• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry he don't post in english, but if you want to find him in dcinside nickname is 나무늘보5

View attachment 273237
Interesting phase plug on that WG. I don't know that I've seen a long driver with phase plug in front of it.

Is that a commercially-available WG or proprietary to this finished speaker?

sloth_kwj

Interesting phase plug on that WG. I don't know that I've seen a long driver with phase plug in front of it.

Is that a commercially-available WG or proprietary to this finished speaker?
That waveguide was designed by Lars Risbo for Purifar's new 8" demo. It used Mundorf AMT tweeters and was optimized using COMSOL. I don't know if this will be a public design like the SPK5,8, but it hasn't been released yet.

Positivevibrations

I’m getting response flat down to 20hz with only 6dB boost in 7L sealed with these 8’s. Not bad!

IMG_0684.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_0686.jpeg

D!sco

Very nice! What’s the crossover look like? Are the 8’s wired up to be 12 ohm that way?

Positivevibrations

Very nice! What’s the crossover look like? Are the 8’s wired up to be 12 ohm that way?
Thanks!

It’s fully active 3.5 way. Upper woofer crosses over to the Bliesma mid @600hz, and runs all the way down until it naturally rolls off. Bottom 2 woofers crossover at 300hz and 6dB of boost is applied with room correction to achieve an in room response flat down to 20hz. All linear phase 4th order crossovers. A custom plate installs in the back with Hypex NCx500 amps for each driver, and a MicroAudio Cobra power supply with Mundorf caps to power them. For DAC is an in house design based on very new chip from ESS. No DAC’s on the market using it yet. SINAD up to 10v output here (0dBfs is 10v):

IMG_0998.jpeg

For digital interface I’m using Dante over fibre optic cable so they can be clock synced to unlimited other speakers.

Last edited:

Positivevibrations

'Cause purifi modified tweeters were so good, purifi made ones will undoubtedly be the new SOTA.

TMI, I have t25d&m74a pair but will change when puri-tweets launches
I’ll be trying the same. As nice as the Purifi‘s sound in the mids, running beryllium domes from 600hz up is no comparison. Makes the Purifi mids sound like cotton is in the ears in comparison. I’d be shocked if Purifi will be able to match or beat the 34mm Bliesma‘s with an aluminum dome. However with the special dome geometry maybe it’s possible.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll be trying the same. As nice as the Purifi‘s sound in the mids, running beryllium domes from 600hz up is no comparison. Makes the Purifi mids sound like cotton is in the ears in comparison. I’d be shocked if Purifi will be able to match or beat the 34mm Bliesma‘s with an aluminum dome. However with the special dome geometry maybe it’s possible.
The radiation is probably a lot wider as well.

Positivevibrations

The radiation is probably a lot wider as well.
Yes the sound stage those speakers throw is beyond anything I’ve ever experienced. And the footprint is only the size of a stand mount monitor. They’re only 40” tall 11” deep, and 10” wide. And that includes all the electronics. Just feed them AC and a thin fibre optic Ethernet cable. The only connections on the rear plates.

Positivevibrations

A THD+N vs level curve is not flat.
Yes because it varies a bit at different output levels. Which is normal for any dac. The opamps start working hard as they approach 10v, and performance suffers a bit. Something you don’t see from most dacs when you only measure up to 4v output. Not an issue for this application though as the dac won’t be required to output more than 4v.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes because it varies a bit at different output levels. Which is normal for any dac. The opamps start working hard as they approach 10v, and performance suffers a bit. Something you don’t see from most dacs when you only measure up to 4v output. Not an issue for this application though as the dac won’t be required to output more than 4v.
You are looking at the THD, I am looking at the N

Positivevibrations

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Well Dustin Foreman the head engineer at the ESS Sabre division took that sweep. You may need to shoot him an email and school him on how to run his AP. My gear can’t measure that good.
I seriously doubt that Mr. Foreman would publish such a plot. But don't worry Mike, I will let you continue spreading your BS all over. None of my business.

Positivevibrations

Oh, looks like you published somebody's measurement of some gear stating it was your gear.
We are using the exact same circuit, with the exact same parts, exact same layout with the PCB manufactured at the exact same factory. It maxes out my gear, and allows the NCx500’s to reach datasheet specs. Transparent enough for me.

How does the dac in your active speakers measure?

Top Bottom