• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

MAB

Major Contributor
According to Amazon, I bought it April 10th, but I started building some speakers so I didn't use it till June 1st. I did bring it to my friends house just to make sure it worked so I was quite confident I had it paired up to the E50 nicely. My friend has some huge speaker so we pushed the PA5 to the max and the case didn't ever get hot. Once I got my speakers built, it was working great for 6 weeks and I still didn't feel the case getting warm at all. It was just the past 2 weeks that it just seemed a bit warmer than I remembered.

OK, if I can't get it to work tonight, I'll contact Amazon and the seller. Hope for the best since it matches my E50 so well, I'd rather have another PA5. Besides, it really sounds good.
OK, so you bought your PA5 about 6 months after I bought mine. And it broke.
Yes, these sound good until they break!

TOPPING-Service

Audio Company
At a very basic level, that seems correct.

Question: what is your approach for faulty units that are returned to you: repair or replace?

If repair, what changes are you making to ensure that the repaired unit does not fail again?

If replace, same question really - how will we be assured that the new unit does not have the same design/manufacturing problem?

With thanks for your help

That's all well and good, but my pa5 is still easily in warranty period. The problem is I have to return it to some company in China and pay shipping for it, during which I have no audio. I'd also have to be confident whatever unit I get has been fixed.

---
Anyone remember the person in this thread who randomly asserted confidently the cause was the power supply and turning the device on and off too many times, when it was clear some people left theirs on forever?

lol
We will proactively take more responsibility in the event that the same problem reoccurs and results in the need for a second after-sales service.

TOPPING-Service

Audio Company
Hey folks, sorry for posting with a fresh account in such a negative thread (I actually thought I already made an account a while back). But I have to report that my Topping PA5 is also defective in the right channel, exhibiting the same crackling and popping noises. Also if I draw close to the speaker the right channel has an audible noise floor, whereas the left is silent.
I bought my unit in January off the back of Amir’s review (I need to check but I hope he’s got some kind of update on the main post that follows up on these issues with Topping)

Actually had the problem for a couple of months at this point, just haven’t done anything about it because it’s intermittent. It’s not an end of the world issue but it’s certainly audible when playing music. Time to get in contact with my dealer, I think they’re based in Hong Kong. I had a great buying experience with them, hopefully the warranty is just as painless.
Believe your seller will be glad to help you. :D

TOPPING-Service

Audio Company
According to Amazon, I bought it April 10th, but I started building some speakers so I didn't use it till June 1st. I did bring it to my friends house just to make sure it worked so I was quite confident I had it paired up to the E50 nicely. My friend has some huge speaker so we pushed the PA5 to the max and the case didn't ever get hot. Once I got my speakers built, it was working great for 6 weeks and I still didn't feel the case getting warm at all. It was just the past 2 weeks that it just seemed a bit warmer than I remembered.

OK, if I can't get it to work tonight, I'll contact Amazon and the seller. Hope for the best since it matches my E50 so well, I'd rather have another PA5. Besides, it really sounds good.
Can the PA5 work now? If not, you could contact the seller for after-sales service.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We will proactively take more responsibility in the event that the same problem reoccurs and results in the need for a second after-sales service.
Thank you for your reply, it is really helpful that you have a presence here and I encourage you to use it more.

That said, I'm not sure that I understood your reply.

'pro-active' sounds good.

#1 Do you mean that if a second unit fails then you will pay for shipping and will replace the faulty unit? Will you offer a refund if a second unit fails and the owner does not want to take a risk on a third one?

#2 Do you have any plans to help owners (by offering pro-active support and paying for shipping) when their first unit fails? Will refunds be offered.

#3 Do you have any plans to help owners like me who have a unit that is away for repair/replacement - I had to pay shipping and I would also like the option of a refund.

The option of a refund is important if there is no information about what caused the fault and what has been done to fix it. I really do not want another PA5 if it is just as likely to fail again. If you have resolved whatever the problem was then I would like to know and I would be delighted to have a working PA5 as it was a great amp while it worked.

Canuck57

Forum Donor

only for second units that fail???? Now that is a high failure rate!

Canuck57

Forum Donor
They said if after the first service (repair/exchange), the problem still occurs, they will be more proactive.
This should by a business school case of what not to do

delta76

Major Contributor
Yes seriously. They should have identified the design/manufacturing errors by now and making new batches that should be problem free.

