• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 162 65.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 18.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 13.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I just got into surround sound systems after 30 years of being happy with various stereo setups. I bought this end last year few $100 off msrp, and have been slowly building a 5.2.4 system. I soon bought an Emotiva Basx 5 channel amp due to concerns over the amp limits. Haven’t had a single problem using the 505 to drive just 4 height speakers. I like Dirac but I’ve nothing to compare. Yes my system is now near $2k but I’ve been good with sound. Just bought an external dac for stereo listening but haven’t had much time with. The dacs in the 505 are decent
Just for the hell of it, try MCACC to compare to Dirac - you have both onboard your 505...

I have the Integra 3.4 near sibling, and finally got my heights set up today - so now it is 5.1.4... my Dirac settings got wiped out in a recent power glitch during a storm, and I have not had the time to redo the settings etc....

So for the hell of it, I tried AccuEQ (the Integra/Onkyo version of MCACC) - results have been rather unexpectedly excellent.

I just did the most basic setup - single MLP measurement - and I was listening from slightly outside the MLP.... Wife came in and made a comment about how good things were sounding....

My Dirac emperor may have been wearing no clothes!....

When I have the house to myself in the near future, I will do a full Dirac tuneup, and see how that goes - but right now I don't feel like I am missing anything running without it.

Words for the wise though - save your settings file - so if something goes wrong you can just restore it - it is likely to be some weeks before I have the house to myself so I can run the full Dirac calibration.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And the new flagships, assuming they follow the 8.4 lead, will be TRUE 11.2... unlike the RZ50/LX505 and co... which are actually 11.1

Their talk of "delivers up to 11.2 channels of processing" annoys me, when the sub channel is a single channel with paralleled outputs!
It would be nice if they should stick to the truth, that is 11.1 processing, with 2 independent sub outs, or 4 subouts etc.

Last edited:

ivo.f.doma

Just for the hell of it, try MCACC to compare to Dirac - you have both onboard your 505...

I have the Integra 3.4 near sibling, and finally got my heights set up today - so now it is 5.1.4... my Dirac settings got wiped out in a recent power glitch during a storm, and I have not had the time to redo the settings etc....

So for the hell of it, I tried AccuEQ (the Integra/Onkyo version of MCACC) - results have been rather unexpectedly excellent.

I just did the most basic setup - single MLP measurement - and I was listening from slightly outside the MLP.... Wife came in and made a comment about how good things were sounding....

My Dirac emperor may have been wearing no clothes!....

When I have the house to myself in the near future, I will do a full Dirac tuneup, and see how that goes - but right now I don't feel like I am missing anything running without it.

Words for the wise though - save your settings file - so if something goes wrong you can just restore it - it is likely to be some weeks before I have the house to myself so I can run the full Dirac calibration.
I told you to try MCACC... :)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I told you to try MCACC... :)
I've used MCACC for years with various Pioneer Elite receivers - currently an SC-LX801. I found this MCACC workflow many years ago on AVSForum and it works very well:

MCACC Work Flow:
1) Set Receiver to MCACC preset 1 (M1). Now Run Auto MCACC with mic in your listening position (I taped the mic to the top of a two foot long shoe horn, and stuck the shoe horn in between the couch cushions, so the mic is right where my ears are during listening).

2) Go into Manual Sp Setup and change the SP settings if necessary (crossover & speaker size)

3) Now re-run Auto MCACC but select custom, and then select Keep Sp settings. You will also be given the options to have MCACC calibrate for symmetry, all ch adjust and front align. You may save each calibration to separate presets or run just one of them, or run two of them. You will see these options after you select Keep Sp settings.

4) Now you have an Auto MCACC calibration(s) saved to M1 (or to multiple presets if you chose more than one EQ calibration type in previous step: symmetry, front align, and all ch adjust) (....note: you must select which preset you want Auto MCACC to save calibration data to before you enter the audio setup menu.) Now go into Data Management->Data Copy and copy M1's data to as many other free presets as you like.

