• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 162 65.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 18.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

rogu3

FWIW, the LX 505 is on sale for $999 right now at various places (Amazon, etc.). I'm happy with mine.

gumonx

I have a previous version, the LX503, that emits a lot of audible noise like radio short waves out of tune or so. There are lots of power, speaker and antenna wires behind it. Also, connecting HDMI from My Mac Mini, it generates more noise. Solving these issues, it is an excelent pre and music streamer for listening hi res audio via Qobuz using mconnect app, without the need of MQA´s unfolding from Tidal. For stereo, I use its pre out to feed a vintage Sansui integrated amplifier. Does somebody has this kind of issue?
i have these issues with my LX505 it was driving me insane changing wires etc, i finally figured it out, it was my epson printer that emit some kind of noise clicking... maybe is you try to disconnect the usb-a devices one by one... one of those devices may be producing the noise. Hope this help you.

MLaranjeiras

i have these issues with my LX505 it was driving me insane changing wires etc, i finally figured it out, it was my epson printer that emit some kind of noise clicking... maybe is you try to disconnect the usb-a devices one by one... one of those devices may be producing the noise. Hope this help you.
Same here. Solved after removing connections with a vintage Sansui Integranted Amplifier.

gumonx

First of all, Thank you so much Amir for this review, this couple past weeks i had one of the most binges times in my life watching your videos at your tube channel, so much info there! thanks again.

In topic. i got this AVR, now i use it more as a pro/preamp for the front channels, i use the avr amp for the 7 other channels for videos games and movies, i have NOT experienced any volume downs (sorry for my lack of knowledge it is my first year building up my listening room) using AVR AMP.

And yes AVR AMP sound kind of muddy like some said before if you compared it to another amp if this is your only unit for reproducing music, movies, games etc it will sound amazing haha, i recently brought a parasound a23 and it was amazing the different in sound using a proper amp for my FRONT CHANNEL speakers. i can not hide that after reading this review it was disappointing for me, in my mind it was great :( now i dont know that any more, i paid 1499 plus shipping to my country if i only got to this forum sooner! this would be a different story.

Anyone knows if VSX934 Has the same problem? i got that one to... :(

Theriverlethe

Does anyone know what the "phase control" feature is? Is it redundant or unnecessary with Dirac?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the "phase control" feature is? Is it redundant or unnecessary with Dirac?

I think it's a carry over from Pioneer's MCACC....I'd guess its redundant or unnecessary with Dirac, tho IIRC Onkyo's AccuEQ setup is part of the routine even for Dirac in some avrs.....

MLaranjeiras

Not a good message from my 503.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-26 at 12.42.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-26 at 12.42.20.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 134

Theriverlethe

I think this review is a bit harsh, since none of the negative reviews I see online mention audible clipping. It would be nice if modern AVR's had power meters to show actual wattage in use. I doubt most people are using more than 1W with the exception of short peaks. "Consumers" with real dedicated home theaters rooms aren't using AVR's at this low price point in the first place, or at most they're using them as preamps. The preamp output looks excellent for an AVR in this class, with distortion and jitter far below audible thresholds.

I tried another low-end Dirac receiver years ago (the NAD T758v3) and gave up on it due to firmware glitches and lack of features. I'm "demoing" an LX505 right now and I'm pretty happy with it. CEC volume-control feels like using the native remote, and Dirac is of course the best room correction software until you get into high-end systems like Trinnov. I believe the NAD receiver had a poor preamp implementation where using it above -6dB produced arguably audible distortion because the amp circuitry was still engaged. This unit does not appear to suffer from that.

Edit: I'm also confused by Amir's conclusion, "I cannot recommend the Pioneer VSX_LX505 unless you are using it as a processor and find a way to force the unit to go into power limiting." Where does Amir show a problem with the preamp before amplifier power limiting? The only preamp measurement shows 2x the performance (in synthetic linear terms) of the significantly more expensive Denon X4800H, which Amir awards a satisfactory rating.

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

If you read the FTC requirement for measuring rated power it states that it is to be read after 5 minutes of continuous running at that power.

Pioneer’s website lists the FTC power rating:
120 W/ch 8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, 2ch Driven FTC

This AVR cannot run at anywhere near its rated power for more than 35 seconds.

Martin
Hard to say, since Amir measured the unit ABOVE its rated capability at 144 watts. The manufacturer's FTC rating is 120 watts with two channels driven. It might have been informative to know when the unit actually engages its protection circuitry. Does it happen at 144 watts continuous, 120 watts, 60 watts, etc.? We may never know.

