• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philharmonic BMR Monitor Semi-Objective Review - Road Show Stop 1

OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Now hold it. I paid you $1 per word the last time. I'm out of cash.

Eh. If that were true, this pair would have cost me -$630,774.59. Methinks I have been ripped off!!!

;)

Last edited:

Ericglo

Personally, I like the looks of my high gloss BMR walnut cabinets with white woofer better. It looks classy to me. But if you close your eyes they both sound the same! :)

If you could get the BMR in white and paint the ribbon face plate white for an all white drivers, then I would agree. ;)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a puzzle for you. Which speaker is on the left and which speaker model is on the right? The only image you have as a clue is the tweeter of each one shown below. ;-)

The tale of two tweeters.png

sfdoddsy

Home Theater Subjective Review

I had planned to take a lot of measurements of the BMRs in the home theater application, but I simply ran out of time. What I did manage to accomplish is dropping the BMRs into a menagerie of unmatched speakers to see how they would perform. This is somewhat interesting, because there is no matching center channel available. One could perhaps talk Dennis into selling a single Mini Monitor to be run standing up and get something near a match. Perhaps.

The BMRs excelled there as well, because of course they would.

THE END

I would also expect nothing less. It's been my experience, especially with good Room EQ, that the old saw that you must have identical speakers all around for HT is another attempt to part us with more money than necessary.

I've used identical, similar, dissimilar, and much inbetween over the years. If they are half-way good and can take EQ I've not noticed any issues.

I currently have Davone Solos (very similar to Revel F208s) up front and utterly dissimilar but still good measuring B&O 600s as rears.

Whether using XT32 or ARC for EQ they blend just fine.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Speaking of the woofer - this is a 6" woofer while the f206 uses a similar but not identical 5.25 for mid and 2x6.5 for bass. How then does the BMR go lower? Is it all about the port tuning? It's not like the cabinet is bigger for the BMR.

I don't think this question was ever addressed. If you double up on a given woofer, the cabinet volume has to be twice that for a single woofer in order to preserve the same bass extension. I haven't done the math, so I don't know whether the Revel cabinet volume is twice that of the BMR. That assumes the same box tuning. If the box is tuned for greater output in the midbass, then that will also sacrifice bass extension. I don't know what the facts are here, but it's certainly possible and even likely that the Revel cabinet and choice of tuning results in a more rapid roll-off in bass response.

OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Office Redux - Setup
Below words are random.

As promised, some setup measurements...

This morning, the family was out for an hour, so I was able to take some comparative toe-in measurements.

My methodology was to start with zero toe, then incrementally add 1/2" toe-in, measured as the difference from each back corner of the speaker to the front wall. I stopped at 2", which had the speakers pointed directly at the MLP.

These measurements were taken 1.5" farther from the front wall, averaging 9.75" this time.

The speakers are now sitting on 24" stands, which work better than the taller stands I used before. My ears are new a couple inches above the tweeters when I sit up straight, and in line with the tweeters when I slouch in my chair.

Interestingly, the wide directivity of these speakers means there is little difference between toe angle measurements. This is also very obvious in listening tests. Making Johnny Cash dance on my nose is far too easy.

As before, REW's RTA was employed to take >60 averages within and around a roughly 18" cube at the MLP using the MMM. I used 1/6 smoothing this time to make the overlays easier to read.

Left speaker overlay showing only 0", 1", and 2" for clarity:
BMR Left Speaker Uncorrected Toe Angle MMM Overlay - Office.png

Right speaker overlay showing only 0", 1", and 2" for clarity:
BMR Right Speaker Uncorrected Toe Angle MMM Overlay - Office.png

If you assumed the 0.5 and 1.5" measurements fall within the bounds created by the 0 and 2" measurements, you would be pretty much correct.

Predictably, the speakers lose a little high frequency energy when pointed straight ahead. There is not any obvious directivity error when moving off axis. This is confirmed in @hardisj and Audioholics' measurements.

Pointing them directly at the MLP provides the smoothest response by half a decibel or so here and there.

I am going with 1" for aesthetic reasons. Time to make some PEQ filters for EQ APO and shoot measurements of the corrected response. I may activate the 15 day Dirac trial and see what it can do with them just to add another dimension to the review.