5) Now go into Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Reverb Measurement and get a reading on the frequency response characteristics of your room. Be sure to select EQ OFF(standing waves not controlled for via MCACC filters) in the Reverb Measurement menu because you don't want the standing wave adjustments (EQ on) to be factored in to the room reverb measurements. Also make sure you haven't moved the mic.

6) After test tones are done, go into Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Reverb View, and you can analyze the frequency response of individual channels at various frequencies. Based upon that data, you would select the appropriate capture delay time for MCACC to capture data during for the upcoming EQ calibration.

Change that time frame under Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Advanced EQ Setup to whatever you decide is the appropriate capture delay time ....(Pioneer recommends 30-50 ms, but they encourage you to analyze the data under reverb view first and refer to the advanced MCACC software manual for analysis purposes). Note: the default capture delay time is than 80-160 ms.

7) Change to the appropriate MCACC preset before you run the new advanced EQ calibration with the new capture time. You choose which preset, but I would recommend a preset that is a carbon copy of an auto MCACC calibration so that you can do an A-B comparison between auto EQ and advanced EQ. Go under Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Advanced EQ Setup to start the advanced EQ calibration, and MCACC should make a more accurate calibration since it will now capture sonic information sooner after the speakers output sound, and get a read on what the frequency response is of the speakers themselves, and not the speakers and all the reverb which accumulates as time passes. (Default capture time is 80-160 ms and thus collects more reverb and less true speaker reading)

Now you should have an accurate calibration. Also, now you can easily compare the Auto MCACC EQ effects that are stored in a preset with the advanced EQ effects in other presets while listening to content with a simple button press on the remote. You could also juice the base a few db in a preset, and also compare running the base a bit hot to a flat calibration that you have in other presets.

Martin

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I've used MCACC for years with various Pioneer Elite receivers - currently an SC-LX801. I found this MCACC workflow many years ago on AVSForum and it works very well:

MCACC Work Flow:
1) Set Receiver to MCACC preset 1 (M1). Now Run Auto MCACC with mic in your listening position (I taped the mic to the top of a two foot long shoe horn, and stuck the shoe horn in between the couch cushions, so the mic is right where my ears are during listening).

2) Go into Manual Sp Setup and change the SP settings if necessary (crossover & speaker size)

3) Now re-run Auto MCACC but select custom, and then select Keep Sp settings. You will also be given the options to have MCACC calibrate for symmetry, all ch adjust and front align. You may save each calibration to separate presets or run just one of them, or run two of them. You will see these options after you select Keep Sp settings.

4) Now you have an Auto MCACC calibration(s) saved to M1 (or to multiple presets if you chose more than one EQ calibration type in previous step: symmetry, front align, and all ch adjust) (....note: you must select which preset you want Auto MCACC to save calibration data to before you enter the audio setup menu.) Now go into Data Management->Data Copy and copy M1's data to as many other free presets as you like.

5) Now go into Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Reverb Measurement and get a reading on the frequency response characteristics of your room. Be sure to select EQ OFF(standing waves not controlled for via MCACC filters) in the Reverb Measurement menu because you don't want the standing wave adjustments (EQ on) to be factored in to the room reverb measurements. Also make sure you haven't moved the mic.

6) After test tones are done, go into Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Reverb View, and you can analyze the frequency response of individual channels at various frequencies. Based upon that data, you would select the appropriate capture delay time for MCACC to capture data during for the upcoming EQ calibration.

Change that time frame under Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Advanced EQ Setup to whatever you decide is the appropriate capture delay time ....(Pioneer recommends 30-50 ms, but they encourage you to analyze the data under reverb view first and refer to the advanced MCACC software manual for analysis purposes). Note: the default capture delay time is than 80-160 ms.

