• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To (also) piggy back onto nuport's question above on Nov 29th and the following responses: Ok

Re - Noted in context to nuport's question about would you have an audible improvement if you had a dedicated 2 channel DAC. Based on these handful of responses the consensus is adding even a very good DAC would not an audible improvement.

Next and a factor on HTP1 vs others is ease of use and glitches - Im also looking for an AVP that you turn on and it works. While I am (was) ok with 5 remotes (or more) on the table - it alienated my wife from the TV room and system. Now we are rebuilding (retaining amps and speakers). I want very good audio (2 channel. She wants sit down grab remote and turn on - all done except select program. Im not certain anything works this seamlessly? My Anthem D2V did not......

Any feedback - as always appreciated - including on nuports questions......

I have a Harmony remote. My A/V system is rather complicated, with tri-amped front left and right front speakers using a DEQX that I can use just for 2 channel audio but which also forms the Front Right and Front Left for TV using my Emotiva pre/pro. So turning everything on and configured to "JUST WATCH TV" is a fairly involved process of turning on amps and processors and the TV and sources and setting signal paths...

Using my Harmony remote I easily configured a button on it's little touchscreen that says WATCH TV. Hit that button and everything fires up and is set to let you watch TV off the cable box. VOLUME and CHANNEL as well as GUIDE are physical buttons on the Harmony remote that easily control these functions for watching cable. WATCH TV also fires up center and rear channel equipment which is not needed for stereo music listening. (LISTEN TO STEREO is another button I have set on the remote...)

You can also turn it all off by just pressing the OFF button on the remote.

To watch a 4k Blu Ray, I have set up a button for that too, but you have to start from OFF if you want that "ONE BUTTON SIMPLICITY"

I have all the controls for all my AV gear in the Harmony so you can go through menus and choices and do whatever you want like watch Netflix or Prime etc, but I do not have "ONE BUTTON NETFLIX" etc set up, although I could program that easily enough.

Noah Katz

To watch a 4k Blu Ray, I have set up a button for that too, but you have to start from OFF if you want that "ONE BUTTON SIMPLICITY"

I'm not exactly fluent in Harmony, but I thought that when you switch Activities, any components not used in the new one will be powered off.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not exactly fluent in Harmony, but I thought that when you switch Activities, any components not used in the new one will be powered off.

Mine doesn't work that way. To go from one activity to another I go first to OFF.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Harmony remote. My A/V system is rather complicated, with tri-amped front left and right front speakers using a DEQX that I can use just for 2 channel audio but which also forms the Front Right and Front Left for TV using my Emotiva pre/pro. So turning everything on and configured to "JUST WATCH TV" is a fairly involved process of turning on amps and processors and the TV and sources and setting signal paths...

Using my Harmony remote I easily configured a button on it's little touchscreen that says WATCH TV. Hit that button and everything fires up and is set to let you watch TV off the cable box. VOLUME and CHANNEL as well as GUIDE are physical buttons on the Harmony remote that easily control these functions for watching cable. WATCH TV also fires up center and rear channel equipment which is not needed for stereo music listening. (LISTEN TO STEREO is another button I have set on the remote...)

You can also turn it all off by just pressing the OFF button on the remote.

I have all the controls for all my AV gear in the Harmony so you can go through menus and choices and do whatever you want like watch Netflix or Prime etc, but I do not have "ONE BUTTON NETFLIX" etc set up, although I could program that easily enough.
I was happily proceeding like that until the Harmony system asked If I wanted to update the software (or firmware). It never finished, and now I own an expensive re-chargeable brick.
I tried a reset but that didn't seem to work.
I am back on the simpler to keep working 4 remote system now :)
I always had to use a different remote to lower the screen anyway because it was a different type, RF I think, but now I just use manual buttons since I don't leave things in stand-by any more so have to go to the plug to switch the power on anyway.

digicidal

Major Contributor
To (also) piggy back onto nuport's question above on Nov 29th and the following responses: Ok

Re - Noted in context to nuport's question about would you have an audible improvement if you had a dedicated 2 channel DAC. Based on these handful of responses the consensus is adding even a very good DAC would not an audible improvement.