Just for fun, here is the left Roadshow speaker overlaid with the 1" measurement from above. These are not level-matched, and remember the Roadshow speakers were on 8" taller stands and 1.5" closer to the front wall.
BMR Left Roadshow vs Steve Dallas Overlay MMM.png

Last edited:

Ericglo

I was curious what an all white driver model would look like. I am not a graphic artist obviously.:)

Attachments

• 20201224_130757-1a.jpg
    20201224_130757-1a.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 206

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Subjective Listening Results - Media Room

Now, I will channel Zeos and stop cleaning my house, err... I mean play This-OR-That (ignoring cost):
  • BMRs or Revel F206s - F206s
  • BMRs or Revel M106s - BMRs
  • BMRs or KEF R3s - BMRs in wide directivity applications, R3s in narrower directivity applications
  • BMRs or JBL 580s - BMRs
  • BMRs or B&W N805s - BMRs
  • BMRs or B&W N804s - BMRs
  • BMRs or Dynaudio X18s - Hahahahahahahahaha! Be serious.
I'm currently debating M106 vs BMR. Can you please provide any details on comparing these two directly? Do you currently own the M106's, or are you comparing from memory? Thanks!

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I'm currently debating M106 vs BMR. Can you please provide any details on comparing these two directly? Do you currently own the M106's, or are you comparing from memory? Thanks!

Do you have subs? There's a pretty substantial difference in low end extension in favor of the BMR. Because I have two subs I ended up going for a used pair of the M106 .

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Do you have subs? There's a pretty substantial difference in low end extension in favor of the BMR. Because I have two subs I ended up going for a used pair of the M106 .
I have one sub, but it's low quality so I'm not expecting much from it. I'd like to not use it unless needed or for an occasional rock/electronic session. I will be using these for near field listening (primarily music listening). My main speaker requirements are 1) no EQ required, sound great out of the box (though EQ may help), 2) no sub required (for most music), 3) sound great near filed (at least good elsewhere should I decide to move it later), 4) $2k budget, 5) not bright or fatiguing (neutral preference, slightly warm ok). These will be powered by a Purifi amp.

@Jmudrick @Steve Dallas @Dennis Murphy Thoughts? I see the spin data at Erin's BMR and compare to @amirm M106 data, but the current BMR is now improved so direct comparisons are not exact. I've heard neither in person so I can't comment. I'm coming from a pair of HSU Research HB-1 MK2 and a Dual 10" car sub.

Last edited:
OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I do own a pair of M106s. I did not compare them side-by-side, however. They are roughly equivalent, but there are some key differences.
  • Both are wide directivity speakers
  • The BMRs have lower bass extension
  • The BMRs are 3 way with a wide dispersion midrange
  • The BMRs are less expensive
  • The BMRs are flat on top, so you can use a $#@%&*! level
  • The M106s have better vertical directivity at high frequencies (better if your ears will be more than 20 to 30 degrees above the tweeter)
My recommendation is the BMR, if you have room for them and like the styling and finish options. But you can't go wrong with the M106 either. It is a fine speaker.

OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Office Redux - More Setup
Fewer words. More graphs.

In this post, I more or less go through my process for applying simple PEQ room correction in 3 rounds of measurement.

FIRST ROUND
Obviously, the first round of measurements is finding out what the speakers do in the room uncorrected. I use the measurement method I have described several times in this thread to take 2 measurements each of left, right, and stereo. The reason I take 2 each is to make sure the measurements are repeatable.

Left speaker uncorrected:
BMR Left Uncorrected- Office.png

Right speaker uncorrected:
BMR Right Uncorrected- Office.png

Stereo uncorrected:
BMR Stereo Uncorrected- Office.png

I use the left and right plots to create PEQ filters for each speaker and load those into Equalizer APO, then re-measure. Filter creation usually involves letting REW take a shot at it, then plenty of manual edits are applied.

Left speaker predicted:
BMR Left Predicted Correction - Office.png

Right speaker predicted:
BMR Right Predicted Correction - Office.png

SECOND ROUND
I alluded to this earlier, but due to summing effects, phase stuff, and whatever else, individual cuts to bass modes are usually not enough, and any boosted frequencies are exaggerated. I know this well and usually compensate for it, but I chose not to this time for illustration purposes. These measurements show the results of the above predicted EQ.

