• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 494 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters

Kremmen

I think some people want to believe in something, no matter how hard or easy it is.
Some people in this thread basically expressed that only idiots would buy this but I know a handful of successful guys who are way more educated and sophisticated than me, they got good rationality in business sense and 'daily life common sense' YET they go fully wild with audio accessories and components. One of them is even an ex-electrical engineer of Toshiba, I refuse to think that that guy is somehow not aware of how cables and electricity work.
It's a good point you have raised but I do know numerous, well-educated people who have occasionally surprised me with their lack of common sense. I believe, for example, that plain old superstitious beliefs can have a detrimental effect on such people's reasoning.

elvisizer

I think some people want to believe in something, no matter how hard or easy it is.
Some people in this thread basically expressed that only idiots would buy this but I know a handful of successful guys who are way more educated and sophisticated than me, they got good rationality in business sense and 'daily life common sense' YET they go fully wild with audio accessories and components. One of them is even an ex-electrical engineer of Toshiba, I refuse to think that that guy is somehow not aware of how cables and electricity work.
Anyone have argument from false authority on their fallacy bingo card?

deniall83

Just to make you either laugh or cry ...
Nordost has a 75Ohms cable, OK, an SPDIF cable they call the Odin-2. It cost the eye-watering amount of $14,000.oo.

Here's a review of the Odin-2 non-digital cables from TAS ... Speaker cables, AC Power cords and Analog interconnects ... I usually refrain from re-posting bovine manure aka BS but .. this needs to be read, perhaps as a vaccine against HEA BS.

That some people buy these things, because some do, and that some Magazines extoll their virtues illustrate the level of stupid ignorance, arrogance and villainy, humans are capable of.

Peace
The Odin 2 Speaker cables are $82,000 for a 3 metre pair in Australia. Do you think I could get them down to $75k? Might be worth it at that price.

Katji

Major Contributor
Can you understand that a cable does not produce any SOUND, unlike a transducer (headphone, etc.). There is no such thing as the sound of cable, when used as an electrical conductor, it is all about electricity and can be entirely measured, these electric properties belong to 19th century science.
And the whole thing, the technology to record and reproduce sound, was founded in that science. Based on it. Nothing else.
19th century science, and that based on earlier science.
One of the "arguments" is like "science does not [yet] know everything." Although the technology was based on that science which was known. So the implication might be that there was some divine intervention, like the god or the angels or the fairies said "Oh, this is so nice what they are doing, let me help them by secretly adding something."

1657340354608.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the "arguments" is like "science does not [yet] know everything."
It's wishful thinking and postulations from people with no knowledge about the technology and fundamentals of electronics. Put them in a post secondary electronics study for 2 months and they will have a big eye opener just getting the principles down and not getting the fundamentals.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
And the whole thing, the technology to record and reproduce sound, was founded in that science. Based on it. Nothing else.
19th century science, and that based on earlier science.
One of the "arguments" is like "science does not [yet] know everything." Although the technology was based on that science which was known. So the implication might be that there was some divine intervention, like the god or the angels or the fairies said "Oh, this is so nice what they are doing, let me help them by secretly adding something."

View attachment 217206
Well said. It's a depressing fact that a large proportion of humanity still believes in magic. This applies to just about anything. Audiophoolery is just one small example.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The Odin 2 Speaker cables are $82,000 for a 3 metre pair in Australia. Do you think I could get them down to $75k? Might be worth it at that price.
I know you're joking so why not get a fake from AliExpress? It will look the same and probably sound the same (I'm not ruling out the possibility that the electrical characteristics are sufficiently different to make an audible difference). <https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...speaker+cable&spm=a2g0o.productlist.1000002.0>

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Rune Skov (now a sales dude at Gryphon, previously sales dude at Nordost): "foundation theory" :)
Watch this from 2:44 and some seconds onwards.
foundation theory.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
1657366945252.png

:) First time i used the translator for something like that. I was going to send it to Google. I should've recognised it because it's close to Afrikaans/Dutch/German.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor

tiramisu

Don't get me wrong I am tired of buying the junkiest USB cables that can be manufactured but this is the definition of gullible.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Just so that you know, that is their mid-tier AC Power cords... There are 3 other power cords above it;

1. Odin Gold ... at $35,000.oo
  2. Odin ................ at $18,000.oo
  3. Valhalla ........... at $around $5,000.oo
Par for the course in the HEA...
You buy the Gryphon Preamplifier mentioned somewhere at ASR for $67,000.oo ...
The DcS Vivaldi Stack for about $111,000.oo,
the Gryphon Apex monoblocks at $275,000.oo,
An Entire Nordost Odin cables loom (Speaker, Interconnect, USB, AC Power Cord) for somewhere around $300,000.oo
and you know that whatever>= $350,000.oo the pair speakers you choose will sound good :rolleyes:......

Then comes ASR and they say that a pair of Genelec 8361 + a pair of W371 for a total of $28,000.oo, which they say is a complete system, meaning you only need a source, since the DACs are inside the speakers !! ( Seriously?), would not only be better objectively, but sound better??? ... Hell NO !!!:cool:

Peace....

Gibsonian

I can understand the hunger for gain, the frauds, all of that is in our society

Yep, but that don’t surprise me that much, the power of the greed is strong in this world. Me I was more trying to imagine this guy at the Nordst boot at a trade show hustling this stuff… Damn, how can you keep a straight face… that’s what my mind can’t register… So used to lie they come to believe that BS themselves? The human mind is fascinating…
It would appear the American is living on lies based on this and many other indicators. The bigger the lie the bigger the "all in" of Americans, at least a good chunk of em.

Top Bottom