• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

EdW

Given the feature set, I'd be fine with "good enough", on the DAC side.

I'm actually more concerned about the phono stage being botched or half-ass.
Yes half-ass engineering seems to be an all too common feature of the audio industry. Possibly because the industry, in decline for a decade or two, doesn’t attract it fair share of solid, capable engineers. But to be fair NAD does get things right more often than many of its competitors

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Inside the M33. Kind of blurry picture
NAM33_04.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Dual mono what?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Dual mono what?

Are you a dual mono purist? Right down to the paired AC power cords?

Me, dual amplification mono is two, preferably mirror imaged, separated with no common parts other than the case, the power switch and maybe a single power cord. Even a dual (L/R) tapped main transformer is very much borderline disqualification.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are you a dual mono purist? Right down to the paired AC power cords?

Me, dual amplification mono is two, preferably mirror imaged, separated with no common parts other than the case, the power switch and maybe a single power cord. Even a dual (L/R) tapped main transformer is very much borderline disqualification.

When I think of 'hardcore' dual mono, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Some of the Levinson gear comes to mind, albeit without dual AC cords.

But the M33 is *only* $5000, so compromises have to be expected at that *modest* price point these days....

Tks

Major Contributor
Yes half-ass engineering seems to be an all too common feature of the audio industry. Possibly because the industry, in decline for a decade or two, doesn’t attract it fair share of solid, capable engineers. But to be fair NAD does get things right more often than many of its competitors

How would we know though in all honesty?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How would we know though in all honesty?

Unbiased observers with industry knowledge. There's plenty here on ASR. I'd put it a three decades of decline, only halted and in turnaround in the last decade.

Most of the legendary engineers who drove the big players through the 70s, 80s and 90s are long since retired or departed (R.I.P.).

The 2 channel part of the industry was in free-fall from the early-mid 1990s with the big players, due to massive cost cutting and the emergence of HT which essentially was the nail in the coffin of high fidelity. The first to go were the costly, older, senior people nearing retirement.

Thank goodness for the partial turnaround due to the desire for easy connectivity, clean design lines without unnecessary bells and whistles, operational simplicity and a return to the purity of minimally processed acoustic recordings.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Unbiased observers with industry knowledge. There's plenty here on ASR. I'd put it a three decades of decline, only halted and in turnaround in the last decade.

Most of the legendary engineers who drove the big players through the 70s, 80s and 90s are long since retired or departed (R.I.P.).

The 2 channel part of the industry was in free-fall from the early-mid 1990s with the big players, due to massive cost cutting and the emergence of HT which essentially was the nail in the coffin of high fidelity. The first to go were the costly, older, senior people nearing retirement.

Thank goodness for the partial turnaround due to the desire for easy connectivity, clean design lines without unnecessary bells and whistles, operational simplicity and a return to the purity of minimally processed acoustic recordings.

The M33 is as much a computer as it is a 'audio' device.

And Bruno and friends are no slouches in amp design.

Are we really missing much*?

*okay, the M33 phono stage might suck, depending on if they implemented it in DSP or analog

Top Bottom