• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

terrys999

The only ”abuse” I can think of would be incorrectly installing the speakers. I didn’t know what a BTL amp was. Even now that I do, I am not entirely sure of the consequences of wiring the speakers incorrectly. I do know Topping goes out of their way in the manual to say you must be careful about this.

In my case no cannot happen.
I have always always wrapped thin layer of insulation tape around each speaker plug, there’s no loose wires either.

I haven’t had a problem today. Weirded..

Iam now between a rock and an hard pl....
Don’t know what to do.
Don’t want a replacement with same batch.
Dam what a dilemma.

Maciekw

I bought the PA5 amplifier 6 months ago. It is connected to the mains all the time via the power supply. LS3/5a clones with 12 ohm impedance are connected to the amplifier. It only happened once, that after switching on with the front switch, I heard strange noises and crackling, and when using the volume knob there was an audible hum. This gave me a bit of a scare. The problem was solved by physically unplugging the dac e50 from the mains and amplifier. After reconnecting everything was back to normal. I have been listening to the amp without problems and with pleasure.

terrys999

There’s a small leaflet in the dac box .
It reads “ There is a breakin period you may experience sound of oceans and rustling leaves, and periods of silence,
Don’t worry. This is totally normal , it’s the way the dac is breaking in. NOT. Ah

cfo92130

Small video of one of the issue with PA5 : Video

When I switch on the amp, sometime there is a big noise, and, after a contunious noise on the left channel. Nothing on the right. Othertime, there is only a small noise on the left and after a couple of hours the left channel produce a big noise ( like on the video ) and then no sound come from the left channel. If I switch off / on the amp, the sound come back ….

PS: this is not my usual speakers ( JBL XTI80 ) as I don't want to destroy them...

MAB

Major Contributor
Small video of one of the issue with PA5 : Video

When I switch on the amp, sometime there is a big noise, and, after a contunious noise on the left channel. Nothing on the right. Othertime, there is only a small noise on the left and after a couple of hours the left channel produce a big noise ( like on the video ) and then no sound come from the left channel. If I switch off / on the amp, the sound come back ….

PS: this is not my usual speakers ( JBL XTI80 ) as I don't want to destroy them...
My PA5 had exactly the same symptoms.

MAB

Major Contributor
There’s a small leaflet in the dac box .
It reads “ There is a breakin period you may experience sound of oceans and rustling leaves, and periods of silence,
Don’t worry. This is totally normal , it’s the way the dac is breaking in. NOT. Ah
OMG. Are you serious? I have to ask!

terrys999

Ok .
Pa5 is now playing ball.
No leaves sound or dropping left channel.

Still have 3 weeks to return.
I have compared the cxa80 and cxa60. Vs pa5.
I was amazed at the difference, even the misses noticing it.

I played Groucho steely Dan pcm 96 24bit. And dsd version.

Woohoo the pa5 massacred it, I thought the cxa was good but the pa is better by a large margin.
Midrange was prominent on pa cxa seemed more thunderous but muffled.

If the pa was say a true 65 to 75w 8ohm. Then I would have bought 2 ha just for a jolly.

Beginning to wonder if cxa80 measures the same as cxa81.

Food for thought.
Any way will run it a few more days. See if it’s rews up again.

AudioArchitech

Definitely not from misuse, this is a failure issue. I contacted Topping since my seller was not handling this issue properly. Topping said I had to deal with the Seller directly and instructed me to continue try and convince them to refund me.

I then kindly asked them if they had solved the PA5 issue. If I were to send the PA5 back for warranty, if I should expect a properly working and reliable unit. They did not reply.

Last edited:

terrys999

Mine still hasn’t repeated those earlier problems.
Sending mine back today
Reason is that although it sounds great, it’s under powered .

Topping say.
  • 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N<1%
Amirm tested at 48w
It sounds really good on my ma bronze 6s But iam terrified of damaging them.
So back it go.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Mine still hasn’t repeated those earlier problems.
Sending mine back today
Reason is that although it sounds great, it’s under powered .

Topping say.
  • 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N<1%
Amirm tested at 48w
It sounds really good on my ma bronze 6s But iam terrified of damaging them.
So back it go.
OK!
There are two parts to this. One problem is the device is flawed, the second is the customer service is hilarious and non-existent (my reseller went to the Basil Fawlty School for Client Services).
I especially love the return instructions:
"Pls help us to declare the shipment under US$80. And ship it with postal service like USPS/EMS/Postal service. Shipping fees not included.2.And you don't have to clarify the detail of the product, you could just fill it as "earphone" without the Brand name and product name when you return it back."
It took over 20 emails with videos to convince them the device was broken and then they ask me to sneak it back home at my own expense! Of course I did, and the device either never made it, or it got lost at the reseller.
So, good luck sending it back!!! Keep us posted!!!

Nonick

Just received brand new PA5 (silver color).
When rotating the volume knob - it produces scratching noise on right channel (volume knob in position between 12 o'clock and max).
I swapped left/right speakers connections, it remains just on speaker connected to right channel ("scratchy" noise on volume knob rotation).

terrys999

When rotating the volume knob - it produces scratching noise on right channel (volume knob in position between 12 o'clock and max).
I swapped left/right speakers connections, it remains just on speaker connected to right channel ("scratchy" noise on volume knob rotation).

Oh my god.
Will these faulty units never end.

It’s obvious that there’s a common problem with these amps
Topping should recall them period.
It’s disgusting sloppy workmanship.

Topping! You have let us down

terrys999

OK!
There are two parts to this. One problem is the device is flawed, the second is the customer service is hilarious and non-existent (my reseller went to the Basil Fawlty School for Client Services).
"Pls help us to declare the shipment under US$80. And ship it with postal service like USPS/EMS/Postal service. Shipping fees not included.2.And you don't have to clarify the detail of the product, you could just fill it as "earphone" without the Brand name and product name when you return it back."
It took over 20 emails with videos to convince them the device was broken and then they ask me to sneak it back home at my own expense! Of course I did, and the device either never made it, or it got lost at the reseller.

Mines gone back to amazon. I expect a full refund.

terrys999

Oh my god.
Will these faulty units never end.

It’s obvious that there’s a common problem with these amps
Topping should recall them period.
It’s disgusting sloppy workmanship.

Topping! You have let us down
Nonick

You had scratching sounds turning volume without music playing??

Nonick

Nonick

You had scratching sounds turning volume without music playing??
Scratching sound from right channel is present while rotating volume knob on PA5 - without music playing.
With DAC disconnected (just speakers connected), scratchy sound is there on volume rotation. With DAC connected and music playing - scratching sound is there only while rotating the volume knob.
Whats really strange - i have previous PA5 (bought 3 months ago) - zero issues, works as a charm.

terrys999

Scratching sound from right channel is present while rotating volume knob on PA5 - without music playing.
With DAC disconnected (just speakers connected), scratchy sound is there on volume rotation. With DAC connected and music playing - scratching sound is there only while rotating the volume knob.
Whats really strange - i have previous PA5 (bought 3 months ago) - zero issues, works as a charm.

It’s just pot luck.
I must admit that pa5 sound quality is superb connected to adi 2 dac fs, sublime.

I may order another as soon as amazon has refunded my debit card.

Take a chance see if I get an unbroken one.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK!
Who did you purchase from?

Top Bottom