• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One limitation that is a deal breaker for me would be it only has a global lip sync deal. Can't set lip sync on a per input basis.
Global or per-input, if you have to set it manually, it's quite retarded. It must be automatic & perfect.
My ~10year old Avr can do auto-lip-sync and any Avr I ever saw/tried had it. Even the cheapest ones. Kinda funny that they 'missed' such ultra basic functionality in a $4000 processor.

@TimoJ
will that be proper/auto sync? And do you have a link where it clearly says that it'll come?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I was again surprised - This HTP1 will not pass thru an analog signal. If you send an analog source (from a good DAc etc) it runs it thru the ADC/DAC - disappointing..............
The number of people who would run an analog source and insist that it be completely analog through a home theater processor is too small to go to the expense of making a purely analog path, and in so doing make people who aren't interested in this pay for a feature they would never require. People who insist on completely analog paths are not the people who generally buy home theater processors - they buy dedicated stereo preamps if a purely analog path is important to them. Different markets, and in an industry which struggles to keep a profit margin, every added feature must be scrutinized under the cold light of profit to be gained vs what most customers demand.

If you personally require an analog bypass, you can use a traditional stereo preamp and switch between this and the HT preamp going to the power amplifier for the front mains. You could do this by routing the output of the HT processor's main left and right outputs into an analog input of your stereo preamp, and switch to that input when listening to HT.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was again surprised - This HTP1 will not pass thru an analog signal. If you send an analog source (from a good DAc etc) it runs it thru the ADC/DAC - disappointing..............
Disappointing but not surprising. You're basically asking for Monoprice to include a separate high quality pre-amp system running in parallel.

Reactions: jam

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I have always known +4dBu to be the pro standard (+4dBu with up to 20dB of headroom). At 3.875V the HTP-1 is outputting exactly 14dBu (10dB headroom over +4dBu).

Please help me out with a link or document number (I am both an AES and CTA member). I cannot find any reference to a 4Vrms (+12 dBV) consumer line level standard. If this is the case it is possible that Monoprice will switch from dBu to dBV as their standard unit. As I have shown, the unit will put out 4V without clipping. It was just your method of trying to get to 4Vrms that bumped you over into clipping. Since the HTP-1 volume increments in 1dB steps, it was skipping right over 4.0V going from 14dBu (3.875V) to 15dBu (4.36V) which we now know is in the clipping range.

No disagreement from me. I agree 110%. But it should be noted that all of the 16ch immersive processors that output +18dBu (6.15V) or higher all list at $12k USD or higher.
(BTW, the Purifi is quite impressive!)

I think you missed where I took issue as well:
There does need to be further clarification from Monoprice regarding this setting.

hello,

‘’ok - if left to my own I’d settle on a wild a__ed guess and set the output voltage to 2.0v as I don’t understand how to calculate around the coarseness narrated here.

this is my amp(s) -

The XLR input is a true balance input. Both conductors are isolated relative to ground. The XLR will require a signal of 2.35 volts to output the rated power.

what would be the ideal output voltage setting on the htp-1 to get to that 2.35v without clipping? I’m concerned due to the coarseness - as in when setting to 4V it actually jumps from 3.875 to 4.36.......where shall I set it to not clip - wanting my amps 2.35v? This assumes 0db at the setting/output voltage?

I hope someone can help here.....

thanks

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Because if you’re going to do that use a lower fidelity product. The selling point here is room correction.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Because if you’re going to do that use a lower fidelity product. The selling point here is room correction.
That’s an old post - as I’m an htp1 owner Now. Also the Dirac dlbc multi sub problems remain - unresolved with no horizon on a fix from Dirac.....also another issue. Thanks for reply tho.

The previous post about where to set the output voltage to get 2.35v without clipping and work with the 1db coarseness in the htp1s volume control is where some help would be great. Thx

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The previous post about where to set the output voltage to get 2.35v without clipping and work with the 1db coarseness in the htp1s volume control is where some help would be great. Thx

That is an issue better solved with a multimeter and test tones than a forum post. Also IMO not worth obsessing over.

bigguyca

That’s an old post - as I’m an htp1 owner Now. Also the Dirac dlbc multi sub problems remain - unresolved with no horizon on a fix from Dirac.....also another issue. Thanks for reply tho.

