• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Picking between these 2 audio jewlery items...any "better" than the other?

GabrielPhoto

Recently I was trying to find a good looking Power Condition like unit but I was not able to find anything that looked good to my eyes in my Rack so I am back to just grabbing an actual power conditioner instead.
Its a fancy power strip, but is what I want for the look of the gear rack so...no need to discuss if they clean or not.
I narrowed it down to two units:
Panamax M5300_PM
Furman Elite 15 DMi
I tend to prefer the look of the Panamax because of the fancier meters but the matte look of the Furman is not bad either, just the meters look pretty old fashion LOL
In any case, the Furman has 4 "high power" outlets vs 2 on the Panamax...
So, besides the look, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Thanks
51C4C2cF2wL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
514ke-YP1qL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I can see the appeal of the Furman and i can find it cheaper as well. Looks like it may be a hybrid not just MOV too?
Looks like Furman is taking the lead lol

Venga Velo

The Furman looks far better. But what's with the spacing on the display?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wondering why you’d spend money on anything like that??

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Furman and Panamax are the same parent company. Real advantage is using the 12v trigger on these.

I have had both brands. Panamax has a better connected device warranty, but Furman has the more advanced over voltage correction. With the Furman you cannot turn off the lights completely, just dim it, but I believe the Panamax lets you darken the meters. The Furman front power switch feels like it could accidentally trip but it’s been OK. It’s riskier with kids who know enough not to play with power outlets but still like switches.

I have a vintage Belkin component power conditioner which is great because it has lots of 12v trigger options including delayed starts.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Furman and Panamax are the same parent company. Real advantage is using the 12v trigger on these.

I have had both brands. Panamax has a better connected device warranty, but Furman has the more advanced over voltage correction. With the Furman you cannot turn off the lights completely, just dim it, but I believe the Panamax lets you darken the meters. The Furman front power switch feels like it could accidentally trip but it’s been OK. It’s riskier with kids who know enough not to play with power outlets but still like switches.

I have a vintage Belkin component power conditioner which is great because it has lots of 12v trigger options including delayed starts.
thank you!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Wondering why you’d spend money on anything like that??

He already explained his reasoning. Stated purpose of esthetics and looks for his own visual appeal and appearance.
Its a fancy power strip, but is what I want for the look of the gear rack so...no need to discuss
I don’t believe he owes us any further explanation or to defend his own personal preference. Let’s move on from this line of inquiry please. ;)

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

He already explained his reasoning. Stated purpose of esthetics and looks for his own visual appeal and appearance.

I don’t believe he owes us any further explanation or to defend his own personal preference. Let’s move on from this line of inquiry please. ;)
Thank you, Adam!

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Well to end this thread, I ended up testing the Furman DM i, the PF (from a friend) and the 5400 Panamax.
I kind of liked the look of the DMi the best but neither of them was "cleaning" (for as little as that may matter) as good as my Monster HTPS 7000 Sig (the once with balanced and isolated switch).
Using those meters you plug in, I was getting 350 readings with the DMi vs 50 or under on the best outlets of the HTPS 7000. My 7000 had this small whine if you put your ear to it so I thought maybe it was adding some noises to my system that I could only fix with Hum-X but it turns out NONE of them were able to get rid of that (unless I added back the HUM-X) so in the end, keeping my HTPS 7000 seems like the best option since I kind of dig the look of its (taller unit than the rest) and it matches the AVS2000 right below.
I was hoping that a unit without the little whine was going to be help with some of those annoying little sounds and look good at the same time but since that was not the case, then why bother? Plus, for the tech part, I was surprised to find "cleaner" output from the old 7000 outlets :D

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Monster Power stuff is quite good. I have had several Monster Power products from 20+ years ago which still seem to work fine. I have had two Panamax products (25 years old) where something went wrong where one of the outlets stopped working,

This sort of shows you that there is not a lot of new technology in power filtering. The 7000 was the flagship and you no longer have flagship Panamax “AC Regenerators” that competed with the 7000. The balanced power of the reference line is what will compete with the Monster for power conditioning…

HOWEVER, the big thing is that while I do believe that power conditioning helped in the past, my clearest example was being able to overclock a CPU higher where perhaps the high frequency noise made a difference, TODAY’S ELECTRONICS are far better designed and the benefit for actual AC line conditioning is minimal.

We see that with USB isolators (Intona) and the Wireworld USB cable tested here; For certain products, you can measure differences in the audible range but for newer designs, it doesnt matter.

The Hum-X is something you should send to @amirm. I am curious how it removes ground loops while preserving safety ground. I believe it is working for you, but I am also suspicious that a product twenty years on the market also still says “patent pending.” At this point, you either got or didn’t get the patent. The patent may also simply be a design patent for the look and feel. I also wonder if the HumX also reduces DC on the AC line.

While AC line conditioning is not needed today, ground loops are still a problem!

Top Bottom