• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Espiritiv

While I do. Or own one, I was close to ordering the Monoprice M8250X, they recently had $300 off and offer free shipping on it. My guess is they are not selling as well as they thought. Their price point is a bit higher than what you can find from Internet Direct sellers, but what I will say is the Monoprice has a heat since on each module where most of the other direct brands just mount the module to the chassis and use the chassis as the heat sink. If I recall in reading the Hypex docs they suggest a heat sink, but do not require it. I needed 9 channels and if I went Class D would have needed a separate 2 channel amp for my heights. Another point made here is the Monoprice has a 5 year warranty. I have yet to see a pic of the inside of the Monoproce, but I expect it to be similar to the other Class D amps on the market, wall power routed to each module, nothing fancy other than the heat sink. Thank means it should perform identical to the other MP502 module based amps.
Pic of inside on this thread.

amper42

Major Contributor
Im going same config. 1ET400 for LCR and Hypex 8 ch for rest. Just narrowing it down to who to buy from based on warranty, specs, and price

I bought four Buckeye NC502MP stereo amps so I could use them individually in different setups or as an 8 channel. They are amazing!
I have to listen close to hear a difference between the NC502MP or the Purifi. In a home theatre setup I would go all NC502MP but it's fun to try the Purifi against the NC502MP and see if you can tell the slight difference in a blind test.

Where I can easily tell the difference is the Purifi is a bit more energy efficient and generates less heat. The Kill-a-watt shows NC502MP stereo amp using 24W at 81db listening while Purifi uses 16W. The Purifi case is a mild 85F while the NC502MP gets warm to the touch after 20 minutes. Touch each case after an hour of music and you certainly know which is which.:D

pfgiv

I bought four Buckeye NC502MP stereo amps so I could use them individually in different setups or as an 8 channel. They are amazing!

I have to listen close to hear a difference between the NC502MP or the Purifi. In a home theatre setup I would go all NC502MP but it's fun to try the Purifi against the NC502MP and see if you can tell the slight difference in a blind test.
What speakers would you really need to have in a HT set up that you need multi channel 502's? Your surrounds usually will not be using that much power, unless you have some very inefficient speakers.

amper42

Major Contributor
What speakers would you really need to have in a HT set up that you need multi channel 502's? Your surrounds usually will not be using that much power, unless you have some very inefficient speakers.

If the only function your amps will ever have is Home theatre surrounds then you can use lower power amps. However, there are two reasons I like to use NC502MP all around.
1. I like to buy amps that can be used in any of my stereo setups in various rooms. (This is why I prefer stereo amps versus an 8 channel.)
2. Having all external amps feeding the Denon 4700 in pre-out mode adds a consistency to the sound. The receiver doesn't need to make adjustments for different amp gain stages or power capabilities. All amps match.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2. Having all external amps feeding the Denon 4700 in pre-out mode adds a consistency to the sound. The receiver doesn't need to make adjustments for different amp gain stages or power capabilities. All amps match.
NC252MP has the same gain as NC502MP, so you can mix and match and the AVR levels are the same.

That is what I ended up ordering for my HT.

pfgiv

If the only function your amps will ever have is Home theatre surrounds then you can use lower power amps. However, there are two reasons I like to use NC502MP all around.
1. I like to buy amps that can be used in any of my stereo setups in various rooms. (This is why I prefer stereo amps versus an 8 channel.)
Understandable. My guess is that most people won't move amps between systems and would be much better suited to save money on power that the speakers would never use. Unless one has some seriously demanding speakers as surrounds, which is probably the smallest fractions of people, and they likely aren't here buying budget builders amps.

It was probably you earlier in the thread talking about being easier to sell off as a stereo ampx4 when it is time to upgrade, which is a valid argument. Another great argument for this is it's easier to replace 2 channels that 8 if there is a failure. Personally, I'm looking to regain some outlets and go with less cords, resale be damned! Usually a bit cheaper for one case vs 4 also.

Glad yours are working well for you!

Last edited:

Mowz

I bought the M8250x because most of my surrounds are 4 ohm, it has a five year warranty, and it appears well designed and engineered. The entertainment system is below my children's rooms so while buckeye and others may also be good, monoprice is the most reliable of the offerings. It sounds pretty great clicking on too. My AVR turns it on with the trigger, and you hear the hypex modules click on one at a time. I'm loving it after this first weekend with it.

Mowz

More reliable based on what data?
Five year warranty from a known entity vs 1 year warranty from a PhD candidate.

