• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable HiFi/small PA system - Devialet Phantom I?

jordant

Hello!

I'm looking for a system I can easily transport and set up for parties, weekends away etc. At home I have the Blade Twos, which are awesome, but not exactly portable!

The aim is to find something that can deliver a clean HiFi sound with minimal distortion and plenty of bass, while being as portable as possible. I won't be trying to fill huge rooms with this system but I'd want to be able to get a reasonable living room to ~100db peaks. No more than 20 people or so. Will either just be streaming music or have my DJ decks plugged in, most likely through my Trinnov Amythest for room correction.

I've considered so far:
  • 2x 10" PA Speakers, probably with a single sub. Eg the Yamaha DZR10 which were recommended here . This would be pretty bulky and probably massive overkill in terms of sound output, and I'm not sure how good they would be in terms of stereo imaging and sound quality? Not a fan of the harsh highs a lot of PA speakers seem to have.
  • 2x DJ Column Speakers ( e.g. LD Systems Maui 28 G3). Stereo imaging on these seems bad, plus with each one having the subwoofer base, they are not so compact.
  • 2x Midfield monitors, e.g. Genelec S360? This is tempting, but 30 kg / 66 lb each!
  • 2x Devialet Phantom I 108 dB . This is definitely out of left field, but they are by far the most portable option and the bass response and high frequency clarity is very tempting. I think they would have enough output capability for my needs? They will be a pain to integrate though - no XLR inputs so I'd need to use coax spdif to toslink converters and the direct optical mode to get low latency.
Are there other options that I should be considering? The Phantoms seem like a PITA to deal with, but I'm still leaning that direction as I can't find anything else with that combination of bass extension and size.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you need a true 100db a PA speaker is the way to go. Most studio monitors can go that high but will start to compress. This is true of the devialet as well. Its specs might say 108db just like the Neumann 120 II says peaks of 118db. Both would be distorting around 100db and that would be nearfield, not across the room.
A sub is definitely needed. Whether a PA speakers, studio monitor or consumer speaker.

I have set up PA systems for events even in larger areas using studio monitors but 100db was not required. Here are some pictures of using Kali LP8s with WS12. So do you really need 100db for a living room sized areas? If you do PA speakers are needed.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_145210768.jpg
    PXL_20230805_145210768.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20230805_191809442.jpg
    PXL_20230805_191809442.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 148
  • PXL_20230805_145216376.jpg
    PXL_20230805_145216376.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 145
OP
J

jordant

If you need a true 100db a PA speaker is the way to go. Most studio monitors can go that high but will start to compress. This is true of the devialet as well. Its specs might say 108db just like the Neumann 120 II says peaks of 118db. Both would be distorting around 100db and that would be nearfield, not across the room.
A sub is definitely needed. Whether a PA speakers, studio monitor or consumer speaker.

I have set up PA systems for events even in larger areas using studio monitors but 100db was not required. Here are some pictures of using Kali LP8s with WS12. So do you really need 100db for a living room sized areas? If you do PA speakers are needed.
Ok, let me loosen that a bit - it's probably more like 95db that I need, and thats within 2m or so of the speakers, I don't need to get the whole room to that sort of level. My home system with the Blade Twos is easily enough sound output

MAB

Major Contributor
95db is still loud
Ok, let me loosen that a bit - it's probably more like 95db that I need, and thats within 2m or so of the speakers, I don't need to get the whole room to that sort of level. My home system with the Blade Twos is easily enough sound output

I would get something like this:
I think you will actually love the sound.

If someone says 100dB party speaker, but then revises it to 95dB, I think 100dB minimum requirement.:)

OP
J

jordant

95db is still loud

I would get something like this:
I think you will actually love the sound.

If someone says 100dB party speaker, but then revises it to 95dB, I think 100dB minimum requirement.:)
Oh, that looks nice - If I compare the JBL 708p to the Yamaha DZR10, it's smaller and lighter (17.25 x 9.75 x 11.5 in, 25.2lbs vs 21.1 x 12.4 x 13.6 39.5lbs), with a wider frequency range and I imagine better sound. The tradeoff is sound output, they specify 108 dB SPL at 1m. vs 137dB on the Yamaha, but that seems a reasonable trade given my requirements?

I do see a lot of reports (on this forum even) of the JBL monitors failing, hopefully they have fixed those issues now...

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you want maximum output to size ratio, then I think the Devialet is about as good as it gets. And it measures great, too:

Now, while people say that two of these can make your whole flat vibrate, a 20 people venue might still be pushing things.

And they're certainly not the most price efficient way to get a big sound.
Ya know: Cheap/Small/Loud - pick two :p

OP
J

jordant

If you want maximum output to size ratio, then I think the Devialet is about as good as it gets. And it measures great, too:

Now, while people say that two of these can make your whole flat vibrate, a 20 people venue might still be pushing things.

And they're certainly not the most price efficient way to get a big sound.
Ya know: Cheap/Small/Loud - pick two :p
I'm happy to pick small, loud, and good sound - and give up on the cheap part :oops:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a system I can easily transport and set up for parties, weekends away etc. At home I have the Blade Twos, which are awesome, but not exactly portable!

The aim is to find something that can deliver a clean HiFi sound with minimal distortion and plenty of bass, while being as portable as possible. I won't be trying to fill huge rooms with this system but I'd want to be able to get a reasonable living room to ~100db peaks. No more than 20 people or so. Will either just be streaming music or have my DJ decks plugged in, most likely through my Trinnov Amythest for room correction.

I've considered so far:
  • 2x 10" PA Speakers, probably with a single sub.
2 x 8" PA speakers + single PA sub (12" vented, not band pass) would do the job, no need to go bigger. I do own such a combo (FBT Jolly 8a + RCF PS500, both active) for my E-drums and small live gigs, and while the sound is not really clean at low SPL it starts to shine and gets impressive when you push it up.

