• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starting setup, X1700H vs X2800H (or DRA-800H?)

ysomic

Hey all!

I'm starting my (completely new) audio system and I'm having some decision paralysis. I'll first sum up my expected use cases and then what I've researched so far.

Use case: A mix of movies/series on the couch and music listening throughout the room. This music listening would usually happen when we're not on the couch and thus not on the 'prime listening spot' and from streams. This would be the reason why I'm more focused on the 'home theater experience' with enough thought in off-axis listening. No gaming on the TV. (side note: our TV has ARC (not eARC) and we use an external chromecast device to stream movies/series)

Speakers: I would buy the Linton 85th anniversary speakers with stand to put left and right of the TV (a bit away from the wall). My other option would be the Elac DBR62.

AVR: Here is where I'm facing a lot of questions. I will not upgrade to a full surround sound system in the near future (Exception would be a center channel if it would be beneficial).

Denon DRA-800H: 409 EUR. Since I'm not planning to upgrade in the near future to surround sound, I do not need the extra channels.
Denon X1700H: 449 EUR. Not a big price hike. If the sound quality in stereo is better then the DRA-800, this seems like the most optimal decision
Denon X2800H: 649 EUR. A bit a price hike, but I'm considering this one if the X1700H wouldn't suffice.

Subwoofers: Haven't started the research on subwoofers. As I could probably do this after I buy the AVR and speakers

I'm open for any kind of advice, on the whole setup or only on the AVR's.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AVR: Here is where I'm facing a lot of questions. I will not upgrade to a full surround sound system in the near future (Exception would be a center channel if it would be beneficial).

Denon DRA-800H: 409 EUR. Since I'm not planning to upgrade in the near future to surround sound, I do not need the extra channels.
If you can get the Marantz NR1200 for the same price, it is a better choice because it has preamp outputs so you can have the option to use external power amps if it becomes necessary for whatever reasons.
Denon X1700H: 449 EUR. Not a big price hike. If the sound quality in stereo is better then the DRA-800, this seems like the most optimal decision
Denon X2800H: 649 EUR. A bit a price hike, but I'm considering this one if the X1700H wouldn't suffice.

Subwoofers: Haven't started the research on subwoofers. As I could probably do this after I buy the AVR and speakers

Can you still get the discontinued X3700H? The X1700H will not offer better sound quality in Stereo, but if you plan on using a center speaker, then it would be a better choice than a stereo receiver.

OP
Y

ysomic

but if you plan on using a center speaker
I'm not necessarily planning it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it later down the road if it would make for a better home theater experience (and not take away from the background music)

Marantz NR1200 or the same price
I think it's 'only' 30 euros more or so, so it's definitely possible. But I thought the DRA-800H was better suited. I can still look into it!

Can you still get the discontinued X3700H
I can, but it's quite expensive. It goes for around 999 euros. I saw a 'deal' for the X3800H for the same price (999 EUR).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can, but it's quite expensive. It goes for around 999 euros. I saw a 'deal' for the X3800H for the same price (999 EUR).
Wow, I wish we have such deals in North America, the X3800H, or Marantz Cinema50 would be much more future proof than all the ones you mentioned so far. If the X3700H price is the same as the X3800H then it is not an option for you. If you can wait and save up, the 3800 is a much better value than the 2800.

The Denon DRA-800H and Marantz NR1200 are virtually twins, but again the Marantz has the option to use external power amp so it is more future proof and will retain better resale value for sure.

OP
Y

ysomic

Wow, I wish we have such deals in North America, the X3800H, or Marantz Cinema50 would be much more future proof than all the ones you mentioned so far. If the X3700H price is the same as the X3800H then it is not an option for you. If you can wait and save up, the 3800 is a much better value than the 2800.

The Denon DRA-800H and Marantz NR1200 are virtually twins, but again the Marantz has the option to use external power amp so it is more future proof and will retain better resale value for sure.
Not sure how long the deal will last, but I do have the money for it. I just wasn't sure if the money would be 'worth' it in my case. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy that one. Funny how I went from the DRA-800H/NR1200 to basically the X3800H.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how long the deal will last, but I do have the money for it. I just wasn't sure if the money would be 'worth' it in my case. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy that one. Funny how I went from the DRA-800H/NR1200 to basically the X3800H.

In the US, list price is $1,699, in Canada it is $2,499.

When on sale, it may have gone down to US$1,499 (not really sure), but never heard of it going down below $1,000. Euro to US exchange is about 1.09. So for the deal you are getting, it is worth biting the bullet. In 3 months, you will forget the extra money you pay and be happy with all the features especially knowing you could upgrade to Dirac Live (expensive too), Atmos channels, and more power for your speakers. Even just to use Audyssey, the 3800's XT32 SubEq HT version is much better than the 2800's XT version. Sound quality improvements by using Audyssey (if you do it right) is often much greater than that acheived by upgrading the hardware.

phn

I recently upgraded my Denon X2700H to X3800H. The two are on a different level as what comes to their capabilities. If you have the money, go for the latter, imho. You will be future proven on so many aspects, even out of the box.

ianh

I recently upgraded my Denon X2700H to X3800H. The two are on a different level as what comes to their capabilities. If you have the money, go for the latter, imho. You will be future proven on so many aspects, even out of the box.
I have a X3700H which I am happy with but want another AVR for a different (smaller) room. Can you comment on how the X3800H sounds vs the X2700H? Thanks.

phn

I have a X3700H which I am happy with but want another AVR for a different (smaller) room. Can you comment on how the X3800H sounds vs the X2700H? Thanks.set
I thought X2700H was a surprisingly capable set for the price at the time. I was after a X3700H at the time but due to component shortage the wait time was ridiculous, so downgraded a tad. Once the X3800H was introduced I was disappointed at the price, but with the first round of discounts I got a good deal for my 2700H and traded in. Even then I consid've ered long whether to keep it around for another room, but at the end decided not to.

I've got a small listening room with its issues, I've treated it more since 2700H, but if I'd have to wage a guess I'd say they would sound the same. 2700H had enough power for my needs, it was the better Audyssey the 3800H has that made the difference, it is able to tame my room modes better. In Direct mode I doubt I could hear any difference.

How they are priced I'd perhaps even consider 1700H 1800H for a smaller room, it's got the Audyssey XT as well, with little difference in power output..

Last edited:

Miniyouuuu

I started with the 800h and 8 months later I moved to a better amplifier.
800h is perfect for Arc connection, easy for airplay, but sound quality could be better.
Internal DAC is very low tier, other than direct sound mode has audible distorsion, and power output is high in facts, but I got issues on low volume listenings that where impossible to fix without DSP (800h has not Audyssey, no optional Dirac…) . When I move to a better amp, improvement was clear, but I spend a lot more.
If you want 2.1 setup with HDMI-ARC, chose Audiolab 7000a, marantz Stereo 70, yamaha RN-1000. They play on another league.
Lintons are wonderfull, but depending on your room size or speaker position, you could have bass issues, that need bass traps and DSP correction, as I do. After that treatment… you wont change your system anymore.

Miniyouuuu

After installing the Lintons, you can check if subwoofer is required in your place.
Lintons won’t go below 40hz, but I got +13db at 48hz due to room modes, and I had to sell my 10” subwoofer.
And surround sound with the Lintons… what central/back speakers would match with them?
In my case, after Dirac, audio centered a lot, and I don’t require center chanel.

hmt

Hey all!

I'm starting my (completely new) audio system and I'm having some decision paralysis. I'll first sum up my expected use cases and then what I've researched so far.

Use case: A mix of movies/series on the couch and music listening throughout the room. This music listening would usually happen when we're not on the couch and thus not on the 'prime listening spot' and from streams. This would be the reason why I'm more focused on the 'home theater experience' with enough thought in off-axis listening. No gaming on the TV. (side note: our TV has ARC (not eARC) and we use an external chromecast device to stream movies/series)

Speakers: I would buy the Linton 85th anniversary speakers with stand to put left and right of the TV (a bit away from the wall). My other option would be the Elac DBR62.

Try to get the cheapest Denn AVR with Audyssey MQ XT32. Maybe you can find some Denon X3400 or upwards.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a X3700H which I am happy with but want another AVR for a different (smaller) room. Can you comment on how the X3800H sounds vs the X2700H? Thanks.
This forum gets this kind of questions all the time, the answers from members will invariably range from no difference, subtle difference, to night and day difference between different AVRs, not limited to just X3800H vs X2700H. You will have no way of knowing any more than what they may tell you based on the way they compare and their own subjective impressions. It would be difficult to know who to believe, and I suspect lots of people would end up believing those who's subjective view lined up with their own preconceived ideas that are likely formed by reading internet hearsay, manufacturers marketing hype etc.

You can save a lot of efforts by just choosing based on specs and features, aesthetics, and price, and remember, based on know science, there are no evidence to suggest that those two you are considering should "sounds" different in a blind listening comparison test, unless DSP functions are used, and/or power output is an issue for you. In that sense, the X3800H has the edge because of the more powerful DAP IC, and the Room EQ/Correction system.

ianh

This forum gets this kind of questions all the time, the answers from members will invariably range from no difference, subtle difference, to night and day difference between different AVRs, not limited to just X3800H vs X2700H. You will have no way of knowing any more than what they may tell you based on the way they compare and their own subjective impressions. It would be difficult to know who to believe, and I suspect lots of people would end up believing those who's subjective view lined up with their own preconceived ideas that are likely formed by reading internet hearsay, manufacturers marketing hype etc.

You can save a lot of efforts by just choosing based on specs and features, aesthetics, and price, and remember, based on know science, there are no evidence to suggest that those two you are considering should "sounds" different in a blind listening comparison test, unless DSP functions are used, and/or power output is an issue for you. In that sense, the X3800H has the edge because of the more powerful DAP IC, and the Room EQ/Correction system.
Good points, I have also started to look at a devices internal view to help the decision making process.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
x1xxx and x2xxx only has XT, 3xxx and up have XT32
Agreed, for people who need room correction, XT32 vs XT for the 1000 and 2000 series should be a main factor.

phn

Agreed, for people who need room correction, XT32 vs XT for the 1000 and 2000 series should be a main factor.
Indeed, I'd almost choose between 1000 or 3000 series. As they currently are priced, 2000 series does not make much sense does it.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, I'd almost choose between 1000 or 3000 series. As they currently are priced, 2000 series does not make much sense does it.
100%, Denon should at least include pre outs on the 2000 series like they used to. When tbey first cut those after the 23xx, the actually kept it for the non US/Can versions, eventually did away with it altogether.

Top Bottom