I am also ordering purifi for my office from Buckeye and everything on these forums points to them being quality products.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Five year warranty from a known entity vs 1 year warranty from a PhD candidate.

I am also ordering purifi for my office from Buckeye and everything on these forums points to them being quality producs.
That known entity isn't without warranty issues. I have an htp-1. I love it, but if something happens to it, currently their solution is store credit as they don't have anymore and don't have a way of fixing them. These amps are an expensive store credit item if they decide not to sell them in 2 years due to profits.

I would much rather deal with Dylan over my buckeye amps having an issue as I am sure we could work out a deal to get a replacement module and not have to replace the entire amp. Now if he decides to not do this anymore, that is the downside.

amper42

Major Contributor
I bought the M8250x because most of my surrounds are 4 ohm, it has a five year warranty, and it appears well designed and engineered. The entertainment system is below my children's rooms so while buckeye and others may also be good, monoprice is the most reliable of the offerings. It sounds pretty great clicking on too. My AVR turns it on with the trigger, and you hear the hypex modules click on one at a time. I'm loving it after this first weekend with it.
The M8525x would be a $950 total increase in price over the 8 channel Buckeye Hypex 502MP based on my quoted shipped total for the M8525x. Not sure I can point out a reason to pay 40% more but it's nice to have a choice. I would expect either unit to do well. It would be interesting to have a kill-a-watt reading on the M8525x and the Buckeye 8 channel at normal volumes and a heat test after 2 hours into a home theatre movie.

Mowz

The M8525x would be a $950 total increase in price over the 8 channel Buckeye Hypex 502MP based on my quoted shipped total for the M8525x. Not sure I can point out a reason to pay 40% more but it's nice to have a choice. I would expect either unit to do well. It would be interesting to have a kill-a-watt reading on the M8525x and the Buckeye 8 channel at normal volumes and a heat test after 2 hours into a home theatre movie.

I will post a few of these metrics but it will be a few days. I am interested in the heat metrics because the monoprice felt hotter than I expected after a movie the other day, but my only comparison class d amps are a aiyima a09 and topping pa5 (one that hasn't failed yet *crosses fingers* which are both much cooler.

Mowz

I have this amp hooked to denon 4700 and I have polk r700 mains, a kef q350 center, and 4 SLS q-lines as surrounds https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sls-audio-q-line-silver-surround-sound-system-page-3

After watching the new thor for an hour at -15db i pulled out my flir to check Temps front was 75 degrees, top was 85, hottest reading I got was 135.8 but case top bottom sides back all pretty low.

I initially had the q350 and one of the qline on 1 amp and both power cord to the same socket and I tripped protection. A few times. I put the q350 on its own (so I'm using 7 of 8 channels) and routed the second plug to another circuit and it has not happened again.

I'm not getting the power numbers sorry.

PJ 1

Hello all. I had been shopping amps for quite awhile and decided to buy the Monolith M8250x yesterday because it's currently on-sale and I was tired of missing out on similar deals. My budget was under $3K and I really like the fact that the Hypex 502MPs are packaged for Monoprice by ATI and comes with a 5yr warranty. I am replacing an Emotiva XMC-1 refurb and two of their amps: XPA-3 Gen 3, and a BasX A5175. I was able to get a great deal on a used Marantz AV8805 and have been shopping for a good amplifier to power my living room's 5.2.2 system. (I "upgraded" the processor for Atmos/Auro capability and went from 7.2 to 5.2.2. I also can't use Dirac anymore as all I have is a Mac and it's not supported. Sigh.) The Emotiva A5175 has been a solid performer and the XPA-3 was ok. Definitely noticed an edginess/graininess in my SUBJECTIVE listening that doesn't seem to be there with my A5175. (No, didn't do double-blind testing and was mindful of possible placebo affect but I expected the bias to lean toward the XPA-3 NOT the BasX. Oh well...) Perhaps the measurements ASR did on the DR2 does translate to audible differences?? It's been bulletproof otherwise.

Bottom Line- I wanted a pre/pro that could support more modern advances in sound and a single amp for the speakers. I think I did ok and will let you know if there are any obvious issues with it when it gets here.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

PJ 1

Why couldn't dirac be used with a mac? I use it all the time with my mac.

Just scroll down for dirac live for macos download

or direct link to download
I was told by Emotiva that the XMC-1 is running a different version so it won't work. I've tried using windows VM software but that only works on Intel chips not Apple's proprietary ones. Such is life. It was a great sounding processor otherwise, just got tired of some of the bugs for HDMI and lack of surround formats. Here's to hoping someone sells their Trinnov for half price in the near future!

Top Bottom