Next and a factor on HTP1 vs others is ease of use and glitches - Im also looking for an AVP that you turn on and it works. While I am (was) ok with 5 remotes (or more) on the table - it alienated my wife from the TV room and system. Now we are rebuilding (retaining amps and speakers). I want very good audio (2 channel. She wants sit down grab remote and turn on - all done except select program. Im not certain anything works this seamlessly? My Anthem D2V did not......

Any feedback - as always appreciated - including on nuports questions......

Not sure on others, but that should be a simple task with almost every modern AVP. That's even without dealing with programmable remotes which they usually have included. I have similar issues in my home (re: wife) but my Marantz 8801 with it's "horrible" SINAD sounds great, and she has no problems. Unless you have a TV without ARC, you should be able to specify last used source and ARC port and be 90% there already.

Use the TV/Smart TV features (Netflix,etc.) as normal with TV audio, or turn on AVP and select "TV". Watch Bluray or rips off NAS via network enabled BDP (I have an Oppo-203) and select "Bluray"... for Cable/Sat (if you don't go through TV via ARC) select "Cable/Sat". The Marantz has option for either last selected or a default (in my case that's the Cable selection, since it's used the most) which will pass through to the TV for audio if the AVP is off/standby.

True it's not a one remote solution, but nearly so once you go through the trouble to level match your inputs... it's rare to change the volume constantly so it's either cable remote for tv channels, TV remote for Netflix, BR remote for local movies/music.

Although I haven't purchased an HTP-1 yet (plan to in the near future however), I would hope it is at least as feature rich as a 7 year old AVP with less of almost everything else. YMMV but other than a couple of "refresher" calls the first day I set everything up - my better half is pleased and uses it daily. The projector and unswitched amps in the media room is another matter entirely, but I admit I made that intentionally obtuse to some extent. :cool: My playroom, my rules.

Vasr

Major Contributor
"What do you mean it is complicated? All you have to do is press this button marked source 1 here first before you press anything else and then press this button here if you were watching TV before or this one if you were listening to music before. I don't get why you are being so difficult. Just because I got what I wanted."

is a conversation that has been heard in many, many households.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
(Quote:) Although I haven't purchased an HTP-1 yet (plan to in the near future however), I would hope it is at least as feature rich as a 7 year old AVP with less of almost everything else. YMMV but other than a couple of "refresher" calls the first day I set everything up - my better half is pleased and uses it daily. The projector and unswitched amps in the media room is another matter entirely, but I admit I made that intentionally obtuse to some extent. :cool: My playroom, my rules.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Out of curiosity are you still planning an HTP1? I have my remnant speakers amps and subs. Still on the fence between upcoming Anthems and HTP1......

what’s swaying your moving to the HTP1? I ask not to poke at this very appealing pre/pro - rather to hear your thoughts.

thank you!,,

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think you can set it to go either way.

I can't imagine having a system more complicated than an integrated-everything plus speakers without a Harmony remote. I wish they would update to allow more IP control, and allow pairing with Logitech bluetooth keyboards so that they're seamlessly usable with all connected devices.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I think you can set it to go either way.

I can't imagine having a system more complicated than an integrated-everything plus speakers without a Harmony remote. I wish they would update to allow more IP control, and allow pairing with Logitech bluetooth keyboards so that they're seamlessly usable with all connected devices.

ok——i just bought the harmony elite. Thanks for suggestions. Now I just need the system /a system to control!

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Thank you. Out of curiosity are you still planning an HTP1? I have my remnant speakers amps and subs. Still on the fence between upcoming Anthems and HTP1......

what’s swaying your moving to the HTP1? I ask not to poke at this very appealing pre/pro - rather to hear your thoughts.

Yes, it's on the very short list. Obviously the cost advantage is quite a compelling aspect. I was originally planning on going with the JBL SDP-55 but it seems to have even more UI and firmware issues (similar to the Anthem of course). I've completely given up on ever buying an Emotiva product other than a pure amplifier again - and even that is pretty unlikely at this point.

