• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How big is your listening room?

Did you submit your answers in the Google Form?

• Total voters

CharlieChASR

20230418_152043 (1).jpeg
20230418_152019.jpeg
When we did a large gut remodel of our house one of the requirements was a dedicated listening room. But even when you can essentially start with a blank sheet, if you are on a budget, you still have restrictions like the overall foundation footprint or the requirement of an egress window. So I have an 18 x 13 x 9 foot room with a big window directly behind my listening position. But I do have curtains and two sound absorbing panels on stands so the the area behind my head is not reflective.

I have a replica Eames chair, Magnepan 1.7is, a pair of D-Sonic power amps, and a MiniDSP SHD. Also a pair of cheap SVS Subs just for the very bottom. It sounds good to me. Note that the picture has MMGs and I have my equipment on a different stand now but the thread is about the room and not the stuff so hope this works.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
View attachment 315943View attachment 315944When we did a large gut remodel of our house one of the requirements was a dedicated listening room. But even when you can essentially start with a blank sheet, if you are on a budget, you still have restrictions like the overall foundation footprint or the requirement of an egress window. So I have an 18 x 13 x 9 foot room with a big window directly behind my listening position. But I do have curtains and two sound absorbing panels on stands so the the area behind my head is not reflective.

I have a replica Eames chair, Magnepan 1.7is, a pair of D-Sonic power amps, and a MiniDSP SHD. Also a pair of cheap SVS Subs just for the very bottom. It sounds good to me. Note that the picture has MMGs and I have my equipment on a different stand now but the thread is about the room and not the stuff so hope this works.
Painters Tape. Check!

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First reflections should arrive minimum 6ms after the original sound to be ignored by human brain according to consensus and this paper calculates a minimum room size of 5.19m x 4.33m (17.03ft x 14.21ft) to achieve that for a 8ft (2.44m) distance between speakers (the required minimum for proper stereo separation).

Also suggests toe-in optimizations for small rooms and off center LP positions.

Attachments

• reflectgeometry.pdf
    267.2 KB · Views: 65

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
How did you even notice that? I guess "remodel" was the clue. :)
Nope. I have used painters tape to mark the exact location of speakers and subs when moving them around to find the optimal positioning. I have multiple calibrations saved. One set for me and two channel music, another for multiple people for movies. If you use blue ink you can read it up close but it doesn’t stand out. I have carpet with random blue parts so the tape is barely noticeable. Wife did vacuum them away once. Not intentionally. :cool:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Nope. I have used painters tape to mark the exact location of speakers and subs when moving them around to find the optimal positioning. I have multiple calibrations saved. One set for me and two channel music, another for multiple people for movies. If you use blue ink you can read it up close but it doesn’t stand out. I have carpet with random blue parts so the tape is barely noticeable. Wife did vacuum them away once. Not intentionally. :cool:

Of course! :)

I'd better post this photo then. Move and measure routine for new speaker placement a while back ...

IMG_3483.jpeg

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 315943View attachment 315944When we did a large gut remodel of our house one of the requirements was a dedicated listening room. But even when you can essentially start with a blank sheet, if you are on a budget, you still have restrictions like the overall foundation footprint or the requirement of an egress window. So I have an 18 x 13 x 9 foot room with a big window directly behind my listening position. But I do have curtains and two sound absorbing panels on stands so the the area behind my head is not reflective.

A dedicated room... the dream!! Would love to be able to design around acoustics instead of arrange sound around design, maybe someday.

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My listening room (8' ceilings) to add to your collection.
Cheers
Did you also submit it through the form? Thanks for participating!

We're at 90 responses so far! Awesome to see. I think we can hit 100 responses before too long - anyone else got 10 minutes and a measuring tape handy? :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun seeing the rooms, especially with the photos!

My music and home theater room is the front room of our house.

The room is 13ft wide by 16ft deep
(to the middle of the bay windows), and approximately 9ft high.

It has a wide room opening to our front hallway.

I renovated the room from a regular living room (which was my 2 channel listening room) to do double duty HT/2 channel music, back in 2009.
It was designed with my architect friend, and I hired a professional acoustician for input as well. We built down a bulk-head covering most of the ceiling, which
contains pot and spot lights. However it's unusual in that it isn't made of wood, but rather a frame with tightly stretched fabric - dark brown felt. It looks solid like wood.
But it's properties help absorb light so that there is no ceiling light splash back on to the projection screen, to maintain image contrast. Also, there are acoustic treatments hidden in the structure, front and back long bass traps spanning the whole front and back ceiling.

There are curtain tracks spanning every wall, so thick brown velvet curtains can be dragged to any reflection point, and there are hidden black velvet curtains that pull across all the walls for watching a movie - the room "disappears" with lights down.

Here are some architectural models of the room before renovation, and some photos after (Thiel 2.7 speakers are visible).

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun seeing the rooms, especially with the photos!

My music and home theater room is the front room of our house.

The room is 13ft wide by 16ft deep
(to the middle of the bay windows), and approximately 9ft high.

It has a wide room opening to our front hallway.

I renovated the room from a regular living room (which was my 2 channel listening room) to do double duty HT/2 channel music, back in 2009.
It was designed with my architect friend, and I hired a professional acoustician for input as well. We built down a bulk-head covering most of the ceiling, which
contains pot and spot lights. However it's unusual in that it isn't made of wood, but rather a frame with tightly stretched fabric - dark brown felt. It looks solid like wood.
But it's properties help absorb light so that there is no ceiling light splash back on to the projection screen, to maintain image contrast. Also, there are acoustic treatments hidden in the structure, front and back long bass traps spanning the whole front and back ceiling.

There are curtain tracks spanning every wall, so thick brown velvet curtains can be dragged to any reflection point, and there are hidden black velvet curtains that pull across all the walls for watching a movie - the room "disappears" with lights down.

Here are some architectural models of the room before renovation, and some photos after (Thiel 2.7 speakers are visible).

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php
The acoustic / light absorber is pretty badass. I hope you submitted these dimensions in the form also? Seeing the drawings with the photos alongside is also pretty cool.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The acoustic / light absorber is pretty badass. I hope you submitted these dimensions in the form also? Seeing the drawings with the photos alongside is also pretty cool.

Whoops, thanks for reminding me. Form filled out!

The ceiling absorption really helps. I work all day doing sound effects - including screeching car chases, explosions, gun shots, monsters - so by the end of the day when it's time to relax and listen to music I don't want overly aggressive sound. I need to relax, so I seek sound that is detailed, punchy and exciting when required, but smooth clear and relaxing - no added grit or brightness! So I don't like much "room reflection hash" added to the sound. For my purposes things worked out perfectly. I feel spoiled :)

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, we're at ~93 submissions and I figure that's enough to have an interesting analysis. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend. Last call for including your room in the analysis! Don't forget to add the numbers to the Google Form, or if you refuse to interact with Google for whatever reason, please add your dimensions here and note that I should add them myself.

Top Bottom