• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pianos-notes-with-their-respective-frequencies.ppm

Not sure if you care, but I found this to be quite interesting and unexpected. Only the top two octaves play fundamentals above 1khz. The rest of the audio spectrum is typically filled with room acoustics and natural harmonics by recordings. By playing C6, you produce 1khz at the fundamental, and harmonics from the instrument and room at 2 and 3khz (and higher). This has really de emphasized mid and treble drivers in my mind and allows me to think of speaker tunings above 1khz as really being adjustable based on need and preference for acoustic information. Always linear, of course, but the line makes so much more sense now.

I still do not understand what would be your major concern and/or suggestion in your above post.

The combinations of key note tone and higher even and odd harmonics tones always give "individual sound signature" like e.g. female vocal, violin, cello, harpsichord, piano, etc. By using many sound analysis tools (sound fingerprint representations), you can objectively observe the sound signatures; such as using 3D gain-time-Fq color spectrum of Adobe Audition 3.0.1.

If you would be interested, please visit my thread entitled "An Attempt Sharing Reference Quality Music Playlist: at least a portion and/or whole track being analyzed by 3D color spectrum of Adobe Audition" and the linked many posts thereof im my project thread where you can look at many 3D gain-time-Fq color spectrums representing "sound signatures" or "sound fingerprints".
e.g. Female vocal (ref. #639):
WS004354 (1).JPG

e.g. Solo violin (with quiet piano accompaniment) (ref. #643):
WS00004556 (1).JPG

e.g. Solo harpsichord (cembaro, clavecin) (ref. #644):
WS00004638 (1).JPG

e.g. General Fq coverage of key note tone and harmonics tones by violin and cello (ref. #644):
WS00004940 (1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
We are at ASR so a directivity measurement is mandetory! :p

Nice looking speaker!
I agree :). For this I need to be able to rotate the speaker, which I cannot do at the moment. I also very curious how the speakers perform in this regard. I will definitely think of a way to perform off-axis measurements, at least horizontally.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are mine, not pretty as was really my first foray into working with wood. No measurements beyond this which is based on measurements taken of individual drivers and the like so should be near what they would measure at. Certainly the best sounding speakers I have had, built a few but this pair have stayed. Was going to go powered monitor route, but these actually sound better than the Genelec 8340 in my quick 5 or 10 minutes comparison. Obviously the Genelec's are likely far better, but I think I'm just used to these and the ribbons, domes just don't give me the microdetails I get from these.

Have sold and given away all my gear, only these remain with a Fosi Audio amp until the move later this year. Very likely these are going to stay with me.

Hang on, picture below may be from a different design, will double check and post another if that's the case.
IMG_20220713_111925.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_151541.jpg
    IMG_20210727_151541.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 32

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are mine, not pretty as was really my first foray into working with wood. No measurements beyond this which is based on measurements taken of individual drivers and the like so should be near what they would measure at. Certainly the best sounding speakers I have had, built a few but this pair have stayed. Was going to go powered monitor route, but these actually sound better than the Genelec 8340 in my quick 5 or 10 minutes comparison. Obviously the Genelec's are likely far better, but I think I'm just used to these and the ribbons, domes just don't give me the microdetails I get from these.

Have sold and given away all my gear, only these remain with a Fosi Audio amp until the move later this year. Very likely these are going to stay with me.

Hang on, picture below may be from a different design, will double check and post another if that's the case.
View attachment 356114
Sorry, this is the correct one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_175830.jpg
    IMG_20210712_175830.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 20

D!sco

I still do not understand what would be your major concern and/or suggestion in your above post.

The combinations of key note tone and higher even and odd harmonics tones always give "individual sound signature" like e.g. female vocal, violin, cello, harpsichord, piano, etc. By using many sound analysis tools (sound fingerprint representations), you can objectively observe the sound signatures; such as using 3D gain-time-Fq color spectrum of Adobe Audition 3.0.1.

If you would be interested, please visit my thread entitled "An Attempt Sharing Reference Quality Music Playlist: at least a portion and/or whole track being analyzed by 3D color spectrum of Adobe Audition" and the linked many posts thereof im my project thread where you can look at many 3D gain-time-Fq color spectrums representing "sound signatures" or "sound fingerprints".
e.g. Female vocal (ref. #639):
View attachment 356090

e.g. Solo violin (with quiet piano accompaniment) (ref. #643):
View attachment 356091

e.g. Solo harpsichord (cembaro, clavecin) (ref. #644):
View attachment 356092

e.g. General Fq coverage of key note tone and harmonics tones by violin and cello (ref. #644):
View attachment 356093
I was just reflecting on why adding resistance to the midrange and treble may not be particularly noticeable, and I am coming around to believing that the bottom 1khz and below matter most. This makes the woofer the most important part of a three way.
Definitely giving that link a read sometime today. Though I think I can get similar information watching a spectrum analyzer while my music is playing. I use iSpectrum. It has a time based graph that can reveal midi notation if you zoom in enough.

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
I was just reflecting on why adding resistance to the midrange and treble may not be particularly noticeable, and I am coming around to believing that the bottom 1khz and below matter most. This makes the woofer the most important part of a three way.
Definitely giving that link a read sometime today. Though I think I can get similar information watching a spectrum analyzer while my music is playing. I use iSpectrum. It has a time based graph that can reveal midi notation if you zoom in enough.
I was a bit to quick to jump to conclusion. It does make an audible difference but it took a while. I can clearly hear that the mids and especially the highs are a bit lower in level now and the sound is better this way. I might even go a bit lower.

Top Bottom