Edit: Looking more closely, it's worse than I thought. Amir actually measured the unit at +2dB. There might be a reason they set 0 to 0.

Last edited:

EWL5

"Consumers" with real dedicated home theaters rooms aren't using AVR's at this low price point in the first place, or at most they're using them as preamps.
It'd be great if Pioneer/Onkyo added "Use as a preamp for best results" on their box but no chance that's happening!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Consumers" with real dedicated home theaters rooms aren't using AVR's at this low price point in the first place, or at most they're using them as preamps.
It'd be great if Pioneer/Onkyo added "Use as a preamp for best results" on their box but no chance that's happening!

If Pioneer made a reasonably priced AVP, i.e., the VSX-LX505 without amps and priced accordingly, I'd throw my money at them. I can't see paying for amplifiers I'll never use. Heck, it wouldn't even have to have balanced outputs.

Martin

BJL

Actually, Pioneer does indicate in the manual that an external power amp might be needed, at page 60 of the manual:

"You can connect a power amplifier to the unit and use the unit as a pre-amplifier
in order to produce a large volume that cannot be output with the unit only."

True, they don't emphasize it, but then again, it is helpful to look in the manual before purchasing. I know that I did, and that I understood from the section on the pre-amp outputs that I might need a power amp. Also, to get surround back a power amp is required.

EWL5

Actually, Pioneer does indicate in the manual that an external power amp might be needed, at page 60 of the manual:

"You can connect a power amplifier to the unit and use the unit as a pre-amplifier
in order to produce a large volume that cannot be output with the unit only."

True, they don't emphasize it, but then again, it is helpful to look in the manual before purchasing. I know that I did, and that I understood from the section on the pre-amp outputs that I might need a power amp. Also, to get surround back a power amp is required.
Interesting. I wonder if a similar statement is made in the RZ50 manual?

With so many speakers having a nominal 4 ohm resistance, it's nearly a requirement to have external amplification these days!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hard to say, since Amir measured the unit ABOVE its rated capability at 144 watts. The manufacturer's FTC rating is 120 watts with two channels driven. It might have been informative to know when the unit actually engages its protection circuitry. Does it happen at 144 watts continuous, 120 watts, 60 watts, etc.? We may never know.

Edit: Looking more closely, it's worse than I thought. Amir actually measured the unit at +2dB. There might be a reason they set 0 to 0.
The shutdown symptoms happened when running into a 4 ohm load - the rating is at 8 ohm load, the spec sheet has FTC rating only for 8ohm... so you aren't exactly comparing apples and apples!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Interesting. I wonder if a similar statement is made in the RZ50 manual?

With so many speakers having a nominal 4 ohm resistance, it's nearly a requirement to have external amplification these days!
It isn't the 4 ohm that is the problem, it's the dip at crossover, where the speaker goes down to below 2 ohm... quite a few speakers do that, but it is by no means the norm.

Also worthy of note, that loads of people have been using this AVR and its siblings, without any sign of the self-protection shutdown, out in the real world... as opposed to bench testing.

I knew my speakers would be a problem with the Integra DRX 3.4 (sibling to Pioneer LX305) - so had my power amp ready to go!

I did do some level matched comparisons, and it confirmed what I expected (yep it could be confirmation bias, but it sounded very obvious!) - my speakers go down to 3 ohm at one point and 1.6 ohm at another... so a torture test for many amps.

This family of AVR's are great sounding pre-amps, and fine power amps for 8 ohm / 6 ohm speakers, they do get into trouble with 4 ohm speakers... which is where the pre-out comes in handy!

Theriverlethe

The shutdown symptoms happened when running into a 4 ohm load - the rating is at 8 ohm load, the spec sheet has FTC rating only for 8ohm... so you aren't exactly comparing apples and apples!
No, Amir showed nanny circuitry throttling with 144 watts into 8 ohms. The problem is 144 watts is higher than the manufacturer's spec, so it's irrelevant to the FTC. Also, the manual states 1V as preamp output, but Amir showed excellent preamp performance at twice this specification.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
No, Amir showed nanny circuitry throttling with 144 watts into 8 ohms. The problem is 144 watts is higher than the manufacturer's spec, so it's irrelevant to the FTC. Also, the manual states 1V as preamp output, but Amir showed excellent preamp performance at twice this specification.
Yes... Integra technical assured me that it was capable of 2V... and Amir's measurements showed it goes way beyond that!

My Quad amps only require 700mV for full output, and the Crown 1.4V - which the AVR achieves easily.

Top Bottom