after 5-7 years. A bit like that fire extinguisher we all have someplace as a 'spare'. You know, the one where the pressure indicator is right on the borderline of good/replace...
Exactly what I meant. It's still over 20 years old!

Nah, old electrical stuff like that with the potential to burn down houses, kill people..hm.., you have to be damn careful.Don't buy don't buy such rubbish junk, throw it in the bin instead. Buy new, certified with the correct mark/stamp (CE mark, for example).

For example, IF someone buys an old vintage amp, receiver and doesn't know electronics, it's probably a good investment to have a professional just go through it and see if it's safe.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Looking at the standards for these, back prior to 2005 it was allowed to have an MOV directly connected to the safety ground from the line. It no longer is allowed. You have to have fuses or some other combination of devices between the 3rd pin safety ground and line voltage. PS Audio wasn't unique in this, as I've opened a few similar (though cheaper) devices and back then it usually was a trio of MOV's connecting line, neutral and ground together.
Well, if that is the case, I think the review should include, that the device by itself is not a malfunction and that this was to all regulatories back then.
I vote for, that the rating function gets turned off for this one, if this is all true and verifable. :)

Also "Dangerous" is not a subjective evaluation possibility.
"It no longer is allowed. "...
Put it in the bin. After that , the case is closed. At least I think so.:)

That said, the measurement itself was fun to read about, so good job there Amir.:)

Cars-N-Cans

I don't really have any issues with MOVs failing if they are properly protected. The thing just dies and you toss it. The part that is concerning is allowing the ground to be come hot at the outlets. As I'm sure you know ideally a short to ground should blow the fuse, but in all fairness given its age it could have been tampered with at some point by an end-user for one reason or another making it unsafe.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really have any issues with MOVs failing if they are properly protected. The thing just dies and you toss it. The part that is concerning is allowing the ground to be come hot at the outlets. As I'm sure you know ideally a short to ground should blow the fuse, but in all fairness given its age it could have been tampered with at some point by an end-user for one reason or another making it unsafe.
MOV's can have enough leakage to show up on the meter as full voltage, but not be that much amperage. So it might not blow the fuse. It could still be far from a short to ground.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
flame.jpg

Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

MOV's can have enough leakage to show up on the meter as full voltage, but not be that much amperage. So it might not blow the fuse.
I agree that's a possibility. But a proper ground should not allow it to rise up to the full mains voltage. It should hold it at or near zero volts even with substantial leakage. Seeing the full voltage at the ground indicates its either open, or has a very high impedance. Edit: You do see that sort of thing with class-II switching supplies that have a safety cap as it will allow AC/ripple voltage from the primary side to be present at the output, and this can be quite high, but since it passes very little current it doesn't pose much risk outside of a slight tingle if you touch it. But with an actual ground it should not have much if any voltage at all at any time since it needs to be able to trip the protection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom