• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

Daaadou

I could be a French teacher here @ ASR. That would be an appropriate banner.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/performant
Je pourrais toujours donner un petit coup de main si il y a besoin :D
ASR a de très bonnes analyses techniques du matériel donc c'est normal de voir des français venir s'informer ici.
En tout cas, c'est suite à la lecture de vos tests sur le UB9000 que j'ai validé mon achat.

I received the device this weekend, it does an excellent job, really happy with it.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Je pourrais toujours donner un petit coup de main si il y a besoin :D
ASR a de très bonnes analyses techniques du matériel donc c'est normal de voir des français venir s'informer ici.
En tout cas, c'est suite à la lecture de vos tests sur le UB9000 que j'ai validé mon achat.

I received the device this weekend, it does an excellent job, really happy with it.

Oui, un Français de France ça fait très bien. Moi mon Français est Canadien Québécois. Mais mes ancêtres venaient de France bien entendu, par voiliers traversant l'Atlantique.

La machine Panasonic 9000 est très bien performante tant que visuel et auditif.
En vie réelle (voir et entendre) et en vie de science (mesurements).
HDR Optimizer is the real deal.
Puis l'intérieur est construit en fonction de rendement audio haute fidélité.

J'aimerais beaucoup voir des mesurements pour des machines (DACs, amps, preamps, etc.) très dispendieuses, pour voir si les prix extrêmement excessifs justifient le rendement audio. La même chose avec les câbles d'enceintes qui coûtent $50,000 US pour une paire.

Mais l'excès c'est normal sur notre planète Terre, ça divise les classes riches des classes pauvres dans un système déséquilibré et aveugle. D'après moi bien entendu.
C'est comme une guerre d'imbalance au service des poussées de petteurs de broue.

On pourrait écrire une encyclopédie sur ce sujet et ça prendrait une vie à la lire.

m8o

Forum Donor

Wictionary isn't an authority. lol
I used to use performant. Then came to understand it's not actually a word in the english language. Like using "ain't" in a conversation. Its slang. Calling it a "technical term" does not make it a word; it's slang. While performative is a word and means what is intended with performant. Plain & simple. ;) So I use that. And make it my life's work to stamp out the use of that stupid word, performant. :p

Last edited:

m8o

Forum Donor
If I were interviewing someone for a software development position, I wouldn't hire someone that uses it as a word then is obtuse about it when told it's not actually a word (english implied).

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
No, you use it in the French language, not in English.
Lol ... And I'm not looking for a job.

"Performance" ... that word now is the same in both languages...French and English.

Cane1992

Correct. This is for people who want to wire up an alternate analog path and get the best audio performance possible.

What about just getting the UB820 and then getting a good DAC for the better audio?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about just getting the UB820 and then getting a good DAC for the better audio?

For the audio features, it’s reasonable other than dealing with more cables.

The UB9000 has a quieter drive when you are watching UHD movies though. The UB420 is an even better deal if you have a Samsung TV or something that doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

EDIT: oh yeah, Amir had a great point. DACs work for playing with the DLNA. For Blu-ray and UHD in high resolution, you need the internal capabilities.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem is that Blu-ray/UHD copy protection mandates that any unprotected digital outputs must be limited to 16 bits/48 kHz. This forces a down sample of anything above that with heaven knows what quality.

Cane1992

The problem is that Blu-ray/UHD copy protection mandates that any unprotected digital outputs must be limited to 16 bits/48 kHz. This forces a down sample of anything above that with heaven knows what quality.

So how would you set up a UB820 with a Topping DX7 Pro DAC? What input/outputs to use? I am getting them both delivered today and was going to experiment and see how it sounds. I was thinking to use the UB820 audio out only HDMI to the DX7 Pro I2S and then use the XLF out to my Yamaha 5100. Was going to test the DX7 Pro with a media streamer as well. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So how would you set up a UB820 with a Topping DX7 Pro DAC? What input/outputs to use? I am getting them both delivered today and was going to experiment and see how it sounds. I was thinking to use the UB820 audio out only HDMI to the DX7 Pro I2S and then use the XLF out to my Yamaha 5100. Was going to test the DX7 Pro with a media streamer as well. Thoughts?

I2S uses the HDMI physical connector but is NOT an HDMI signal. You have to use the coaxial or optical connector.

Cane1992

I2S uses the HDMI physical connector but is NOT an HDMI signal. You have to use the coaxial or optical connector.

Thanks was unsure about that having never used or had a I2S input. Thought I might get lucky in that the Panasonic had a 2nd audio only HDMI. Will use the optical. Curious what uses an I2S output?

Cane1992

Well the CD's are 16 bit/44 kHz just thought playing them through the DX7 Pro it would sound better than from the Panasonic. And I wouldn't be streaming music through the Panasonic either use the BT or have a media streamer like the Rocketfish RF-BTR319.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the CD's are 16 bit/44 kHz just thought playing them through the DX7 Pro it would sound better than from the Panasonic. And I wouldn't be streaming music through the Panasonic either use the BT or have a media streamer like the Rocketfish RF-BTR319.

Yes. For CDs, just use coax or toslink and it will work great.

Bt/Rocketfish will decrease performance since it's lossy. If you have lossless FLACs or similar files on your PC/Mac/NAS, using the Panasonic as a DLNA device will give you extra performance.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
amirm said:
I don't know of a direct synonym for Preformant or I would use it.

"Performant" ... a simple typo above.
* Functioning well or as expected.

A synonym: Effective, efficient, successful, responsive, functional.
The Panasonic 9000 Blu-ray player is efficient, ... successful, performant.

Hey, it's a sunny day and I'm smiling behind my mask and shades. :cool:
I'm shopping right now, @ the audio/video store for a new 4K Blu-ray player.
They have AC ... highly performant. ...Too hot outside in the sun, or unless swimming in the ocean where the water is nice and cool.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I have the UB-820 and the picture quality is great.. Unfortunately, I get audio sync issues over analogue, optical, AND the second HDMI out port when watching disc-based movies (tried dozens of different settings), so I'm forced to get 16/48 audio from the optical out on my TV which is the only way it offers perfect lip sync. And yes, I have adjusted audio delay but that tends to make things worse. Interestingly, audio is in perfect sync when watching netflix, amazon, or video files from the unit from any output. It's just discs (DVD, BR, UHD BR) that have trouble with audio sync.

I might just have to spend some money on one of those HD Fury extractors and be done with it if I want 24-bit intstead of dithered 16-bit.

DapperDanMan

If I were interviewing someone for a software development position, I wouldn't hire someone that uses it as a word then is obtuse about it when told it's not actually a word (english implied).

If that's part of your hiring criteria, I suspect you're doing them a tremendous favor by saving them from the experience of working for you. It's really a win-win ;)

Top Bottom