• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arendal 1723 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 148 56.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 77 29.4%

• Total voters

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Why buy MTM? Everyone knows inherent problems. Upright, sideways or corkscrewed to a dart board.
I assume you're equating restricted vertical dispersion (when oriented vertically) as a "problem." And it is if you're standing next to the speakers. But at a normal listening position, many would consider that "problem" as a virtue or as benign. I don't think this is a settled issue, but I also don't think you should be so dismissive of the MTM design, as least not when the speaker is mounted vertically.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I assume you're equating restricted vertical dispersion (when oriented vertically) as a "problem." And it is if you're standing next to the speakers. But at a normal listening position, many would consider that "problem" as a virtue or as benign. I don't think this is a settled issue, but I also don't think you should be so dismissive of the MTM design, as least not when the speaker is mounted vertically.
I remain dismissive. Just don't like the design.

montyliam

See this.

Facts are Adrenal has been sending out review units left and right to any and everyone on social media so it's not shocking there is a lot of hype built up. Like I said before, I don't fault them as a business for doing such at all.

I've only been pointing out speakers that cost much less that have better specs on paper. If we want to compare apples to apples, the PSA MTM-210 certainly would clown on the 1723 Monitor and there's two models of it with various finishes, and both cost less.

Perhaps there are good use cases for the 1723 THX, but clearly it's marketed for HT and falls short of what THX is suppose to represent.
Here we go again…. This is an Arendal review thread, not X speaker is better because the spec sheet says it so.

duce

Here we go again…. This is an Arendal review thread, not X speaker is better because the spec sheet says it so.

Again, if people are going to proclaim a speaker has good value, it's reasonable various speakers can be contrasted. You have another agenda if you find fault in that.

And of course we all value different things. I never slandered these speakers and in fact previously posted that I think they are a good value for what they are; nice looking speakers with good measurements, return policy, etc. But, I do think they fall short on the ability to play at THX reference levels and they aren't unicorns.

montyliam

Again, if people are going to proclaim a speaker has good value, it's reasonable various speakers can be contrasted. You have another agenda if you find fault in that.

And of course we all value different things. I never slandered these speakers and in fact previously posted that I think they are a good value for what they are; nice looking speakers with good measurements, return policy, etc. But, I do think they fall short on the ability to play at THX reference levels and they aren't unicorns.
How many times does it need to be said, you are comparing random spec sheets with Klippel NFS measurements. Absolutely pointless and offers nothing to the discussion besides ‘X speaker is cheaper and it’s spec sheet says it handles more power so it must be better value for money’. I’ll repeat it again for you, powerhandling specs need to be combined with distortion and or compression tests for them to be useful.

duce

How many times does it need to be said, you are comparing random spec sheets with Klippel NFS measurements. Absolutely pointless and offers nothing to the discussion besides ‘X speaker is cheaper and it’s spec sheet says it handles more power so it must be better value for money’. I’ll repeat it again for you, powerhandling specs need to be combined with distortion and or compression tests for them to be useful.

I shared a link with testing that found 1723 Monitors compressing near 90 dB...

montyliam

I shared a link with testing that found 1723 Monitors compressing near 90 dB...
Brilliant, share some links of compression/distortion tests for the rest of the speakers you are linking.

paulgyro

See this.

Facts are Adrenal has been sending out review units left and right to any and everyone on social media so it's not shocking there is a lot of hype built up. Like I said before, I don't fault them as a business for doing such at all.

I've only been pointing out speakers that cost much less that have better specs on paper. If we want to compare apples to apples, the PSA MTM-210 certainly would clown on the 1723 Monitor and there's two models of it with various finishes, and both cost less.

Perhaps there are good use cases for the 1723 THX, but clearly it's marketed for HT and falls short of what THX is suppose to represent.

I remain dismissive. Just don't like the design.
That's fine to not like but not perhaps not ask 'why' when design advantages are well documented. All designs have pro/cons.

paulgyro

You are making assertions with no data to support. It's ok to express feelings but not as facts as you assert. This is Audio Science Review after all.

duce

You are making assertions with no data to support. It's ok to express feelings but not as facts as you assert. This is Audio Science Review after all.

I linked to the data about them starting to compress at only 90dB. You have the speakers and can do the same test yourself if you aren't afraid of damaging them.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With measurements very close to Amir's one for the 1723 THX Monitor:
1000019511.png
1000019508.png

And the smaller 1723 THX S Monitor:
1000019509.png

Rollie

This or (1723 s) vs revel m106 for a center channel? I would have to use the arendal horizontally until I have a dedicated space and then I would run it vertically.

sugarhome

That is one of the contenders to replace my Triads.
Hi, what kind of Triad speakers do you have? Triad Gold LCR? I am trying to decide this speakers or Triad Gold LRC in-room ?

note: I can get triad at dealer costs via wify.

Rollie

Depends, what are your FL and FR?
Right now I have Polk r200s as my mains. But I want to upgrade those to either the revels or arendal depending on which I get for the center channel. It’s so hard to decide because I’ve heard so many good things and reviews for both brands.

Datec

Hi, what kind of Triad speakers do you have? Triad Gold LCR? I am trying to decide this speakers or Triad Gold LRC in-room ?

note: I can get triad at dealer costs via wify.
I have the Triad InRoom LCR Gold's, 2 LCR's their Gold center on Triad pedestal's and 4 OnWall Gold surrounds

Top Bottom