• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone running Genelec set up with 7360 subs via AVR or Pre-processor

Sprint

Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,

I am currently running a 5.2 set up with Genelec 8340 as LCR, 8330 as Surrounds. I am using Yamaha CX-A5200 as processor. I just purchased a pair of 7360's to replace my SVS SB-12nsd pair. Source is Apple TV for apple music, youtube music videos, netflix, disney, prime. Sometimes, use a Panasonic bluray.

I reran the GLM and I am fully doing the bass management in GLM 5.0. The GLM integration between monitors and 7360 was a breeze. Some comparisons with my SVS and initial listening sessions came out very well with Genelec 7360 producing bass with precision, timing, phased matched with monitors. Shifting between digital and analog source without having to make volume adjustments on my SVS each time, is a bug relied.

I would need your help to compare with your set up, if it is similar and I want to learn if I can make any improvements.

The current set up with the following settings has been the best sounding:
  • GLM Sound Profiler
    • Low Shelf at 100HZ +3.0 db
    • High Shelf at 100 HZ -10.0 db => Anything more, the female voices seems very shouty . Now it is tolerable. With Yamaha bass management, probably because of less capability, the volume
  • GLM LFE level -3.0 db
  • AVR Yamaha CX-A5200
    • Speaker Set to Large – Fully Range
    • Dialog level Level 3 – If I do not switch it on, then the dialogue level for Netflix is too low. If I increase the volume, then the bass volume is too high shaking the floor at even mild to moderate volumes. However this has no influence on female voice shoutiness from the above point.
    • Extra Bass (LFE + Main in Marantz) set to “On” only for 2.0 ch Music – If I do not switch it on, I do not get any bass in subwoofer when listening to Apple Music or you tube music. For Multi Channel music in Apple Music and Movies, I switch the Extra Bass to “Off”. When on, the dialogues and voices sound bit muffled probably due to double dose of low frequencies ??
My main dissatisfaction is 2.0 Ch music. Is there any thing that I can do get more bass in 2.0 Ch music without switching the extra bass “On” in AVR? Somehow the AVR is not passing the LFE channel via sub out as I have set the speaker to Large. Only with Extra Bass “On”, it is passing the LFE channel. For movies, it is no issue. The LFE channel has all the material. If I play the same music via IPAD and digital stream to Topping D10, I get the full bass as expected. Somehow the LFE channel via digital is working very well as expected.

Appreciate your help! Would be great if you can share your set up.

Attachments

• Subwoofer 7360A LFE -3.0 db.jpg
    Subwoofer 7360A LFE -3.0 db.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Sound Profiler Less Shouty MP.jpg
    Sound Profiler Less Shouty MP.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 49

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Set speakers to small! Using subwoofers in small home sized rooms is about getting the best bass. If one sub is playing the bass you get a certain bass response. If that sub gets moved the bass response changes. The same is true with two subs. You need to find the best placement of the subs. Once you have that let the subs do the work! Because now with speakers full range you will get a different bass response depending which speakers are playing bass. That's why a crossover is used and bass is sent to the sub(s). Integrating the subs with speakers is a different matter and once that is done everything will be seemless. We set the crossover based on room acoustics. Most are in the 80-100hz range and RARELY lower than 80hz. It is not about speaker capability that the speaker can go so low, but about acoustics in the room. The only time a crossover should be set based on speaker capability is in situations where the speakers is not capable, typically a very small speaker that needs a higher crossover to integrate it.

Once that is set then you can solve other bass problems. Like if you prefer more bass. Which is typically preferred for more moderate listening levels. That is easier to solve. Nice system by the way!

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I had a great call with a Genelec Rep. It seems that I had made so many changes that I had corrupted the whole measurements. He never knew anyone running with -10db high shelf. So, we started a new measurement.

Here are my new settings.

GLM Sound Profiler
  • Low Shelf at 100HZ +3.0 db
  • High Shelf at 100 HZ -3.0 db
Bass Management for Analog Multi Channel: Global and Full Band i.e. all speakers are full range and subs handle only the LFE. Recommendation is to run full range as 8340 can go low until 38Hz and we can rely on Genelec specs. This will give us more overhead for 7360's. "LFE +10db" box selected. Auto calibration and Auto Phase executed.