Honestly, if it weren't for wanting a newer ARC/DSP system than the first release of AudysseyXT32... I'd probably just keep using my 8801 for another 5 years and see if better solutions appear eventually. Part of my hesitancy to pull the trigger on the HTP-1 lies in a desperate belief that Okto, miniDSP, Topping, etc. might be working on a "thin AVP" model that just has 7 channels, Dirac, and 3-4 HDMI inputs. I'm unlikely to ever run anything more than the 5.2 setup I currently enjoy.... so something that was smaller and had fewer unused inputs and outputs would be a preferred form factor. I'd even be fine with just a 3.2 setup if it had everything else.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Honestly, if it weren't for wanting a newer ARC/DSP system than the first release of AudysseyXT32... I'd probably just keep using my 8801 for another 5 years and see if better solutions appear eventually.

I'm in a similar place. My old Integra 80.3 Pre/pro is still doing just fine, and I think one more generation should get me to where it's enough of an upgrade, without being part of a beta testing group. I'd like to see the HDMI 2.1 'thing' get smoothed out, and not require a return for an upgrade.

I'm getting to the point where I just want stuff to work, then use it for as long as possible before putting it in the 'to be sold' pile that is now 30 years old (high).

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
interesting how similar...I can keep the D2V, have reasonable audio 2 channel and be 1080p. I got sucked in to he new audio formats and did buy a new TV so want the 4/8k ability. My current room/home is so much smaller that I no longer have an audio room and even the TV/AV room is so small I am greatly overstuffing. I note this for context - maybe I should stick with 7.1 and not worry about heights etc?

my concern with the HTP1 remains the lack of confidence on the products lifecycle and 2 channel audio - maybe just afraid to take the step. Honestly when I went to Anthem from what must hav been a late 90s lexicon I was also hesitant and never loved the anthem as it could not compare to the 2 channel system - which was not a fair expectation.....

my concerns with the anthems - the 1140 is with a 4458 DAC and the AVM 70 with the 4490. The multi channel with the 1140 the 2 channel with the 70 and either / both are pretty old.......why release the new products with such aged internals.......so not thrilled and sold with any products out there - but right now I have no system running.

please dont take offense here in the htp1 thread - it’s just my thoughts externalizing as I strongly consider this pre/pro........plus with the anthems out on the market the volume of problems makes the htp1 appear stronger as best value in this range. ....thx

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Quote:) Although I haven't purchased an HTP-1 yet (plan to in the near future however), I would hope it is at least as feature rich as a 7 year old AVP with less of almost everything else. YMMV but other than a couple of "refresher" calls the first day I set everything up - my better half is pleased and uses it daily. The projector and unswitched amps in the media room is another matter entirely, but I admit I made that intentionally obtuse to some extent. :cool: My playroom, my rules.

thank you!,,[/QUOTE]
I was originally considering the upcoming Anthems until I realized they did not have Auro3D upmixing support, which I find to be the fallback alternative with most bad Atmos mixes. Many movies, despite being "Atmos", are not properly mixed to take advantage of this surround format, and this is when Auro3D comes in to play.

bigguyca

thank you!,,
I was originally considering the upcoming Anthems until I realized they did not have Auro3D upmixing support, which I find to be the fallback alternative with most bad Atmos mixes. Many movies, despite being "Atmos", are not properly mixed to take advantage of this surround format, and this is when Auro3D comes in to play.[/QUOTE]

So far the Anthem AVM 70 is a mess.

From AVSForum, the link drop you at the end of the thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-anthem-avm-70-90-owners-thread.3181385/post-60487542

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/anthem-avm-70-avm-90-processors.3171642/post-60487391

rccarguy

One person on avforums says using XLR to RCA cables to RCA amps cause a click or something, but the proper XLR amps are ok.

Annoying not true as I have seven channels XLR but for rest I have spare RCA amps

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One limitation that is a deal breaker for me would be it only has a global lip sync deal. Can't set lip sync on a per input basis.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the moment. But it will be added.
Thanks. Will keep my eye on it. I'm not really looking to switch right now, but Dirac with Bass management is intriguing for sure.

Top Bottom