• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann MT 48

fabien.56

I didn't have fun looking at the exact location of the USB connectors...
This has an influence on the characteristics announced ???
The performance ???

Michel Forbes

Yep, that was my point, this is good for a studio that needs a really excellent, small number of channels, but for other use cases it's overkill / irrelevant.
It depends what your considered irrelevant.
Using the Anubis in our case remove about 10,000$ equipement.
Having the possibility of using DSP on each speaker output paid for the unit itself.
We add a HDMI to AES67 converter and we could switch flawlessely between a DAW and a Gaming console.
Just the volume control replace a SPL Volume 8.

Curvature

Major Contributor
It depends what your considered irrelevant.
Using the Anubis in our case remove about 10,000$ equipement.
Having the possibility of using DSP on each speaker output paid for the unit itself.
We add a HDMI to AES67 converter and we could switch flawlessely between a DAW and a Gaming console.
Just the volume control replace a SPL Volume 8.
Which equipment did it replace? I would appreciate details of your setup.

Michel Forbes

Which equipment did it replace? I would appreciate details of your setup.
Anubis PRO SP + HAPI DAC 8ch for feeding the 7.1 Genelec Monitor
For 7.1.4 we used the 4 Anubis Analog Output for the ATMOS speaker

5.1 and 7.1.4 Mixing studio equipped with Genelec Monitor

RME Fireface ULX
SPL Volume 8
Metric Halo 2882 (for bass management+EQ+Delay)
Marantz AV7705
Sanus Rack
Mogami DB-25 to XLR

Last edited:

PureLIN

For the EQ in MT48/Anubis, the Q value is not matched with REW, that pretty annoying.
If they can't provide a formula for translate Q value,I will need to find it by my own to using it for room correction.

Michel Forbes

For the EQ in MT48/Anubis, the Q value is not matched with REW, that pretty annoying.
If they can't provide a formula for translate Q value,I will need to find it by my own to using it for room correction.
Do you want to import the REW file in the Anubis ?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Replaced my RME Babyface Pro FS with the MT48 - been using it the last 4 weeks connected to my KH120ii. I love the intuitive onboard display, seamless connection plug-n-play to my Mac Studio M2. My only complaint - it gets hot compared to the Babyface Pro (which remains lukewarm at worst). In a smaller studio (10'x10'x9') like mine, you really need to have some air circulating out or A/C otherwise it warms up the room quicker than you expect. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for Mac users.

Michel Forbes

Replaced my RME Babyface Pro FS with the MT48 - been using it the last 4 weeks connected to my KH120ii. I love the intuitive onboard display, seamless connection plug-n-play to my Mac Studio M2. My only complaint - it gets hot compared to the Babyface Pro (which remains lukewarm at worst). In a smaller studio (10'x10'x9') like mine, you really need to have some air circulating out or A/C otherwise it warms up the room quicker than you expect. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for Mac users.
The Anubis or MT48 uses a FPGA circuit (the Zinq from Xylinx) and the aluminum casing act as a heatsink + the fan.
I used one for the last two years and never had a problem when the fan is at the low position.

PureLIN

Do you want to import the REW file in the Anubis ?
I want use the EQ filters generated by REW in MT48, since soundID is not availbae in it.
After few tires, I found it's pretty simple since the Q in Anubis/MT48 is Q*4 in REW (unlike Antelope I used before, it's Q is rely on Gain), so I can use a Q in [0.5,25] in REW, that good enough for room correction.

So I create a python script, it will split the reuslt with 4 bands, then convert to MT48 snapshot (.NeuMi) format which is JSON, quite easy to generate.

And with a ADAT loop I can have 16 band EQ (12 seperate,4 shared), quite enough.
But I need drop 2 mixer (since EQ is only add to mixer in Music Mission) ,left me only 2 mixer for monitor and headphone mix.

PureLIN

After few tires, I found it's pretty simple since the Q in Anubis/MT48 is Q*4 in REW
I have prove myself wrong, it's not that simple , I even don't know how could I get that formula:facepalm:.
Neumann team also confirmed that and they are already working on this.

james57

Although I understand this device does not apply room correction would it be able to do the following :

1. Input optical signal from a tv
2. Apply mix 1 with LC(100 hz) + 3 EQ to R
3. Apply mix 2 with LC(100 hz) + 3 EQ to L
4. Apply mix 3 mono HC(100 hz) + 3 EQ to sub

I would use my pc and minidsp mic to run REW a few times and adjust the previous settings

Does this make sens for a 2.1 setup and what are the options for remote vol ctrl other than the dial or tablet anything else .. the other contender is the nova when it comes out but would probably be twice the price.

PureLIN

Does this make sens for a 2.1 setup
Currently the Music mission is only for stereo and you can't control 3 mix's volume at same time.
I think you need Monitor Mission in Anubis, and it will coming soon in MT48 (maybe soooooooooon).

Joaquinín

That is very interesting. Hopefully you can clear this doubt I have. If one goes the AES67 route (Kh-120II or Kh-150), do you really need an interface like the MT48? I mean, you can control the speakers from the computer (PC of Mac) just fine, right? (including DSP with Dirac Live BC installed in the PC).

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very interesting. Hopefully you can clear this doubt I have. If one goes the AES67 route (Kh-120II or Kh-150), do you really need an interface like the MT48? I mean, you can control the speakers from the computer (PC of Mac) just fine, right? (including DSP with Dirac Live BC installed in the PC).
Good point and that's exactly how I had my Genelec's set up using the RME HDSPe AIO Pro PCI Express card in my PC connected to the digital input of my speakers. But having transitioned from PC/Windows to the Mac Studio, I'm now using the MT48 connected to the Mac via USB-C and I also record guitar, keyboard, drum effects, vocals, etc. so the MT48 fits the bill perfectly! Mac Studio users will always need an external interface of some sort if you want digital output to your speakers.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My only complaint - it gets hot compared to the Babyface Pro (which remains lukewarm at worst). In a smaller studio (10'x10'x9') like mine, you really need to have some air circulating out o
use a small desktop mic stand (there is mic threading on the back)

will run cooler than on flat desk

as a test just have it up an inch , supported at just the corners

The case will be hot but you should see CPU temp a little lower ?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My only complaint - it gets hot compared to the Babyface Pro (which remains lukewarm at worst). In a smaller studio (10'x10'x9') like mine, you really need to have some air circulating out or A/C otherwise it warms up the room quicker than you expect.
Nothing with a <25 W power draw (that's what the spec says anyway) should qualify as literally "heating up the room". Gaming PCs dishing out hundreds of watts in action do. I guess you're a bit spoiled by your M2 Mac. The largest single heat source in the room may well be - you. (The ballpark figure for a human is roughly 100 watts.)

But yes, by audio interface standards the MT48 is definitely a hottie. It's stuffed with high-performance converters and delivers a ton of dynamic range on both the inputs and outputs. 136 dB(A) for the mic inputs and 138.5 dB(A) on the line outputs is pretty nuts. (That basically is one ES9038/39PRO per channel on the output side, and the ADC may be a composite job as there is no ADC chip available past 130 dB(A) even with all 8 channels combined.) If there is anything that you can count on, it's that large analog dynamic range requires lots of power. It could all be a lot worse - you still have performance that less than a decade ago nobody (save perhaps the military) would have had access to, all wrapped up in a compact box, and <25 W still isn't that much.

I would be tempted to shove a laptop stand with a quiet fan under it. Maybe there is something you can can shove a slimline 92 mm Noctua fan into (with low noise adapter) or something. Or you could buy the new Actic Cooling desk fan and direct some of its airflow at the interface.

The Babyface is a much different animal, of course, being explicitly conceived as a bus-powered mobile interface with the kind of constraints that go along with that. Its typical power draw is only 3.7 W, which even with finite power supply efficiency is a lot less. It literally delivers 16-21 dB less dynamic range as well. (Which is still more than enough, mind you.)

PureLIN

If one goes the AES67 route (Kh-120II or Kh-150), do you really need an interface like the MT48?
The AES67 support in KH speaker is limited to 96kHz, I think you can use it with Merging Audio Device if you don't need 176.4kHz and 192kHz.

And they may lack mixer , if so then can't be used between multiple hosts, whereas MT48 can connect to multiple PC and play audio at same time(That's the one reason I buy it).

Top Bottom