• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I chose Multiple Systems:

- When watching movies (bedroom): 5.2.4 ATMOS
- When cycling indoors (bedroom): AURO 3D
- When cycling outdoors: AirPod Pro 2 (Stereo)
- When working out or just working in my gym/office: 2.1
- When cooking (kitchen is next to living room): 2.2

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Do you have a link to the old poll? I'll have to review my answer back then (for maybe only a simple revision) because I really don't think too much has changed...

JakeK

Forum Donor
I had to choose 'multiple systems'.

The time I get to use my favourite, 2.0 floorstanders in the living room for music is little and far between. Those are mostly used actually 3.0 with the TV and Humax DVR or google TV HD, what used to be a 5.1 setup in my previous home, but the rears and sub haven't found spaces in the room since we moved here in 2016. In fact we spend a lot of time watching TV using the TVs built in sound as that's easier for my wife to deal with and it's one of the better sounding TVs, good enough for me to accept. Apart from that it's headphones on the computer a lot of time in the early morning, plus 2.0 speakers on the same during the day, in the kitchen I have a high quality lifestyle bluetooth type speaker which is mostly used wired to a squeezebox touch and I'm spending lots of time in my home gym which has a 2.0 system. At one time it seemed like I only listened to music podcasts in the gym or when driving but I've been intentionally adding more music to my life and gradually upgrading every system to help me want to listen to more.

Yes, so that's 'It's complicated' in other words! I would have expected most on ASR have complicated lives and multiple systems as well.

I would like to say it was a 'proper hi-fi system' and vote 'Stereo speakers' and many years ago, when I was single man, that was true most of the time. My stereo system was on most of the time when I was at home and almost every sound went through a lovely pair of TDL RTL2 floorstanders that were the envy of mostly everyone I knew. Even watching TV and VCR the sound went through that hi-fi, which were both proudly NICAM stereo and oh yes it was that long ago! Good times though and perhaps the extra complication we have now isn't always better. Everything sounded so wonderful back then but maybe that's rose tined rear view spectacles!

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

I use a mini soundbar powered from my android phone; watching some TikTok / DouYin.

OldTimer

There are 4 independent systems:
1. Stereo, which consist of DDC, DAC/Pre-amp. Amp. and Apple Airport Express.
2. 2.1, which is a soundbar with wireless sub connected to TV with Apple Airplay capability.
3. Stereo, which is soundbar connected to PC.
4. Apple HomePod.

When I want to listen music from Apple Music, I only said to the homepod: “Hey Siri, play everywhere!”. Most of the time about 10 hours per day I’m enjoying music from Qobuz HiRes quality using system 1.

JakeK

Forum Donor
There are 4 independent systems:
1. Stereo, which consist of DDC, DAC/Pre-amp. Amp. and Apple Airport Express.
2. 2.1, which is a soundbar with wireless sub connected to TV with Apple Airplay capability.
3. Stereo, which is soundbar connected to PC.
4. Apple HomePod.

When I want to listen music from Apple Music, I only said to the homepod: “Hey Siri, play everywhere!”. Most of the time about 10 hours per day I’m enjoying music from Qobuz HiRes quality using system 1.
Did you vote 'Stereo speakers' or 'It's complicated' ('Multi System')? I would vote stereo in your case.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to music a lot in a dedicated room almost exclusively on 25 year old stereo full range speakers, Goldmund Epilog 1&2.

If I watch tv I direct the sound through the same speakers.

On the once a month or so I watch a film I use them as the main channels in a 5.1 system adding a Genelec centre speaker and 2 Meridian rears plus my 30+ year old REL Studio sub, bought in Wales when Richard Lloyd still owned and ran the company.

I have 60 years worth of mono and stereo recordings and after a brief period of experimenting with multi channel and having been an early adopter of computer based music and streaming I have gone back to the simplicity of mainly to listening to CDs with the rare LP from time to time.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted "other".. reason as below.

View attachment 339779

All source material is 2 channel ripped CD quality files.

Use a DEQX HDP-4 to feed two monoblocks and an integrated, so four speakers in total.

Side speakers are wired out of phase to the fronts (this ensures, after experimentation, that the sound stays located in front of me) and I do apply the same 10 point PEQ to all four speakers with the addition of a rolloff of the bass starting at 100HZ for the sides (again after experimentation).

The DEQX act as the master volume control and the integrated's volume allows me to control the stereo width to the point where the soundscape is wall to wall and the speakers truely disappear.

I value stereo width as the most important system attribute in regards to providing, at least to me, the most realistic "live" experience (noting I spent decades listening to small combo live Blues and Jazz bands in "hole in the wall" clubs so that is my live reference... very close to the band but with a wide soundscape...which strangely is how many of my albums are recorded)

I listen along the long wall of my 8m x 5m room and the front speakers have a toe in of 45 deg!!!! where their centers cross in front of my head while the rears point directly at my ears in a plane 1m in front of them. The rears are about 6.5m apart and the fronts about 5m apart.

All speakers are Gallo Ref 3.5's and room is well treated.

Basically I have a giant headphone setup but without that "inside your head" experience.

Despite what you may imagine, there is no flutter echo or image "super sizing"

So why all this.. cause 95% of my music collection are stereo Jazz and Blues records from the late 50's to late 60's when pan potting in mixing desks didnt exist so we have three strong sound stage domains... hard left, center and hard right.

Thus in a traditional setup, images would cluster around speakers which wasnt life like to me. This could be overcome with a wide front speaker seperation but that was detremential to the center image

Experimentation with the setup above provided the best of both worlds: realistically sized instruements left and right with no clustering and a strong center image. And as each albums balance is different from the previous, a quick tweak of the integrateds volume allows me to control where the left and right instruements are located.

