• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How big is your listening room?

Did you submit your answers in the Google Form?

• Total voters
OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should be able to EDIT the survey without losing results right?
Yes, true. I've added the question although I fear we're only going to get a handful of data points at this stage. Better than nothing maybe.

I avoid Google services and analytics fairly strictly, but could survey and submit without sign-in, so bent my rules a bit here.
Yes, certainly fair to keep Google at arm's length or further, I don't blame anyone for being turned off by the brand of the form. However, thanks for pointing this out - it doesn't require you to sign in or otherwise agree to anything with Google, any data collection you're subjected to will be no different than what happens on every other website on the web.

If you are comfortable using the form, please do so, as I'll have to manually add other responses to the analysis myself later. 66 or so responses so far total.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1696015375816.jpeg

I sit on a couch that matches the chairs and is facing the system.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sit on a couch that matches the chairs and is facing the system.
And take off your two pair of shoes. :facepalm: ;)
Cool room, no joke.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yeah, should have put them away. Just changed the inserts from one pair to the other but wanted to give the group a feel for the room.
It’s a beautiful room and home. :cool:

NIN

Is it possible to add listening position? Some people have big rooms but sit closer or farther away from the TV/phantom center position

A image that is rather close how my setup is now.

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 42

ErVikingo

Prior home:

Mondo+Segreto11101936175.jpg
Mondo+Segreto31101936160.jpg

Current home:
ErVikingo 04.jpg

brucedgoose

I thought it would be interesting to have some data on ASR users' rooms, since it comes up a lot and as we know determines a great deal about what systems ought to be recommended. Unfortunately it's hard to collect this information properly in the forum's multiple choice poll format, (each dimension matters, hard to have a range of options for 3 different questions) so I figured it would be much more effective to use a Google Form.

The ASR Room Size Survey

It's an anonymous poll with mandatory questions about room size, plus some optional questions about acoustics, asethetics, background noise, etc.

I'll share the data and a little analysis once enough responses are collected. Could be interesting!

The poll is totally anonymous, I think this is important as some might be reluctant to share if they feel their room is particularly large or small.

This information will be interesting for its own sake, but could also help smaller manufacturers or researchers who don't have the resources to collect their own data. Perhaps more importantly, it could correct misperceptions among manufacturers who don't bother to collect data in the first place.
Good problem to have here: my room is really big! Approximately 21 x 27 x 15 with a peaked ceiling and large glass doors (curtained) facing the view outside. Hard to fill this space with good sound on any reasonable budget. Using a 500 wpc Peachtree amp and PSB Imagine T-2s which need to be about 18” from the wall for bass reinforcement. Further away from the wall they sound too thin. Most anything at all affordable would too, in this big room!

Much easier to get good sound in the bedrooms, though for the most the main system really sounds good, too.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Main room is ~85 m3, deadish room w/carpet, drapes, popcorn ceiling, little bare wall w/ LP/CD shelves as diffusers, fireplace. Diagonal set-up, back wall is half-open to ~51 m3 kitchen with half-wall to 43 m3 sun room. Often cranked kinda loud as I do business around the house. Hmm, or when I sit, at only 5 feet away... :eek:

An NAD C298 amp feeds a pair of Revel F208s and fills up all that volume with plenty of volume. Subwoofers to be added soon... :cool:

JPA

Forum Donor
I cheated and entered data for the great room of the house we'll be moving into in about a month. The acoustics should be good without any treatments.

I got a little thrill from cheating ;).

ErVikingo

Top Bottom