• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving - Build on Genelec or Start from Scratch for a Music/HT setup

woodyohill

Forum Donor
I currently own a pair of Genelec 8341 with a 7360A Subwoofer running GLM. Source is a Matrix Element X2 using ROON.
As I will be moving to a new house, I have the opportunity to have a dedicated room. I love 2 channels (or 2.1) and listen to mostly classical music. But at the same time, I love watching a movie and sound is always important. Plan is to use a UST Laser TV projector with one of those motorized roll up screens.
What I hope to seek advice for is whether I should continue to build on top of Genelec or separate the HT and Music systems.
One of the systems I am thinking of is:
- Get another 8341 for Center Channel
- I want my surrounds to be in wall and in ceilings (passive)
So I will need to get an AVR and connect the surrounds to the AVR speaker outputs. But the LCR, I will get the signal from the AVR Pre Out.
Will that work? How can I connect such that I can continue to use my Matrix as my music source (bypassing the AVR), but switch to AVR for movies?
Do I still connect the 8341 to the 7360A? Can the Genelec switch between inputs automatically or do I have to do it via GLM?

Alternatively, I will just go get all passive in-wall for HT and then the Genelec 8341 for music.
Sorry lots of questions but clearly quite lost! Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would say you're better off keeping your Genelec monitors for a dedicated 2.1 Music room. For your Home Theater, invest in an AVR/AVP and a quality set of passive HT speakers (i.e. dedicated LCR, maybe towers, surrounds, and in-ceiling).

OP
woodyohill

woodyohill

Forum Donor
I would say you're better off keeping your Genelec monitors for a dedicated 2.1 Music room. For your Home Theater, invest in an AVR/AVP and a quality set of passive HT speakers (i.e. dedicated LCR, maybe towers, surrounds, and in-ceiling).
Thanks. The reason for your suggestion is because you don't think the Genelec will blend well in the setup?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would say it adds a lot of unnecessary complication to throw a pair (or three) powered speakers into a full Home Theater setup.

1. You have to figure out how to route/hide the power cables. Much easier to do with passives as you can easily run the speaker wire in-wall.
2. Depending upon how you have them set up, you're likely to end up doing an extra Digital -> Analog conversion from AVR (Digital) -> Preout (Analog) -> Genelec (Digital -> Analog). The biggest concern here is that it will add latency, which can cause audio/video sync problems. This is uncorrectable for interactive media such as video games.
3. Those monitors are generally for near-field listening. I've considered buying a set for my office. They may not provide enough SPL depending upon the size of your room and seating position in a HT environment.

TL;DR:

It sounds like you're building a pretty high-end Home Theater -- don't hobble it by building on-top of pre-existing hardware that's not ideal for what you're trying to achieve.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- I want my surrounds to be in wall and in ceilings (passive)
If you're going to use Genelecs in a HT then all bed channels at least should be Genelecs IMO. If you want to use passives and you like coaxials I'd suggest looking at Kef as they have a full lineup including in-ceiling and in-wall options that use similar designs.

OP
woodyohill

woodyohill

Forum Donor
Thanks! Good advices and comments! I think I will go with an all passive approach and use the Genelec separately or elsewhere.
Any good in-walls to recommend?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Since you like concentrics, KEF has quite good in-walls. Some members of the forum use them with good results. My other go to would be Perlisten, but those can get seriosly expensive (not that KEF is super cheap either...).

Last edited:

onion

How large is your cinema room? What is the distance to the MLP? This would determine whether or not the 8341as would work as LCR speakers.

I have 8341s set up in a music room with W371a. My cinema room has M&K speakers. If I had the money and the inclination to redo all the walls, I'd redo the cinema room with 8361 as LCR with a mixture of 8351/ 8341/ 8331 for the sides, rear and ceiling speakers; most of them behind baffle walls. I don't think the 8341s would work as LCR - the MLP is around 3m from the front wall and the room length is circa 5.5m. The room is too large for 8341s to work as LCR

OP
woodyohill

woodyohill

Forum Donor
Thanks. Not big. Basically converted from a single garage.

Top Bottom