• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R200: Spinorama and measurements (a really nice surprise!)

AlexanderM

So today I had the opportunity to hear the R100 speakers and was more than just impressed, the soundstage was far superior to the tower speakers I listened to at the same time, which really was the KEF Q950s and the Polk Signature Elite 60s. The R100s pretty much disappeared, so the R200s are now on my list.

Ferrarabach

Probably not for movies, but multi channel music might let you notice the additional extension.
Hi, Sir. I'm about to buy Chane A1.5. I read you have the previous version (Chane A1.4) so I want to know your impressions of these speakers as regards Polk R200. I mean, how do they compare in terms of mids, bass, highs, image and soundstage? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Transmaniacon

Hi, Sir. I'm about to buy Chane A1.5. I read you have the previous version (Chane A1.4) so I want to know your impressions of these speakers as regards Polk R200. I mean, how do they compare in terms of mids, bass, highs, image and soundstage? Thanks a lot!
The R200 digs deeper and has better resolution up top. The Chanes might have a wider sweet spot, both handle power very well and maintain their composure. The R200 is a better speaker, but it's over twice as much. For a movie system I think the Chanes would be fantastic.

Ferrarabach

The R200 digs deeper and has better resolution up top. The Chanes might have a wider sweet spot, both handle power very well and maintain their composure. The R200 is a better speaker, but it's over twice as much. For a movie system I think the Chanes would be fantastic.
What a surprise! I thought Chane was at least better in the highs. Thanks for your help. I'm thinking of purchasing the Chanes L3 instead. Perhaps, they can compete with the Polks better! Any comment as regards to L3's?

Last edited:

Transmaniacon

What a surprise! I thought Chane was at least better in the highs. Thanks for your help. I'm thinking of purchasing the Chanes L3 instead. Perhaps, they can compete with the Polks better! Any comment as regards to L3's?
I have never heard the L3s but I would imagine they are a good contender with the Polks.

canthearathing

How it looks EQ, whith corrections...?

This is how my Polk R200 sounded before Audyssey correction (Teal) and after (Purple). I'm running them as a pair of full range speakers without a subwoofer.

polk_r200.jpg

canthearathing

O great thanks, how much improve sound?
Before the adjustment, the R200s were too warm for my taste and a lot of the higher frequency details are somewhat overpowered by the muddiness presented in the 100hz-300hz region. After the adjustment, the R200s sound much tighter in the lower end and the extension down to the 40hz makes it suitable for music in a near field listening environment like mine. For movies, I would still want a subwoofer.

I've been auditioning these R200s and KEF LS50 Metas. Granted it's not a blind listening test, but sonically I prefer the Polk R200s over the LS50 Metas. This is definitely not what I had expected because going into the comparison, I wanted to like the KEFs more (because, I'll admit, they look beautiful and the cabinets are suitable sized for desktop usage unlike the R200s which I find a few inches too deep). The KEFs seem to measure better and liked by more people, so subconsciously I wanted to like them a lot. But every time I listen, the R200s come out ahead for me. That said, KEFs do seem to have a much larger sweet spot for sound than the R200s. The R200s aren't as forgiving when it comes to speaker placement in relation to your listening window. Maybe things will be different once I integrate a subwoofer, but for now R200 wins overall!

nalap

Can anyone comment on how the R200 50th Anniversary compare to the R200 for critical music listening ?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone comment on how the R200 50th Anniversary compare to the R200 for critical music listening ?
they are reportedly the same , the cab is the only difference...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
they are reportedly the same , the cab is the only difference...
Crossover componentry is reported to be very different (i.e., expensive-r). Not the crossover design -- just component "upgrades" :rolleyes:
Audibly different? I haven't heard a pair, so I cannot comment.
I would love to have cherry veneer cabinets on (my) R200s., but the MSRP was, from my perspective, prohibitive.
I read (at the Polk forums) fairly recently that the remaining ones were (or are) being sold at a fairly steep discount.

tw 2022

Crossover componentry is reported to be very different (i.e., expensive-r). Not the crossover design -- just component "upgrades" :rolleyes:
Audibly different? I haven't heard a pair, so I cannot comment.
I would love to have cherry veneer cabinets on (my) R200s., but the MSRP was, from my perspective, prohibitive.
I read (at the Polk forums) fairly recently that the remaining ones were (or are) being sold at a fairly steep discount.
i somehow missed the crossover component differences, thanks...

tw 2022

Venkyrenga

I am conflicted between Polk r200 and Elac ubr62. I will be driving them with my Marantz pm7000n and I expect rich, smooth and organic sound. Btw I am putting the right speaker very close to a corner.

Please give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am conflicted between Polk r200 and Elac ubr62. I will be driving them with my Marantz pm7000n and I expect rich, smooth and organic sound.
Smooth, I get it. Rich and organic, I have no Idea what these mean. ;) The R200 will be brighter than the ELAC :
1000023829.png

1000023830.png

Btw I am putting the right speaker very close to a corner.
Then, the wider directivity of the UBR62 could be a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom