• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 495 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

H-713

The only way to properly test the sonic quality of any USB cable is to turn it into an audio cable. Cut off the connectors and wire it up to some XLR connectors and see how it performs as far as noise immunity, frequency response, and cable specs such as LCR. Then, and only then, will we have the answer that so many seek.
I'd say it's the other way around, since USB requires much wider bandwidth than 20 kHz audio, and the connectors are all part of that.

The "right" solution probably involves some time making a couple breakout boards (and yes, layout does matter in this case) that will allow them to be connected to suitable test equipment. But before that matters, does Amir have a network analyzer?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Nordost Tyr 2 USB cable. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,400 (no typo).
Who on earth are the 7 people (so far) who have voted "great"???

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these cables certified as USB 2.0? I am guessing not.

aslan7

The essential question here is how long does it take for the cable to warm up.

jools

Forum Donor
That’s a lie. First Run Copper has a $1,000,000 challenge out that Amir refuses to accept. It’s at the bottom of their website, but no cable denier has been willing to take the challenge. FirstRunCopper.com
Wow... let's see if I understand this...
Step 1 - just got to start a youtube channel and build up 20,000 subscribers somehow
Step 2 - buy some of their cable to test - let's say two six foot lengths of the 12 guage at over $100k
Step 3 - test it - at first they say "by any method" I like but in the next sentence it specifies "listening" as what they will accept
Step 4 - try to claim the million dollars as the cable is no better than a cheap but adequate alternative - but then I'm sure the cable is not bad so get hit with the argument that it IS the joint best cable I've ever heard and being stupidly overpriced does not affect that
Step 5 - attempt to at least return the cables under the 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed Warranty, only to discover that the warranty only covers cables which have been run in for more than 250 hours in less than 10 days. As I have foolishly neglected to do my testing while travelling at close to light speed, I'm out of luck. And $100k.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Wow... let's see if I understand this...
It's a joke. :cool:
... although it took a few posts for people to catch on here;

JSmith

Tks

Major Contributor
There are many, many people out there who have never turned their minds to the idea of "high-end cables" one way or the other. Those people decide to buy a nice sound system, walk into a high-end shop, and the salesperson talks their ears off about how they need to drop $1,000 on interconnects or their $3,000 system is worthless. On its face, of course, it makes sense - you need to make sure the things that're carrying the signal between the source, the amp, and the speakers are up to the task! What the salesperson isn't telling them (or doesn't know) is that "up to the task" is, in 99% of scenarios, whatever cheap cable came in the box with the damn thing.

So it's a service to those people to continue to repeat, and to demonstrate with sound evidence, that this is a bunch of bullshit intended to separate fools from their money.

Worst part about the logic here, is assuming whatever "cheap cable" came in the box with the product, is defective in the first place. Maybe someone here in product development can correct me if I'm wrong. But please tell me how big of a fuck-up would it be if you were for instance a television manufacturer, and for whatever reason, the team tasked with finalizing the product and it having the proper accessories needed for operation - somehow let slip by them not any fault with the TV, but instead the power or video data cable.. The user not naturally assuming something like defective cabling to be an issue (since this is never the issue in my experience with any product ever) instead will assume the display is somehow defective. And then your company is now on the hook with the consumer confusion mess, all over some stupid cables that a bit of QC would have easily taken care of.

A functional issue over some brand-new processor or software that runs an entirely new function within the television, that's something no sane person would go crazy over and looking someone to blame or fire. But imagine borking a product release because the cable you included in the box is botched... Heads would roll if that were to happen just due to the level of negligence that had to be present during the testing phase.

So in fact, if one stops to think for a moment, they would see that the cable that comes in the box with a product, almost certainly stands to to reason is in fact a completely proper cable to be using.

I'd wager anything things like power or data cables, are something big manufacturers absolutely make sure is something that works reliably and safe for typical operation. Far more than any of these little luxury cable sellers. Last time I seen negligence on this front, was when Samsung let loose fire-catching batteries on their Note series of smartphone (so bad in fact, it led to bans on things like airplanes, and now we learn, essentially canceling of the entire Note line by name in virtue of this forever tarnished reputation that will be brought up anytime the phone is mentioned). Not a single person writing articles on the issue sympathized with a hypothetical notion that incident was somehow an unavoidable situation, it just was a gross design/testing failure of negligence. Also, anyone that knows ANYTHING about batteries, especially the Li-Ion or LiPo sorts used in phones know these things can physically distort the more they are pushed either through charging or discharging rate.

Tks

Major Contributor
It's a joke. :cool:
... although it took a few posts for people to catch on here;

JSmith
When I clicked on the site, I saw it was HTTP only.. Instant dead giveaway. Surprised sites like that even exist anymore.

Then at the bottom, was the funniest self-back-patting about how their giveaway is an amazing philanthropic ordeal.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are some cables from greyish market channel that don't follow any specifications, it's possible that you can buy some duds for 1.99$ and have problems, but if they are certified and you don't use more than 5m for USB2 you should be fine (normally DACS don't use USB3.).How long is your cable?
My first attempt was with a 15 ft cable and directly from the Mac to the DAC. No good.

Then I switched to using Ropieee 2.2 with a RP4 (Mac--> ethernet--> RP4--> USB--> DAC and I used the short and substantial cable that came with the DAC. That too was a problem. Then I bought another cable on Amazon and since then I've had zero issues. The DAC manufacturer actually suggested switching the cable so maybe they had problems with it.....

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
The user not naturally assuming something like defective cabling to be an issue (since this is never the issue in my experience with any product ever) instead will assume the display is somehow defective. And then your company is now on the hook with the consumer confusion mess, all over some stupid cables that a bit of QC would have easily taken care of.
Well, it happened to me twice. (see my post directly above), My USB cable that came in the DAC box couldn't handle DSD. And another time I had cable problems was my Amazon Basic HDMI cable with an Apple TV couldn't handle Dolby Vision. From the Apple web site, I found they had tested various cables and found them wanting. They actually found only one that worked. Belkin High speed. I bought that pricey cable and everything worked.

PeteL

Major Contributor
My first attempt was with a 15 ft cable and directly from the Mac to the DAC. No good.

Then I switched to using Ropieee 2.2 with a RP4 (Mac--> ethernet--> RP4--> USB--> DAC and I used the short and substantial cable that came with the DAC. That too was a problem. Then I bought another cable on Amazon and since then I've had zero issues. The DAC manufacturer actually suggested switching the cable so maybe they had problems with it.....
OK, so just to be clear, you switched cables, but your current working setup is with a 15 feet USB or with Ethernet streaming and a short USB? because it can be 2 different problems.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well, it happened to me twice. (see my post directly above), My USB cable that came in the DAC box couldn't handle DSD. And another time I had cable problems was my Amazon Basic HDMI cable with an Apple TV couldn't handle Dolby Vision. From the Apple web site, I found they had tested various cables and found them wanting. They actually found only one that worked. Belkin High speed. I bought that pricey cable and everything worked.
Not handling DSD? Not sure why, and is something I can imagine most DAC makers would fluke perhaps, at least any that have any stake with DSD support (which is always finnicky in the first place).

As for the second instance, why would it be relevant? Apple TV's don't come with Amazon HDMI cables, or any HDMI cable at all (at least no Apple 4K TV, idk what's been their offerings in the past). And if you bought a cable as a replacement for the Apple TV from Apple's website.. that's precisely the sort of cable that should work. Now if THAT didn't work, then that would be somewhat hilarious.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
OK, so just to be clear, you switched cables, but your current working setup is with a 15 feet USB or with Ethernet streaming and a short USB? because it can be 2 different problems.
Current=RP4 and 1ft cable

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Not handling DSD? Not sure why, and is something I can imagine most DAC makers would fluke perhaps, at least any that have any stake with DSD support (which is always finnicky in the first place).

As for the second instance, why would it be relevant? Apple TV's don't come with Amazon HDMI cables, or any HDMI cable at all (at least no Apple 4K TV, idk what's been their offerings in the past). And if you bought a cable as a replacement for the Apple TV from Apple's website.. that's precisely the sort of cable that should work. Now if THAT didn't work, then that would be somewhat hilarious.
Both are bandwidths issues

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
OK, so what you are saying is that the USB cable that came with your DAC was Faulty?
Seems that way. Only with DSD, though. FLAC hi res was OK. Maybe just undersized not faulty.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Seems that way. Only with DSD, though. FLAC hi res was OK
Trouble shooting can be a pain sometime, and I don't doubt your finding that in the end swapping the cable made it work, but I can guarantee to you that there is no "bandwith" issue with streaming DSD over a USB 2 connection across 1 feet. The spec allow for much much more DATA than that. There is just something odd that happened. Not to say that cable issues can't happen, it may, but it's a perturbation, an interference an oddity, not simply that one cable allow more bandwith than the other, certainly not over one foot.

Top Bottom