Try to find a pro shop for a demo. That's what I did back then.

Edit: check the QSC CP8.

Last edited:
OP
J

jordant

2 x 8" PA speakers + single PA sub (12" vented, not band pass) would do the job, no need to go bigger. I do own such a combo (FBT Jolly 8a + RCF PS500, both active) for my E-drums and small live gigs, and while the sound is not really clean at low SPL it starts to shine and gets impressive when you push it up.

Try to find a pro shop for a demo. That's what I did back then.
Hmm, clean sound at low SPL would be something I'd really like to have as well - seeing as I am a crazy person, I'd probably sit down and listen to some Steely Dan on it before the party gets started... This is where I'm guessing studio monitors would do far better, as long as they can keep up with the output needed later in the night!

BTW - I do realise that physics is a thing and there are fundamental tradeoffs involved here - just looking to make the best choice in terms of what to trade off for what :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, clean sound at low SPL would be something I'd really like to have as well - seeing as I am a crazy person, I'd probably sit down and listen to some Steely Dan on it before the party gets started... This is where I'm guessing studio monitors would do far better, as long as they can keep up with the output needed later in the night!
There is a german customer report at Thomann about the QSC CP8 who thinks them to sound like studio monitors (see the link in my 1st post).
BTW - I do realise that physics is a thing and there are fundamental tradeoffs involved here - just looking to make the best choice in terms of what to trade off for what :)
What's your budget? There are studio monitors with 10" woofers.

Edit: KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4 could be a steal.

Last edited:
OP
J

jordant

There is a german customer report at Thomann about the QSC CP8 who thinks them to sound like studio monitors (see the link in my 1st post).

What's your budget? There are studio monitors with 10" woofers.

Edit: KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4 could be a steal.
Anything under the ~10K US mark would be fine, maybe above if there’s something exceptional (though most options I’ve seen above that would be too bulky for a portable system)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything under the ~10K US mark would be fine,
Wow, that"s a lot. You might have a look to the best professional DJ setups.

Looking at Thomann this is the most portable system, IMV. If I didn't own such a system this would be high on my list.
maybe above if there’s something exceptional (though most options I’ve seen above that would be too bulky for a portable system)
Yep, the KH420 weighs almost 40 kg and has no handles.

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Knowing that makes studio monitors are a viable option. A few pairing to consider.

Kali WS12 sub with SM-5-C monitors (including LEA amp)- $5150 sub has handles. While not light, it is easier to handle than many others of this size
Genelec 8350 Monitors with 7e60 sub $7450 or if using your own EQ you could use the 8050 and save a grand
Neuman Kh310 monitors with Kh810 sub ~$7400
Focal Trio6 with Focal sub6 ~$8350
Adam A8H and Sub 12 ~$6000

If you don't want a sub go with bigger monitors
Genelec 8351
Mackie HR824mk2
Adam A8H

Lots of capable options in your price range. Go with what sounds best to you

Last edited:
OP
J

jordant

Knowing that makes studio monitors are a viable option. A few pairing to consider.

Kali WS12 sub with SM-5-C monitors (including LEA amp)- $5150 sub has handles. While not light, it is easier to handle than many others of this size
Genelec 8350 Monitors with 7e60 sub $7450 or if using your own EQ you could use the 8050 and save a grand
Neuman Kh310 monitors with Kh810 sub ~$7400
Focal Trio6 with Focal sub6 ~$8350
Adam A8H and Sub 12 ~$6000

If you don't want a sub go with bigger monitors
Genelec 8351
Mackie HR824mk2
Adam A8H

Lots of capable options in your price range. Go with what sounds best to you
Thanks, I will consider those! Am I right in thinking that if my spl requirements are within what a monitor like that can do, the sound output would be noticeably better than a similarly sized PA speaker? Especially in terms of stereo imaging etc which is likely not a priority in the design of the PA ones. I will try to listen to what I can, but being based in New Zealand there isn’t a wide range of dealers with floor models of everything to listen to.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned the Devialet Phantoms. Their reliability is inconsistent and their durability is spotty if you are going to be transporting them everywhere. I wouldn’t recommend them if you are transporting them routinely, despite the availability of stuff like the “Cocoon” carrying case. It’s very hard not to bump/touch the woofers and your guests won’t keep their hands off.

Please read this. You don’t have to stress about stereo imaging.

You need to go with a pro level setup. I will echo the JBL 708P as a good choice as would a used Meyer Sound setup.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be starting with Mesanovic RTM-10s and working from there. No subs required.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Thanks, I will consider those! Am I right in thinking that if my spl requirements are within what a monitor like that can do, the sound output would be noticeably better than a similarly sized PA speaker? Especially in terms of stereo imaging etc which is likely not a priority in the design of the PA ones. I will try to listen to what I can, but being based in New Zealand there isn’t a wide range of dealers with floor models of everything to listen to.

Studio monitors should sound better than PA speakers. Stereo imaging is a different problem and usually the only people that get good imaging are ones listening near the center between the speakers. Everyone else, the speaker closer to them will dominate and be the one mostly heard. In fact many PA systems (not all) are set up in mono. With many PA systems it is not about creating good imaging and soundstage, it is about getting consistent coverage in the listening area.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm happy to pick small, loud, and good sound - and give up on the cheap part :oops:

I come to think of a thing that might let you down if you buy the Devialet(s). -Duty time!
While the linked JBL studio monitors, Genelecs and PA-speakers in general can go all day all night, consumer/design products might not be up to the task for prolonged periods.

Just something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom