• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebslo

Forum Donor
I'm starting to think those pictures of Amirim in a French maids outfit doing household chores do exist and Bob Stewart has a copy ..
Sure, but are Amirim and Bob Stewart related to this discussion in some way?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you haven't read this thread, the one before it and the same one on every other forum!

Speaking of reading, the present progressive tense in that and the following sentence should indicate to you that I'm focusing on now, not the past. If it helps to improve clarity, you can insert "now" in each of the sentences.

Those people can't read. I have not advocated MQA in any form or fashion. As I have said 1000 times, I am here to correct misinformation posted about it. If something is wrong, it needs to be corrected. That is what objectivity is about. Caring about truth and reality. You can't turn a blind eye to someone saying wrong things about MQA just because you hate it too.

Proxies are not necessarily fanatic cheerleaders or obvious vocal advocates. You've quite clearly been providing the types of technical answers that MQA would like to have provided.

Heck. You've even said your purpose is to "make sure incorrect technical or business/industry information is not spread." Your the one who proclaimed yourself a watchdog for business/industry who is out to correct bad consumers.

That being said, you've gone well beyond simple analysis and technical corrections of misinformation. Look at the number of ad hominem attacks you've made in this post alone? That's not objectivism.

As to closed formats, you all consume it a million times a day so don't come complaining about that. You use an iPhone? Can you download your favorite apps and pay for it how you want? You can't right? You play netflix? It has DRM and encryption. You watch cable to Satellite TV? Ditto wih their conditional access and closed terminals. So don't tell you care about closed formats. You could care less if you weren't agitated to have this fight over MQA.

I'm not a fan of any closed format, but especially the unnecessary use of one when an open format alternative exists.

I've also been a serious advocate of all forms of openness--open source, open access, open content, open formats--since you were employed in an antithesis culture at Microsoft, during Microsoft's heyday of FUD about open source and engagement in monopolistic behaviors.

But hey. If you really want to engage in whataboutism, how about starting a new discussion about open formats and the audio industry? You might find it enlightening. Even Microsoft has grown in its attitudes towards openness in the last ten years. Have you seen the Edge browser?

I have never seen so many people lose sight of what is relevant and what is not. Two major content distributors have announced high-res audio without MQA and you still worry what marketing this little company has done? You have been manipulated into becoming foot soldiers to fight someone else's battle and you don't even realize it.

Why the double standard? You feel you must point out technical misinterpretation, but other people can't point out the other issues they see with MQA, simply because you say it might fail?

I'm sure MQA agrees with you. Great that Amir is correcting all of those bad consumers regarding technical information, and then shutting down their other criticisms. He's doing a great job at changing the current narrative. What a good proxy!

So I'll repeat my questions, because it sounds like you need to answer them for yourself

Why did you appoint yourself MQA's proxy? Why didn't you decide to stay more neutral?

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm starting to think those pictures of Amirim in a French maids outfit doing household chores do exist and Bob Stewart has a copy ..

Well...

while I remain convinced that MQA is a pointless money grab for the following reasons
- hires is mostly a con (in my experience a few years ago) which is apparently confirmed by Amir's analysis, therefore we don't need a fancy or even clever way to deliver hi-res
- MQA CDs are obviously worse than conventional CDs on non-MQA players
- the wholesale migration of some studios to MQA is worrying for those who just want standard "lossless" stuff.
- MQA marketing and attitude has been nauseating.
- MQA claims of doing "audioscience at" its best are neither backed up by a theoretical open reproducible process nor supported by a ton of empirical evidence.

while I have been surprised and disappointed by the tone and the substance of some of our host responses (although some of it can be attributed to a fit of justified anger after some less than glorious incidents)

I still feel he raised some very valid points on the testing of perceptually lossless CODEC. (we could have jumped to that stage at once if MQA hadn't shot themselves in the foot with their marketing).

Let's not throw the French Maid with the jacuzzi water!

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why am I not surprised?
Well, technically I am only banned from the MQA thread.

But I can't remain at a forum where libel is allowed/encouraged.

And, yes, I was surprised. I didn't expect Tony to allow this on his business.

MQA threads bring out the worst in people...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It would be great to get back to audio research and objectivity that serves audiophiles needs of getting better sound , not getting ripped off while putting pressure on the industry to up standards . Have a laugh and not take online life to serious and maybe help each other learn and progress though shared understanding and principles..,

You know , like we used to do ..
What happens in Moscow stays in Moscow.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why am I not surprised?
I find that surprising myself since this is your 2nd post here, 1st one was making some menial point to Amir on behalf of Goldenone 4.5 weeks ago... unless you're ringing in from PFM?

JSmith

ebslo

Forum Donor
(emphasis added)
No worries, I can do better, since I have been banned from PFM!

I attempted to argue there against mansr's scruroulous accusations that this forum's owner is paid by MQA. He accused me of the same, of course.

With my departure, PFM is totally anti-MQA safe space!
These sound like serious accusations. Could you please clarify your characterization of them?

Edit: I am not referring to the obvious spelling error.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I think Tidal's own longevity is questionable now the big players have entered the hi res game. Tidal pulling plug on mqa might be moot point.
Tidal is owned by Square,Square has plenty of cash on hand,Spotify should be the one that's worried that they won't be bought out by Square or the other two.

Gregss

(emphasis added)

These sound like serious accusations. Could you please clarify your characterization of them?

Well, those who are preaching how great MQA is seem to have no trouble ignoring technical info and facts that their fantastic product has any downside. But those who point out problems have to give evidence over and over again???

Hitchen’s Razor: That which can be claimed without evidence may also be dismissed without evidence.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I find that surprising myself since this is your 2nd post here, 1st one was making some menial point to Amir on behalf of Goldenone 4.5 weeks ago... unless you're ringing in from PFM?

JSmith
You're just as new as him or her

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Why am I not surprised?

My bet - another 24, max 48 hrs here...

(Though, would not it be splendid for an MIT grad and his company's Fellow, to finally start living up to those great credentials of his!? Requires some learning, thinking, and reflecting...)

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My bet - another 24, max 48 hrs here...

(Though, would not it be splendid for an MIT grad and his company's Fellow, to finally start living up to those great credentials of his!? Requires some learning, thinking, and reflecting...)
I think you should consider PFM. Your voice will totally blend in.

ebslo

Forum Donor
You can go and read for yourself. Likely not actionable, just highly unethical.
Your wording in the section I quoted (ignoring the spelling error) expresses support for the veracity of those accusations, but I suspect that is not what you meant. Hence the request for clarification.

MDT

Just an amusing observation: I added a participant in this thread to my ignore list. I no longer see their posts or quotes of their posts. So now it just looks like all of you have lost your minds and are talking to yourselves. Quite amusing, if not a little bit sad :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom