• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll give it a shot. Will the slot name be changed? I think I tried that and the name didn't change, but that was when I knew a bit less than I know now...If the name doesn't change I can't tell if it took or not.
If I recall, when you quit and restart Dirac, it will update. From the web interface sometimes the web browser is trying to be smart and it caches the names incorrectly and you have to clear cache or refresh a few times.

AustinJerry

Is there a guide on how to get the output higher on this? Should 2.7v be set like in the review?

Here is a guide that shows how to set maximum headroom on the HTP-1 that you may find useful. Following the procedure will allow you to set output voltage to achieve the highest output without risk of clipping.

Max headroom procedure

If you continue to think that the HTP-1 output levels are too low, examine the Dirac trim settings. If you have one or more speakers with exceptionally low sensitivity, Dirac will lower the trims on the other speakers to match levels across all speakers. This can result in undesirably low levels, and the only way to permanently fix this issue is to consider replacing the low-sensitivity speakers. Consider raising the master volume setting as a work-around.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a guide that shows how to set maximum headroom on the HTP-1 that you may find useful. Following the procedure will allow you to set output voltage to achieve the highest output without risk of clipping.

Max headroom procedure

If you continue to think that the HTP-1 output levels are too low, examine the Dirac trim settings. If you have one or more speakers with exceptionally low sensitivity, Dirac will lower the trims on the other speakers to match levels across all speakers. This can result in undesirably low levels, and the only way to permanently fix this issue is to consider replacing the low-sensitivity speakers. Consider raising the master volume setting as a work-around.
That’s a great guide. The other thing to add, if you have a LG TV or an Xbox with Atmos capability (One, X, S) the Dolby Nature’s Fury is even louder than Amaze.

AustinJerry

That’s a great guide. The other thing to add, if you have a LG TV or an Xbox with Atmos capability (One, X, S) the Dolby Nature’s Fury is even louder than Amaze.
I suspect that regardless of the track used to test the clipping limits, another track will come along that will stress the limits even further. The Dolby Amaze trailer was selected because it is readily accessible for everyone to download, and will likely be appropriate for 95% of clipping tests. But thanks for pointing out the Nature's Fury track--I'll give it a listen.

AustinJerry

I downloaded a copy of the Dolby Nature's Fury track. Playing back the file (MP4 format) using my Oppo 203 and measuring the output using the Volume Setup on the HTP-1, the maximum level measured on my sub channel is -17dB, significantly lower than the -1dB level measured when playing the Amaze Trailer. I wonder why my finding is different from what you are seeing?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I downloaded a copy of the Dolby Nature's Fury track. Playing back the file (MP4 format) using my Oppo 203 and measuring the output using the Volume Setup on the HTP-1, the maximum level measured on my sub channel is -17dB, significantly lower than the -1dB level measured when playing the Amaze Trailer. I wonder why my finding is different from what you are seeing?

Very interesting. I used the Xbox One app as the source for both and with the VU meters, I never had clipping with Amaze but I did with Nature’s Fury.

Could there be some sort of difference post Dirac where there is a difference between analog and digital gain on individual setups?

On mine, I think it was one of the main channels that clipped first not the sub.

Magnus

The MP4 version is much lower in volume level than the one found on Dolby Blu-Rays. I have both here.

AustinJerry

Very interesting. I used the Xbox One app as the source for both and with the VU meters, I never had clipping with Amaze but I did with Nature’s Fury.

Could there be some sort of difference post Dirac where there is a difference between analog and digital gain on individual setups?

On mine, I think it was one of the main channels that clipped first not the sub.

Have you followed the procedure and, if yes, what is your current Max Digital Headroom setting? And what is your output voltage setting? It is peculiar that you see clipping on a main channel and not the sub. When I run the clip, the main speaker levels are quite a ways away from clipping. And when I listen to the Nature's Fury clip, I can't identify a specific point in the playback that outputs sound directly to the sub channel like I can hear on the Amaze trailer when it shows "Powerful bass!".

So I guess the question is, what track should be used to set digital headroom? I suspect that regardless of which track is used, there will never be a guarantee that some movie might come along with more powerful bass that could clip the sub output.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you followed the procedure and, if yes, what is your current Max Digital Headroom setting? And what is your output voltage setting? It is peculiar that you see clipping on a main channel and not the sub.

Sorry for the confusion. It was both eventually . I don’t recall which part since I honestly was always focused on the web browser and VU rather than the content but it was toward the end of the clip, for sure.

I do run Bose 901’s in my home theater which requires a lot of digital EQ. At the time I was just running +0 dB nominal and PEQ. Someone running Magnepans or other inefficient speakers might run into the same problem. I also added a second sub so I no longer clip.

So I guess the question is, what track should be used to set digital headroom? I suspect that regardless of which track is used, there will never be a guarantee that some movie might come along with more powerful bass that could clip the sub output.

At this point, if the MP4 of Nature’s Fury is not the same as the Xbox version, you might as well go with Amaze. Although maybe not clipping and being -1 or -2 dBFS isn’t enough.

Likewise, I bet countless enthusiasts are clipping with other AVRs and don’t know it. It’s only the power of the HTP-1 that lets you fine tune things.

AustinJerry

Sorry for the confusion. It was both eventually . I don’t recall which part since I honestly was always focused on the web browser and VU rather than the content but it was toward the end of the clip, for sure.

I do run Bose 901’s in my home theater which requires a lot of digital EQ. At the time I was just running +0 dB nominal and PEQ. Someone running Magnepans or other inefficient speakers might run into the same problem. I also added a second sub so I no longer clip.

At this point, if the MP4 of Nature’s Fury is not the same as the Xbox version, you might as well go with Amaze. Although maybe not clipping and being -1 or -2 dBFS isn’t enough.

Likewise, I bet countless enthusiasts are clipping with other AVRs and don’t know it. It’s only the power of the HTP-1 that lets you fine tune things.

I don't understand what speakers would have to do with setting the digital headroom on the HTP-1. The VU meters in the processor don't know what brand speakers are connected down the signal path.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand what speakers would have to do with setting the digital headroom on the HTP-1. The VU meters in the processor don't know what brand speakers are connected down the signal path.
I am applying a hefty PEQ to correct FR which burns up headroom

AustinJerry

I am applying a hefty PEQ to correct FR which burns up headroom

Interestingly, I used to own Bose 901's back in the late 1980's. This was long before I had any skills in applying PEQ to tame FR and, of course, long before automated room correction. I loved those speakers!

True, if your PEQ is applied using the HTP-1's PEQ capabilities, it will affect headroom. Just curious, are you running Dirac Live calibration after applying PEQ, and how do the 901's sound with Dirac?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, I used to own Bose 901's back in the late 1980's. This was long before I had any skills in applying PEQ to tame FR and, of course, long before automated room correction. I loved those speakers!

True, if your PEQ is applied using the HTP-1's PEQ capabilities, it will affect headroom. Just curious, are you running Dirac Live calibration after applying PEQ, and how do the 901's sound with Dirac?

I tried both, running PEQ before Dirac (to allow me to run Dirac off) and after and running pure Dirac. When I manually PEQ and do not run Dirac, the center image is tighter. So, if I really want to listen to music solo on that system, it’s Dirac off, turn on PEQ.

Running pure Dirac works better for headroom, and it corrects pretty well except for the region above 14 kHz. With the Storm Audio room target, it’s fine. With a Harman target, Dirac is too cautious about correcting the treble.

My home theater is unique in that the focus is great sound everywhere, reference sound nowhere. That’s not how most hobbyists like their setup. (I have my office setup for the clean reference sound where I will use the Meyer Amie and previously had the JBL 708P.)

Home theater room is disproportionally wide and the rear speakers are immediately behind a large sectional sofa. It fits 8 adults comfortably in a single row about 13 feet from the display. I have Bose 901’s as L, R, and rear L, R. I then have a pair of JBL S/2600 flanking the screen as dual centers. These have asymmetrical horns so you maintain a center image even entirely off axis and keep the voice at screen height rather than below screen height. It’s weird, and it shouldn’t work due to comb filtering and the woofers not being angled — but it works great in practice. The center is basically dual 12” woofers and 92 dB/2.83V so dynamics are there. Front height direct and rear upfiring have the added HRTF curve which does enhance the perceived height to my ears in my room.

NOT my photo, but it gives you a sense of size of those JBLs.