7) Change to the appropriate MCACC preset before you run the new advanced EQ calibration with the new capture time. You choose which preset, but I would recommend a preset that is a carbon copy of an auto MCACC calibration so that you can do an A-B comparison between auto EQ and advanced EQ. Go under Manual MCACC->EQ Professional->Advanced EQ Setup to start the advanced EQ calibration, and MCACC should make a more accurate calibration since it will now capture sonic information sooner after the speakers output sound, and get a read on what the frequency response is of the speakers themselves, and not the speakers and all the reverb which accumulates as time passes. (Default capture time is 80-160 ms and thus collects more reverb and less true speaker reading)

Now you should have an accurate calibration. Also, now you can easily compare the Auto MCACC EQ effects that are stored in a preset with the advanced EQ effects in other presets while listening to content with a simple button press on the remote. You could also juice the base a few db in a preset, and also compare running the base a bit hot to a flat calibration that you have in other presets.

Martin
In this case, an advantage of the Pioneer sibling over the Onkyo/Integra's ? - AccuEQ on the Integra does not seem to have many of these options... but I will investigate, just to be sure.

Usually the Pioneers are the poor cousin - but there may be a substantial untapped wealth of performance & flexibility in MCACC for the cognoscenti....(?)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case, an advantage of the Pioneer sibling over the Onkyo/Integra's ? - AccuEQ on the Integra does not seem to have many of these options... but I will investigate, just to be sure.

Usually the Pioneers are the poor cousin - but there may be a substantial untapped wealth of performance & flexibility in MCACC for the cognoscenti....(?)

Pioneer had MCACC long before they were purchased by Onkyo. I don’t know anything about AccuEQ.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Pioneer had MCACC long before they were purchased by Onkyo. I don’t know anything about AccuEQ.
It seems like a version of MCACC was renamed AccuEQ after they were purchased by Onkyo, and from then on it was included in the Onkyo/Integra's - I believe there are various levels of AccuEQ that match various levels of MCACC, but have mostly ignored it till now as I was using Dirac.... now it seems I need to explore that avenue too...

Andysu

Major Contributor
utter rubbish no internal 8 channel inputs = do not touch or any other avr avp today that doesn't have any internal 8 channel inputs avoid ! headless more like my cats litter box for that pioneer
Pioneer Home Theater AVR VSX-LX505 Surround Atmos 4K HDMI back panel Review.jpg

buz

Forum Donor
You sound angry.

(not sure what internal inputs are supposed to be in the first place)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If you are looking for an 8 channel set of RCA analogue inputs... - that capability is on the HDMI ports (if you absolutely need old style analogue inputs you can get converters)... Pretty much everything on the market has been using HDMI for the 8 channels (7.1) for well over a decade.

What is it you are trying to do?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you are looking for an 8 channel set of RCA analogue inputs... - that capability is on the HDMI ports (if you absolutely need old style analogue inputs you can get converters)... Pretty much everything on the market has been using HDMI for the 8 channels (7.1) for well over a decade.

What is it you are trying to do?
This is my preferred option for low latency / high quality upscaling to HDMI:

MLaranjeiras

I have a previous version, the LX503, that emits a lot of audible noise like radio short waves out of tune or so. There are lots of power, speaker and antenna wires behind it. Also, connecting HDMI from My Mac Mini, it generates more noise. Solving these issues, it is an excelent pre and music streamer for listening hi res audio via Qobuz using mconnect app, without the need of MQA´s unfolding from Tidal. For stereo, I use its pre out to feed a vintage Sansui integrated amplifier. Does somebody has this kind of issue?

ivo.f.doma

dlaloum

Major Contributor
With the notable exception of the LX805 which has had no pricing "roll back"

EWL5

Anyone know why the 505 currently retails for less than the RZ50 by about $200?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Anyone know why the 505 currently retails for less than the RZ50 by about $200?
Prices vary by region - in the USA the RZ70 is cheaper than the DRX8.4 and LX805, in Australia they are all the same price....

Top Bottom