• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
POLL IS NOW CLOSED (thread remains open for analysis and comments)...

This is an updated follow-up poll to my September 2022 one. Was asked to see whether much has changed since then. Also deleted the active or passive options to simplify the poll.

As mentioned previously, the forum software limits the number of choices to 10. A final edit glitch also limited my ability to modify the responses without deleting the entire poll. So, the last couple of responses are out of order.:oops:

Thanks for your participation!

P.S.
Casting an intentionally inclusive net, wanted to include home theater and home theaters that are used for music listening. So, if you feel you are limiting your response, you likely should choose the Multiple systems option. For example, I have Amazon Echo speakers, a stereo system and a home theater. Which I listen to primarily is more a matter of convenience, so I fit the Multiple Systems case even though I barely use the home theater for video anymore.

If you are not sure how to answer, consider which equipment you use most. I do not want to edit the thread title at this point, but my hope is to help Amir with which equipment is most interesting to members.:cool:

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Well... It depends...

If I am listening to stereo music, I tend to listen on a 2.0 system in my home office, although I sometimes listen in 2.2 in the media room and sometimes 2.0 in the media room.

If I am watching video content, I mostly listen on a 7.2.2 system in the media room.

Of course, then there is the living room, which has video and 2.0.

How should I answer?

Office:
Office Pathways.png

Media Room
Media Room Pathways.png

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... It depends...

If I am listening to stereo music, I tent to listen on a 2.0 system in my home office, although I sometimes listen in 2.2 in the media room and sometimes 2.0 in the media room.

If I am watching video content, I mostly listen on a 7.2.2 system in the media room.

Of course, then there is the living room, which has video and 2.0.

How should I answer?

Office:
View attachment 339699

Media Room
View attachment 339700

Last option - multiple systems

muza_1

2.1 at the office
5.1 at home (edit: 2.1 at the desk)
IEMs on the go
OE headphones occasionally.

EDIT. By the time I realized the thread was too big, in addition to 5.1 at home when I'm at my desk I listen to a 2.1 system (35-40% of the time).

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2.1 at the office
5.1 at home
IEMs on the go
OE headphones occasionally.

Had considered this originally but was not workable and so modified thread title to reflect at home only.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This is an updated follow-up poll to my September 2022 one. Was asked to see whether much has changed since then. Also deleted the active or passive options to simplify the poll.

As mentioned previously, the forum software limits the number of choices to 10. A final edit glitch also limited my ability to modify the responses without deleting the entire poll. So, the last couple of responses are out of order.:oops:

Thanks for your participation!
Excellent job Rick. Very interested in the results you collect. Always looking for information to better understand and support our community and it’s interests.

Thank you for taking the ball and publishing this Poll. I hope we get many participants. The data you collected can also help Amir better focus his Tests and Reviews that tie into our Community’s interest. A great start Sir. :cool:

Tassin

Hmm, other way 'round here. Other residents' noise disturbs my 2.1 listening.

CapMan

Major Contributor
most hours of general listening on Sonos because we have one in every room and they are playing something most of the time. 2.2 system in the lounge a couple of hours a day

EGrunt

Almost two years ago the wife of over 37 years asked me to start listening to my music via headphones. So, as they say happy wife happy life. I first purchased some open back Sennheiser HD650’s but my wife said she rather listen to my 2-channel set-up because she could hear what I was listening to in the other room. Now I have some closed back Denon AH-D9200’s connected to my Schiit stack (DAC and amps). I still listen to my 2-channel set-up but not as much.
MJ3 stack with spacers.jpg

Eldus

2.1 with Dirac Live PC. Sub has a low pass filter. Would love a Topping type DAC/pre with crossover for 2.1. MiniDSP Flex looks nice, just pricey. The ADC input could be nice though.

Another_Moon

Headphones and IEM still need to be separated. And I didn’t understand something, but “2x speaker” means two speakers, or two-way acoustics? Is Stereo then broadband acoustics or is it mono?:) UPD: Got it, not 2x, but 2.x

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
I just last week bought a 2022 CD that came with a 4.1 DTS audio DVD and I was thinking how might I play that and decided I probably will never listen to the quad version and how the last time I heard quad was on an early Mike Oldfield LP ¯\_( ⊙_ʖ⊙ )_/¯ then I come here and discover that it's not even an option in this long list. What happened to quad and why would anyone release a new quad music album in 2022 if nobody has that format at home?

And look what else is as hated and ignored as quad ... mono. Of course.

Last edited:

jhwalker

Well the devil is in the detail. I listen primarily music in 2.1 with my 6.1 home theater SYSTEM. I feel I don't fit anywhere;)
Similar - I have a 7.2 system, but 90%+ of my music is stereo, so MOST of the time, I'm listening in 2.2 config on a 7.2-capable system.

I answered "7.x or more speaker system" because when I wish, I CAN listen to up to 7.x channels (only have a few hundred multichannel albums, though).

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends, when you say "audio" I assume you mean more than just music?

My primary TV/movie watching, video game playing, and where I do about 1/4 of my music listening is my living room setup which is a 5.1.4 Atmos system. Total listening time on that system is probably 50% of all my time listening to audio of any kind.

I do about 1/4 of my remaining listening on my PC in my office, which has powered Dynaudio monitors, and the remainder of my listening, about 3/4, with either my Truthear or Salnotes wired IEMs or my Sennheiser wireless IEMs from my phone.

If we just talk about music, it's about 50% on my IEMs, and about 25% each on my monitors and my living room system.

Top Bottom