Bass Management for Digital Stereo: Cross-over for monitors set at 80 Hz.

Yamaha CX-A5200 Settings: All speakers set to large, All other options like Extra Bass, Dialogue level switched off.

End Result: Very satisfied. Am super surprised that the system sounds fantastic by running 8340 LCR and 8330 surrounds as full range. Finally, what a relief.

Also saw this interesting video today

Would be still interested to see your settings!

FrST

I also use a Yamaha CX-A5200 pre/processor and Genelec smart active speaker in a somewhat unconventional 4.0 setup with currently one 7360 subwoofer. I run the (analog) front channel outputs from the Yamaha pre into the (analog) inputs of a RME ADI 2 Pro SE. From there AES/EBU Connections run to front left right and the subwoofer. Front is set to large in the pre. This setup allows to watch movies in two channel downmix mode with a HD800s headphone (equalized in the RME with slight Crossfeed) and also allows for stereo music in a pure digital chain to the speakers and sub. Additionally, the RME can be used to apply and easily change house curves and additional eq. General room eq and phase matching of the sub is done by GLM.

Case 1:

8331 left and right and 7360 crossed at 85 Hz in GLM. Rear 8330 set to full range in GLM and crossed at 85Hz in the pre.

Case 2:

8361 left and right set to full range in GLM and the 7360 is crossed in at 60Hz in GLM, thus runs in parallel to the front. Rear 8331 set to full range in GLM and crossed at 85Hz in the pre.

I run the GLM first in a multichannel setup with all speakers and sub (crossover 85Hz) and note down SPL and delay for each channel. Then I run GLM for digital inputs for the front and sub and add the previous SPL and delay adjustment. Then I run GLM similarly for the rear set to full range and analog inputs. In the pre I configure 4.0 with large front and small rear with a 80 or 85 Hz crossover. Final SPL "matching" (since front + sub run through the RME) is done with the Yamaha processor by personal preference or a spl meter. All speaker distances are set to one meter. Delay introduced by the RME analog to digital conversion is not accounted for and I don't know if it is relevant or not. Subjectively it is not relevant to me.

This setting provides a perfectly integrated sub (and LFE channel) for Movies and also for music listening through the RME. Usually I don't touch the volume setting in the RME, but would also not be a problem, since the RME allows for saving presets which can include volume. Also separate presets for eq sets are feasible

Two channel downmix works very well in the Yamaha with respect to center and LFE integration for Headphone listening as well as for large front setups without a dedicated LFE subwoofer.

For the 8361, one 7360 is not enough to crossover the monitors to the sub, but running in parallel yields surprisingly very good results in my ears. I would like to add one or even two more 7360 and crossover the 8361 to the 2-3x7360 at around 60-80Hz (maybe some time in the future).

In a smaller space one 7360 with 8331 crossed at 85Hz worked also very well, even the really small 7350 was quite capable. The 7370, let alone the 7380, are really big and very difficult to integrate into a living room.

The genelec subs are not cheap by any means but the very good and easy integration by GLM unfortunately needs to be paid for but is in my opinion unmatched by any other system on the market, despite GLM not being perfect. I also sometimes check the GLM results with a umk1 and REW and apply additional adjustments to the speakers. It is very unfortunate, that GLM can not remeasure the equed system by itself.

So if you ever want to experiment further, I would recommend to check out the large front approach. The CX A5200 seems to handle the +10dB for LFE correct when mixing it in the two front channels (with +4dB?). Thus running the 8340 connected to the 7360 crossed in GLM at 85 Hz). Center and rear set to full range in GLM but crossed over in the Yamaha at 80 to 85Hz. This setup would have the advantage that multichannel content below 30Hz from LCR would not be lost but played by your large front (8340+7360) through the bass management of the Yamaha. Two channel stuff would anyway run then through your perfectly integrated two channel 8340+7360.

Probably only subtitle differences to your current setup which should have plenty of power regardless of configuration with 8340 and 7360 :) especially the two 7360 must be a powerful LFE presentation and would have been also my personal take over one 7370.

Last edited:
Top Bottom