1697598616510.jpeg

I am looking forward to Dirac ART because it should really take advantage of the dual 12” woofers in my center channel and the “equivalent” 13-4” woofers of each Bose 901 distributed evenly across the room.

My subs are JL Audio F110 and Velodyne DD10.

JStewart

Forum Donor
This just doesn’t seem right at all

IMG_0803.jpeg

I found a familiar muting problem I have seen below -90 dB in other processors:
IMG_0801.png

I ran this by Anthem but they could not replicate it. They shared measurements with me that was normal. I have supplied my test project file for them to investigate. Will update the review when I hear more.

IMG_0799.jpeg

What is that? You don't know why it get the decapitated panther with this type of performance? Well, this is why:

IMG_0800.png

It‘s not just the inconsistency that seems unfair. It’s that the problem isn’t problem in use and the EDIT at very end of the review in no way offsets the decapitated panther greeting. After seeing that, many, if not most, wouldn’t read to the end.

The HTP-1 is still a current product. People will still be looking for a review.

TimoJ

It‘s not just the inconsistency that seems unfair. It’s that the problem isn’t problem in use and the EDIT at very end of the review in no way offsets the decapitated panther greeting. After seeing that, many, if not most, wouldn’t read to the end.
There was also some other reason/excuse (jitter?) why the review panther score was not changed.
But the HTP-1 review was done back in time when Amir was still comparing AVPs/AVRs to stereo DACs. This new "softer" Amir seems to give much worse AVRs/AVPs passing grades.

Magnus

Amir will be Amir.

IMO, you don't review by ear alone, but neither do you libel a company on petty inaudible nonsense either. These sorts of things can have real consequences to the company in question and this is one of the few halfway affordable 15.1 channel systems out there (half the price of the new D&M products) and with DIRAC and available DLBC no less!

I don't think I'm remotely off base here. I've got two electronic engineering degrees of my own. Audio is more than just your favorite measurement graphs.

Inaudible is meaningless to anyone who uses the system for its intended purpose and features including room correction and channel count are what actually matter in home theater.

The HTP-1 will soon officially support DIRAC ART and its actual truly annoying bugs have been largely corrected (thanks in large part to dedicated fans). It's a bargain product that far outperforms its price range.

It's a minor travesty the review on here doesn't reflect the reality of now, but perhaps the real problem is people should be taking the measurements for what they are and ignore any audio based conclusions given Amir doesn't listen to most of the products he reviews.

A measurement can only tell you so much and if you're not an expert, you're likely to draw the entirely wrong or inappropriate conclusions in regards to a great sounding and usable system. I see far too many comments that sound like, that's too bad it's such a poor performer. I'd have considered it otherwise.

IMO, the only thing poor here is the conclusion it deserved a headless panther in the first place.

JStewart

Forum Donor
There was also some other reason/excuse (jitter?) why the review panther score was not changed.
But the HTP-1 review was done back in time when Amir was still comparing AVPs/AVRs to stereo DACs. This new "softer" Amir seems to give much worse AVRs/AVPs passing grades.
Hey @TimoJ . Thanks for all your help and support for HTP-1 owners and Dirac.

Amir said this about jitter on HTP-1
”Wish I could test HDMI but can not. Above spikes are correlated with the 250 Hz square wave that is embedded in J-test signal. This means what bits to feed the DAC changes its analog input! So bits are not bits unfortunately. Fortunately levels are low so likely not audible but in a high-end processor, we better not see artifacts like this.”

So not a headless panther, but certainly not as good as at should be. Too bad no HDMI test as that is how the unit is primarily used.

Amir does explicitly state in the review headless panther was for the linearity test.

ASR also promoted @GXAlan review of the HTP-1 and in it he states there was no issue with muting on the linearity test he did with the unit set properly. (And I also agree with Amir that the use of the settings could be made more obvious by Monoprice somehow.)
Thread 'Monolith HTP-1 AV Processor Measurements (June 2023 Firmware + User Testing)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ements-june-2023-firmware-user-testing.47365/

Anyway, the facts are the facts and probably not disputed by anyone. My point is there is a wide inconsistency with the same set of facts and that should be corrected and I don’t think updating the AVM 90 with a headless panther is the answer.

Top Bottom