But i was just interpreting what they said :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Could be nice for the owners though,someone with educated knowledge in PR could turns things upside down and even make you feel guilty for spoiling the reputation.

Slotenpiloot

I have received a new PA5 through warranty, but it gives a “plop” when i turn the DAC on, the seller says that happens on a lot of amps and its no cause for worry but my previous one did not before it broke down.

Thoughts?

Slayer

I have received a new PA5 through warranty, but it gives a “plop” when i turn the DAC on, the seller says that happens on a lot of amps and its no cause for worry but my previous one did not before it broke down.

Thoughts?
Well, if your first unit didn't do this "plop" when being turned on, I wouldn't feel very comfortable having this new unit exhibit this behavior you are describing. Is it possible it will be ok? Possibly, yes. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to find out.
I darn sure wouldn't take any comfort in what some dealer or Topping has to say in their response (more fluff).
If i was in your spot. I wouldn't keep it. Either get a refund or make them exchange it for a properly functioning unit that you feel comfortable with.
Whatever you choose to do, good luck. I don't envy any of the owners going through all of this. Toppings responses IMO have been less than reassuring, in fact I would go as far as to say, they rather sound (read) as discouraging.

Lräk

OK, so you bought your PA5 about 6 months after I bought mine. And it broke.
Yes, these sound good until they break!
Well after a day it appears my PA5 is still dead. I brought it to work and measured the power supply at 38.4V. I'm trying to remove the cover just to measure some voltages.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor

Thoughts?
maybe it is not possible, but can you ask for a refund and buy something else?
It does not spark confidence to me, and at this point it does not seem Topping has identified and fixed the issues. They will just attempt to exchange the amp until warranty runs out.

Slotenpiloot

maybe it is not possible, but can you ask for a refund and buy something else?
It does not spark confidence to me, and at this point it does not seem Topping has identified and fixed the issues. They will just attempt to exchange the amp until warranty runs out.

I will probably ask for a refund, the store does not sell anything else that i would be interested in.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well after a day it appears my PA5 is still dead. I brought it to work and measured the power supply at 38.4V. I'm trying to remove the cover just to measure some voltages.
Better not,you'll loose the warranty if you open it,just send it for refund.

MAB

Major Contributor
Shenzhenaudio actually sent me a video on how to disassemble the PA5 during my customer-service disaster with them:
Their claim was that the noise was caused by a "loose connection port", and they wanted me to disassemble the amp and see.
A few things:
No way this was gonna fix the issue.
No way a random customer should be messing around with defective merchandise like this.
No way this can be called customer service.

Even if you are a qualified electronics technician, this is the wrong approach for warranty service. But, since warranty service isn't part of this product's bill of materials, at least you have the video!

delta76

Major Contributor
Shenzhenaudio actually sent me a video on how to disassemble the PA5 during my customer-service disaster with them:
Their claim was that the noise was caused by a "loose connection port", and they wanted me to disassemble the amp and see.
A few things:
No way this was gonna fix the issue.
No way a random customer should be messing around with defective merchandise like this.
No way this can be called customer service.

Even if you are a qualified electronics technician, this is the wrong approach for warranty service. But, since warranty service isn't part of this product's bill of materials, at least you have the video!
Ouch. Have never seen a company asked a customer to do that. There could be electric shocks to start with

Sokel

Master Contributor
Ouch. Have never seen a company asked a customer to do that. There could be electric shocks to start with
That is outrageous,the guy was literally bending the whole thing.
(I just realized the size and why some people here say are toys)

MAB

Major Contributor
That is outrageous,the guy was literally bending the whole thing.
(I just realized the size and why some people here say are toys)
Thing is, this had exactly zero probability of successfully fixing the unit.:facepalm: I'm sure that nothing in the amp is a huge electrical safety risk (as opposed to the SMPS). More likely is damaging the unit. For instance the volume knob does take quite a bit of force to remove; if the knob is clamped too tight, crunch... or if too loose, then the clamp slips... Both would cause cosmetic damage.:mad:

This was part of Shenzhenaudio dragging out a simple warranty return over months. I also think if I had damaged the unit in disassembly, they were gonna invalidate my warranty claim, not sure but given how surreal this experience has been it isn't out of the question.

In the end, Shenzhenaudio lost the amp that I shipped back to themo_O, so it is all a mess, and @TOPPING-Service still hasn't responded to my PM's, or to my requests in this thread. Their odd series of posts in this thread last night seemed to step over actual customer issues and requests for help.

Top Bottom