There is a long section of over a page that covers setting the Maximum Output Voltage in the HTP-1 Manual (1/27/2010). From that whole section the following seems the most helpful:

"When this control is set correctly, the amplifier should clip just before the HTP-1 clips..."

o Using the guidance of the snippet above, initially set the Maximum Output Voltage just above 2.35V.​
o Use the HTP-1 and note where the volume control of the HTP-1 is usually set. Your system may be very loud at this Maximum Output Voltage setting so start with the volume control at a low setting.​

The helpful section of the HTP-1 continues: "...and a comfortable listening level should be obtained with the volume control between -10dB and -20dB on the front panel."

If the volume control on the front of the unit is normally below -20dB then the Maximum Output Voltage is set too high.

If you cut the Maximum Output Voltage by 50% then typical volume control setting should increase by 6dB.

For example, if initial the Maximum Output Voltage is about 2.4V then cut the Maximum Output Voltage about to about 1.2V. This change in setting should increase your typical listening level setting on the volume by 6dB. If you were listening at about -24dB this should increase your typical listening volume setting to about -18dB. You're now within the -10dB to -20dB range, which is acceptable according to Monoprice.

If you are still under -20dB then cut the Maximum Output Voltage setting by 50% again. You are now at about .6V Maximum Output Voltage. This change in setting should increase your typical listening level by another 6dB.

Overall for these two setting changes: if you were first listening at about -30dB this should increase your typical listening volume setting to about -18dB. (2 x 6dB) You're now within the -10dB to -20dB range, which Monoprice states is acceptable.

If you want to be closer to the center of the -10dB to -20dB range for some reason, then make smaller changes in the Maximum Output Voltage setting. If you are at -18dB then a 20% reduction in Maximum Output Voltage might move you to -16dB.

Hopefully the above helps.

bigguyca

That is an issue better solved with a multimeter and test tones than a forum post. Also IMO not worth obsessing over.

Are you the forum censor?

How are the multimeter and test tones to be used? Do you consider this helpful advice for a typical member here? There is no reason to have to resort of using extra equipment to accomplish basic setup of the HTP-1.

Monoprice has created a confusing situation with their instructions for setting Maximum Output Voltage.

bigguyca

The number of people who would run an analog source and insist that it be completely analog through a home theater processor is too small to go to the expense of making a purely analog path, and in so doing make people who aren't interested in this pay for a feature they would never require. People who insist on completely analog paths are not the people who generally buy home theater processors - they buy dedicated stereo preamps if a purely analog path is important to them. Different markets, and in an industry which struggles to keep a profit margin, every added feature must be scrutinized under the cold light of profit to be gained vs what most customers demand.

If you personally require an analog bypass, you can use a traditional stereo preamp and switch between this and the HT preamp going to the power amplifier for the front mains. You could do this by routing the output of the HT processor's main left and right outputs into an analog input of your stereo preamp, and switch to that input when listening to HT.

Denon produces several AVR's that have stereo analog-only signal paths. Denon AVR's that have been measured by Amir in the forum with analog pass throughs include the X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H. Amir has verified that they signal paths are purely analog. If you do a search for these AVR's you will find the measurements. It's a good idea to take the time to read and understand these measurements.

Since most of the AVR's above have better measurements than the HTP-1, and offer similar voltage output levels, they clearly are offering more than acceptable quality. Several of these AVR's have list prices under $2,000. It seems likely that the Denon units above are outselling the HTP-1. The huge cost impact that you imagine for adding the extra analog circuitry doesn't seem to be affecting sales.

There seem to be quite a few members who want use the multi-channel features of an AVR with analog stereo inputs and also at times threat the signal as pure analog. There are also members who use the phone inputs on many AVR's. There are members who think buying an AVR and using only the preamp outputs is crazy. There are others who ignore the power amplifiers. Good engineering is able to put all these features in a product that sells at a reasonable price.

The AVSForum also has threads on the Denons with a lot of valuable information. Here is an example thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...rs-thread-faq-posts-1-8.3151088/post-59754160

You may wish to dictate and limit the use of various products to certain functions, but fortunately the market for these products doesn't work this way.

Last edited:

TimoJ

Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H.

Since most of the AVR's above have better measurements than the HTP-1, and offer similar voltage output levels, they clearly are offering moer than acceptable quality.
What is better in their measurements vs. properly done HTP-1 measurements?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you consider this helpful advice for a typical member here?

Yes! Sometimes “do more, ask less” is the best actionable advice. I believe that is the case here. Sometimes “who cares” is also a necessary gut check.

You may wish to take on less of an undersexed schoolmarm scold affect in your replies, however.

There is no reason to have to resort of using extra equipment to accomplish basic setup of the HTP-1.

Well shee-it, someone really should’ve told me I didn’t need that UMIK to run Dirac on my HTP-1!

