• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blu-ray DTS HD Master Audio content. How to get 2 channel output to preferred DAC.

entact

I have a few Blu-ray discs that contain 24/96 DTS HD Master Audio content. I want to be able to output the stream to to a quality DAC and then into my 2 channel audio system (much preferred and separate from my Denon AVR-X2700H AV 7.2 receiver).

Both my Panasonic HD Blu-ray DP-UB820 and my Denon AV receiver AVR-X2700H appear to be able to output DTS HD Master Audio content as 2 channel over eARC HDMI. While this sounds promising, how can I take that and get the signal into a DAC to output the Hi-Res file as analog?

I can't seem to find a stand-alone DAC or even a streamer that accepts eARC. My NAD M10 V2 only accepts ARC which does not support DTS HD Master Audio. So I'm searching for other options. Theoretically, I'd prefer to send the signal over wireless HDMI as the audio system is across the theater from the AV system (connected only over CAT6 or WiFi).

Examples of content:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn’t your UB820 be able to convert your DTS HD into multichannel PCM which your NAD can then process even without eARC?

OP
E

entact

I'm not sure what would occur with HDMI from DP-UB820 to NAD M10 V2. NAD M10 V2 is clealy ARC only and per https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

"It’s worth noting ARC doesn’t allow you to bitstream the full-fat high-quality codecs such as Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtracks that you find on Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays. It simply strips out the core 5.1 data stream. If you want this level of functionality, you’ll need HDMI eARC."

Whare would the conversion to PCM occur and how would I get the signal to NAD M10 V2?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what would occur with HDMI from DP-UB820 to NAD M10 V2. NAD M10 V2 is clealy ARC only and per https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

"It’s worth noting ARC doesn’t allow you to bitstream the full-fat high-quality codecs such as Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtracks that you find on Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays. It simply strips out the core 5.1 data stream. If you want this level of functionality, you’ll need HDMI eARC."

Whare would the conversion to PCM occur and how would I get the signal to NAD M10 V2?

I made a mistake thinking that the NAD has a HDMI input that is separate from the eARC port.

But the V2 does seem to have eARC on the back?
1704727176400.jpeg

Does your TV have eARC? If it doesn’t, then you can use this to trick your NAD into thinking the TV has eARC:

Top Bottom