I can move my head and look directly at a side speaker and the balance doesnt change. HOWEVER... it has taken a long time to dial in the speaker positions, relative to each other and my listening position. Plus workout the best type/location of my self built room treatments which by vitrue of having four full range (30hz to 35khz) speakers is extensive.

The Gallo Ref 3.5's do have a major role in all of this: They are boxless, have only one crossover point, have an MTM array and the tweeter has a 300 degree "sweet spot". Should they die one day I would imagine some omni's would also work well.

This layout might not work for many but I have sat with this for 15 years and tweaked and tweaked to reach the potential I could hear in the early days.

Peter
I am in awe at your dedication to set up.

Art of sound

car option is missing. primary would be the most time spent listening to music so depending on the work-home life this might change for an individual

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning

"primary listening option"​

Means the option used most often.

Most often I listen to 2 way speakers on my bench plus a sub-woofer this system was upgraded about a year ago to 2-way 6-1/2" Purifi mid- woofers & Satori TW29BN-B tweeters and a sub-woofer tucked under the bench. You might call the use "near field".

The speakers are toed in, and I sit on my tall Steelcase Leap stool.

A lot of DIY building, and measuring happens at that bench.

Thanks DT

audiofooled

2.1 for TV/Movies and music listening, headphones for PC background music or games.

fatoldgit

I am in awe at your dedication to set up.

Thanks but maybe no more obsessive than many others in our hobby.

The "perfect" setup with this layout was there... I knew it but there was always something not quite right with some minor aspect or other (which become a moving target as I changed positions) so just kept chipping way.

I am maybe a bit different than many of our breed in that I dont roll over gear very often (last big spend was in 2013 with the DEQX and the integrated).... you get more bang for buck in my experience with speaker placement and treatments than chasing the hardware tiger and in my specific case, new hardware wasnt going to fix my complex speaker/room treatment/seating position equation.

But yeah, I did bugger around with this for 10 years till I nailed it.

Peter

Last edited:

valerianf

I listen to music with a 5.0 system.
Amazon music HD is the source (4k hdmi stick).
Dolby pro Logic II music mode with adjustable center wide is making the sound decoding.
SQ is the best that I have ever had.

fatoldgit

I listen to music with a 5.0 system.
Amazon music HD is the source (4k hdmi stick).
Dolby pro Logic II music mode with adjustable center wide is making the sound decoding.
SQ is the best that I have ever had.

Are the 5 speakers in a traditional home theater layout or something different to optimize the pro logic decoding?

Peter

Mattx

This is a difficult poll for me because it is ~ 50/50. Stereo speakers vs headphones/iem. :)

• Bookshelfish Stereo Speakers: On PC when listening to web related audio like podcasts / youtube, etc.
  • Headphones via dac/amp: On PC when gaming or listening to music
  • IEM connected to phone: Outdoors when listening to podcasts.
So I suppose I should choose Multiple Systems ?

Haskil

Forum Donor
I mainly listen in two-channel stereo because 99% of recordings are marketed this way, but my installation is multi-channel which allows me to also listen to musical recordings in multi-channel.
I have to reinstall the Atmos speakers because I have some Atmos Blu Rays of music including a magnificent remix of Sibelius symphonies by Karajan at DGG

Currently my Divatech MC 210 speakers are corrected with Audyssey XT 32 Muti EQ whose settings have been adjusted using the app and limited to what happens below 300 Hz. Beringher correction, Tact with the software and also parametrically after measurements by Clio. But frankly, when used correctly Audyssey gives convincing results.

The sound of this channel is excellent: these are passive monitors from the professional division of Focal-JM Lab developed in parallel with the Grande Utopia 2. The MC 210s are almost in wall in a large and very deep library which covers an entire wall from my living room (it is 2.8 high x 7 m long). They are connected to the amplifier by Speakon and a standard electrical cable in 4 x 1.5 mm2 but in mono amplification. The music comes from an old Macmini server used on its optical and/or HDMI output (but the latter is noisy) connected to a Denon 3600 and an old Gemincore CL 3 class D amp but excellent to listen to (indiscernible in sound time of very famous class A and class AB amps). I also use Heos, Airplay, UpNP from a remote Imac, a MacBook Pro or a PC via wifi to the Denon 3600, an ATV, an Airport express terminal, a Chromecast audio.

Audirvana, Roon, Itunes-Music, Foobar, Jriver and WMP are installed on my computers... I am a music critic and must adapt to new ways of listening to music: I am also subscribed to Qobuz and Music d 'Apple. And I tried Tidal, Spotify, Deezer. The only viable one is Qobuz but its locations in Roon and Audirvana are very, very perfectible for various reasons. I do not hear any difference between these different computer players and means of live or wifi broadcasting by this or that lossless protocol... but I notice large ergonomic disparities between them... which are not at all in favor by Foobar, Jriver and Roon...

Chagall

Forum Donor
I know for a fact soundbars are omnipresent, but not among people that would show any interest in ASR, as confirmed.
I abhor them.

I like their simplicity/value for money....just not for music..never for music. Samsung Q990C is around 1000 EUR depending if it's on sale (and it often is). What can I get for 1K if going dedicated surround?

Anyway, I have a Samsung soundbar Q990B for movies/TV. Kef R3 + Dali sub for music. But the majority of music listening I do on headphones HD800s and soon DCA E3.
So I voted for headphones.

Top Bottom