All looks decent in the individual results, but the stereo result shows a few dB too much in several bands. More work needed.

Left speaker corrected:
BMR Left Corrected 1 - Office.png

Looks pretty good. Three hundred to 600Hz could be pulled down a little more. Other stuff is narrow in Q.

Right speaker corrected:
BMR Right Corrected 1 - Office.png

Not too shabby.

Stereo corrected:
BMR Stereo Corrected 1 - Office.png

Well crap. Back to the first measurements to tweak the EQ. This usually consists of pulling down the offending room modes more and reducing the amount of boost applied.

THIRD ROUND
This should simply be a verification measurement. Sometimes I wall make some very minor tweaks after the results of Round 2 are known.

Left speaker corrected again:
BMR Left Corrected 2 - Office.png

Right speaker corrected again:
BMR Right Corrected 2 - Office.png

Stereo corrected again:
BMR Stereo Corrected 2 - Office.png

Now I have reached the point where the transgressions are mostly imperceptible. I know which frequencies to adjust a little more, so I will do that, but I do not need to re-measure, as the adjustments will be small, and I can accurately predict the results.

When I had the Roadshow speakers here, I brute forced them in stereo in my office, but took the time to go through all 3 rounds in the media room.

Those broad nulls are unfortunate and the fault of the terrible room. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to get Dirac working on my PC and see what it can do.

The speakers are still sounding very good where things sit though.

And for giggles, here is the stereo result with psychoacoustic smoothing:
BMR Stereo Corrected 2 Psy - Office.png

If that is truly how we hear, it is no wonder I no longer hear anything 'wrong.'

Last edited:

doug s.

i'm anxiously awaiting your opinion of the bmr's/revel's in your media room, when you actually move the new bmr's to where the revel's are, and move the revels to where you had the roadshow bmr's. after sufficient break-in, of course. ;)

doug s.
Yeah, I would not last a single minute with that crooked tweeter. Allthethings must be plumb and level around here!

Speaking of things around here, things are happening around here...

View attachment 104742

You want measurements? And words? You will get many of both!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one sub, but it's low quality so I'm not expecting much from it. I'd like to not use it unless needed or for an occasional rock/electronic session. I will be using these for near field listening (primarily music listening). My main speaker requirements are 1) no EQ required, sound great out of the box (though EQ may help), 2) no sub required (for most music), 3) sound great near filed (at least good elsewhere should I decide to move it later), 4) $2k budget, 5) not bright or fatiguing (neutral preference, slightly warm ok). These will be powered by a Purifi amp.

@Jmudrick @Steve Dallas @Dennis Murphy Thoughts? I see the spin data at Erin's BMR and compare to @amirm M106 data, but the current BMR is now improved so direct comparisons are not exact. I've heard neither in person so I can't comment. I'm coming from a pair of HSU Research HB-1 MK2 and a Dual 10" car sub.
Near-field I would go with the Revel over a 3-way using a vertical ribbon.

However there are probably even better choices. Look at the Genelec 8040. Meets all of your requirements. Skip the amp.

OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
i'm anxiously awaiting your opinion of the bmr's/revel's in your media room, when you actually move the new bmr's to where the revel's are, and move the revels to where you had the roadshow bmr's. after sufficient break-in, of course. ;)

doug s.

I hope you are not holding your breath... Break-in could take YEARS! And I haven't even started swapping cables yet!

doug s.

:D
i'm ok w/100 hrs break-in. no need for anything more complex than what you did w/the roadshow pair. i only wish you'd done the speaker position swap w/the roadshow pair - curious if there would have been any differences.

doug s.
I hope you are not holding your breath... Break-in could take YEARS! And I haven't even started swapping cables yet!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
:D
i'm ok w/100 hrs break-in. no need for anything more complex than what you did w/the roadshow pair. i only wish you'd done the speaker position swap w/the roadshow pair - curious if there would have been any differences.

doug s.
Why would there be any difference?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Steve Dallas very nice review, thank you for all the work.

My observation is the BMR's are on the large size for a stand mount and might benefit from shorter stands 18"/50 cm. I might have missed it, but Salk builds these with a wide range of finishes for more money.

Top Bottom