Monoprice has created a confusing situation with their instructions for setting Maximum Output Voltage.

Alternately, by giving people a choice not typical in units targeted to consumers for self installation (I don’t recall seeing it on Bryston/Storm or Lyngdorf either, for that matter) they’ve generated this new class of neuroses. All this hand wringing about output levels just isn’t very interesting. Really, as long as there’s adequate volume and sufficiently low noise floor, who cares? If that’s not the case, change in one direction and see if better or worse. Otherwise, we’re just talking about the volume readout, the difference between a volume setting at normal levels of e.g. -30 vs -15. What does that matter? It’s just a damn number.

There is something more tedious and tiresome, though: the incessant mental masterbation about all analog signal paths. That’s barely a step above wanking over cables in my mind.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alternately, by giving people a choice not typical in units targeted to consumers for self installation (I don’t recall seeing it on Bryston/Storm or Lyngdorf either, for that matter) they’ve generated this new class of neuroses. All this hand wringing about output levels just isn’t very interesting. Really, as long as there’s adequate volume and sufficiently low noise floor, who cares? If that’s not the case, change in one direction and see if better or worse. Otherwise, we’re just talking about the volume readout, the difference between a volume setting at normal levels of e.g. -30 vs -15. What does that matter? It’s just a damn number.

Agreed but folks get comfortable with the usual number.
I think it is fine to offer, traditional choices like 2V, 4V, etc.

The AHB2 has sensitivity choices so there is a value to matching the 2V or 4V setting with source component in knowing that it wont be overdriven. High channel count processors may have addition attenuation based on bass routing or fixed, It is unclear that one choice works for all sources. On the RMC-1, depending on the device, HT requires anywhere from -30 to -14 to get the vocals right.

- Rich

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You may wish to dictate and limit the use of various products to certain functions, but fortunately the market for these products doesn't work this way.

The HTP-1 is made in USA which may matter or not in a purchasing decision.

bobof

Forum Donor
One limitation that is a deal breaker for me would be it only has a global lip sync deal. Can't set lip sync on a per input basis.
There is a pretty easy way to work around this current limitation in the UI by using the "presets" functionality to use the preset buttons on the remote to change input and set the desired lipsync in one go. Takes about a minute to configure.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Since most of the AVR's above have better measurements than the HTP-1, and offer similar voltage output levels, they clearly are offering more than acceptable quality.
????
Several of these AVR's have list prices under $2,000. It seems likely that the Denon units above are outselling the HTP-1. The huge cost impact that you imagine for adding the extra analog circuitry doesn't seem to be affecting sales.
Comparing Apples and Oranges because the business models and company product life-cycles are totally different.

1. A pre/pro is a very low volume unit relative to average AVRs. The marginal cost of additional features is higher in low volume units. The relative proportion of licensed components to the total cost also determine the margins that can be realized from features that don't necessarily increase the sales proportionally because of that feature. Pre/pros suffer from this.

2. If you can amortize the marginal costs over a large number of products and you have established market channels to sell them, it becomes easier to justify. D&M do this.

3. If you have legacy technology that doesn't require re-invention for every model (i.e., amortize over several generations), the justification becomes easier. HTP-1 would have to build this from scratch, not leverage legacy technology so the development/support/maintenance costs will be higher.

D&M have a business model and legacy advantage to provide more for less but that isn't necessarily correlated with quality or be logical to infer quality because of it. If your use case requires that feature, then buy something else that will offer it.

The point being made by others here is that for the target audience of the HTP-1 (in the business model sense, not spec-reading audio geek sense), they are not going to lose enough money from people who don't buy it for that reason that will justify the cost of adding it, especially one that is in the path of extinction or at least likely to become increasingly smaller market need. This is what happens when new entrants come in. They don't include some features that will cost additional money.

Heck, some of the new entrants are even dropping analog inputs.

bobof

Forum Donor
Heck, some of the new entrants are even dropping analog inputs.
Sounds good to me, they're mostly a curiosity as far as I'm concerned these days on gear.
HDMI and the AES / SPDIF inputs are the only ones ever getting used in this install.

mongobot

Forum Donor
The HTP-1 is made in USA which may matter or not in a purchasing decision.

It seems odd to me that Monoprice does not advertise the "made in USA" aspect. No mention on the product page nor in the product image (at least that I could see).
Seems like it would be an obvious marketing bullet item.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It seems odd to me that Monoprice does not advertise the "made in USA" aspect. No mention on the product page nor in the product image (at least that I could see).
Seems like it would be an obvious marketing bullet item.
I dunno.....I am not connected to that company.

Top Bottom