• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

MAB

Major Contributor
Who did you purchase from?
Shenzhen Audio. I knew I was taking a bit of a risk. The merchandise haphazardly shipped in a plastic mailer. No damage but the packaging was really risky. I guess it saved them fractionally on shipping margins... if you don't plan on accepting reasonable returns for damage or defect it is savings.... It's been similar circus since then.

Last edited:

captainbeefheart

I didn't read past page 3 but people are arguing about charging up large reservoir caps, I haven't seen these in a PA5. Linear supplies have larger reservoir caps but the largest I have seen in the PA5 is 470uF after the switching transformer/diode. The PWM is determined by load and controlled via feedback. Input of 120v gets rectified into relatively smallish caps, nothing that's going to even kill a 30A surge current of a 1N4004. The rectified mains gets PWM through mosfets, the on/off current through Mosfets also passes through the transformer causing the reactive nature of large/small spikes depending on the PWM, this charges up the last cap which was 470uF, some 1,200uF. The feedback regulates the PWM which keeps the output stable under changing loads.

I typically see Mosfets failing not diodes, after that it's the largish 470uF-1,200uF cap after the Mosfets, transformer and diode that gets abused with 100kHz current pulses charging it up. They typically swell up and even explode sometimes. The Mosfets fail from on/off cycles that don't have lots of protection diodes around them. It's more likely the Mosfet fails short, and that causes diodes and other parts to fail. Other common failures I have seen is the input filters which prevent the power supply to pollute the mains, typically the common mode chokes are undersized and they get hot and expand, I have found cracks in both the soldering to the board and in the winding of the choke itself.

The PA5 failure complaints I have heard are almost overwhelmingly noise in the left channel first then failure of said channel. To me this sounds more of a problem with chips than the power supply. I don't think Topping takes advantage of the error reporting function of the chips and they also do not use the hard reset pin, this means the chips only can do soft resets. I'd have to poke through the chipset datasheet again to remember all the stuff Topping doesn't use that the chips provide but what do you expect from a cheap amplifier..

Power supply problems are real from repetitive on/off cycles but these are short intervals typically from your mains "flickering" when you are about to lose power or from a poor receptacle connection making poor contact. The back emf from transformer kills the mosfets due to no protection diodes around the Mosfets.

If you fail to follow the proper on/off procedure with these I can see the loss of mains before turning the power switch off a problem, The PWM of Mosfets is still screaming along at 100kHz yet the rectified 120v input is not there and the caps bleed down throwing the whole system out of wack from it's programming.

Last edited:

B8S4

I suggest we all buy of current stock on amazon and then immediately return them. This will get the sellers' and Topping's attention.

OP
Eggs Ackley

Eggs Ackley

Some of the reviews for the PA5 on Amazon are trashing ASR.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the reviews for the PA5 on Amazon are trashing ASR.
Why?

Because he gave it a glowing review and then their unit failed?

Or because they thing he didn't give it a good review? Or because there it a thread highlighting the failures.?

Non of that makes any sense.

chuckt62

Editor
The Amazon I see only has 4 reviews, all 5 star and I scaned for ASR and didn’t see anything.

terrys999

if they don’t recall all units then the pa5 will die.
As it stands the pa5 sounds really good. Exceptional, There’s no noise dead quite . On working units obviously.

The big problem for me. Is. that they advertise it at 65w 8 ohm low distortion when it clearly isn’t, amirm tested it at 48w. Topping lied.
I don’t see many complaining about that.

50w max then sharp rise in distortion to 10%. That’s the problem.

Also you need 2.6v. And yet it takes balanced. Which is usually 4v. Turn vol up and it clips well before max volume.

If your going to buy. Use with 90w plus sensit... speakers
I used mine with bronze 6. Sounded good. But I couldn’t take the chance.

Ended up messing with adi 2 dac fs dbu settings closest I got was 2.4v.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The big problem for me. Is. that they advertise it at 65w 8 ohm low distortion when it clearly isn’t, amirm tested it at 48w. Topping lied.
I don’t see many complaining about that.

You need to be careful about throwing around accusations of lying. Topping (like many other manufacturers) specify their power at 1%THD.

Armir specifies the power at the point where clipping starts. For the PA5 that is at -107dB distortion (0.00047%). If you follow Amir's power/distortion chart up the line you'll find when distortion reaches -40dB (1%) the power is pretty much what Topping specifies. In fact it is more than 70W.

They are not lying. Perhaps you should apologise.

Last edited:

peanuts

Mine still hasn’t repeated those earlier problems.
Sending mine back today
Reason is that although it sounds great, it’s under powered .

Topping say.
  • 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N<1%
Amirm tested at 48w
It sounds really good on my ma bronze 6s But iam terrified of damaging them.
So back it go.
there is zero reason to fear damaging speakers. to little power blows speakers is a myth imo.
explained:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine still hasn’t repeated those earlier problems.
Sending mine back today
Reason is that although it sounds great, it’s under powered .

Topping say.
  • 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N<1%
Amirm tested at 48w
It sounds really good on my ma bronze 6s But iam terrified of damaging them.
So back it go.
See my post a couple above this one. It does 65W plus at TDH+N 1%. It meets specification.

terrys999

You need to be careful about throwing around accusations of lying. Topping (like many other manufacturers) specify their power at 1%THD.

Armir specifies the power at the point where clipping starts. For the PA5 that is at -107dB distortion (0.00047%). If you follow Amir's power/distortion chart up the line you'll find when distortion reaches -40dB (1%) the power is pretty much what Topping specifies. In fact it is more than 70W.

They are not lying. Perhaps you should apologise.
Ohh I see. I was looking at the chart wrong. Dam. I see what you mean
Yep I apologise.
Thank you for correcting me

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ohh I see. I was looking at the chart wrong. Dam. I see what you mean
Yep I apologise.
Thank you for correcting me
Fair enough.

It doesn't change the fact that Topping need to be more communicative about this issue though. :)

Reactions: ENG

Frank Sol

I don't own a PA5... But do own 5 pieces from Topping. They work well and are dependable (so far)

I'm curious: Has @amirm reached out to Topping/Tony to get some 'new' information on the PA5 regarding the failure rate and/or return/refund facilitation from Topping? What's the latest if anything from @amirm ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own a PA5... But do own 5 pieces from Topping. They work well and are dependable (so far)

I'm curious: Has @amirm reached out to Topping/Tony to get some 'new' information on the PA5 regarding the failure rate and/or return/refund facilitation from Topping? What's the latest if anything from @amirm ?
This is probably not something we should ask amir to get involved in. He is not part of the topping cs team.

AudioArchitech

Be careful, they banned me from the Topping LA90 thread for making those kind of suggestions !?!

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful, they banned me from the Topping LA90 thread for making those kind of suggestions !?!
No, they banned you for making personal attacks, making false statements, and badgering.

AudioArchitech

Just the false statements then. :D
If you want a refresh:

I just thought the PA5 deserves more scrutiny, some follow up. It received so much attention for the initial measurements and hype around it's SINAD score. Clearly many people are having issues already.

Top Bottom