• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems odd to me that Monoprice does not advertise the "made in USA" aspect. No mention on the product page nor in the product image (at least that I could see).
Seems like it would be an obvious marketing bullet item.

No eletronics device these days is really made in a single country only – China might be (or become) an exception to the rule :) It's an anachronism. A lot of people really need to get up to speed how this world actually works. But I have to agree that this silly "made in our country" marketing strategy actually works if those types are your customers.

Zooqu1ko

No eletronics device these days is really made in a single country only[...]
Made in USA is actually pretty strictly defined by the FTC, and the HTP-1 may not qualify, or it may be difficult for Monoprice to determine or even prove that it does. I believe that the CPU-board isn't made in the USA, and I doubt that the power supply is. Does MDS actually have the PCBs etched and populated in the US?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Amir will be reviewing the Trinnov Altitude 16 shortly, I welcome you to post questions and measurements requests you'd like to see, especially in the context of the HTP-1 measurements. I am collecting those questions HERE for @amirm to consider.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since most of the AVR's above have better measurements than the HTP-1, and offer similar voltage output levels, they clearly are offering more than acceptable quality. Several of these AVR's have list prices under $2,000.

This is probably the most confusing aspect of the HTP1 for me. Where is the 4k price tag justified compared to Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha offerings? I understand it's fully balanced and measure as such but most outboard amps are within only a few feet, and with only 1 zone I can't see many long cable runs for other rooms. Dirac is great but still doesn't add 30% value compared to a 6700. The 8500, price wise, is the apples to apples comparison and it's capable of so much more + equal sound quality on the pres with amps disabled. I must be missing something?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh? The Denons do not process 16 channels of audio. Nor do they have Dirac. The HTP-1 is a good value based on the rest of the market.

The 6700 and 8500 both will do 13.2 preout. So, true, they're only 15 channels. Is Dirac so dramatically better than Audyssey? Legitimate Q, I honestly don't know

TimoJ

Anthem AVM70 & AVM90 hopefully will be better and bring 9.4.6 to all aficionados
No Dirac on those units. Some AVM70 owners (AVS forum) have already sold their units and changed to HTP-1. AVM90 seems to be overpriced, it has almost the same internals as AVM70 (using the same PCBs), just different DACs and extra outputs.

Descartes

Major Contributor
No Dirac on those units. Some AVM70 owners (AVS forum) have already sold their units and changed to HTP-1. AVM90 seems to be overpriced, it has almost the same internals as AVM70 (using the same PCBs), just different DACs and extra outputs.

Yes no DIRAC but ARC Genesis and you don’t have to pay $500 for bass management plus $100 for a calibrated microphone like DIRAC, in addition it does not do 9.4.6 where as Anthem AVM 90 does!
Again we will see how they measure before judging!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Clarification on the PCM setting: For all of my sources using HDMI for audio, is it best to just leave it set to Auto (even if some movies/content are PCM audio), and then for my Analog music input set it to Biased since that is always PCM?

tjcinnamon

The 6700 and 8500 both will do 13.2 preout. So, true, they're only 15 channels. Is Dirac so dramatically better than Audyssey? Legitimate Q, I honestly don't know
Yes, I went from Audyssey on a Marantz Flagship to a Dirac and the results were astoundingly better.

tjcinnamon

Did you compare ARC Genesis vs Dirac?
unfortunately, no. I'm sure if you googled it, you'd see my name all over forums asking for the same comparison. Auditioning AVR's with Atmos systems is a huge pain and hard to do side-by-side. I really like Dirac but I've never heard Arc.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the AVM90 is DOUBLE the price of the AVM70 ($7000 vs $3500), yet is almost exactly the same machine.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For loudspeakers and amplifiers, there are comparisons done in DBT, but are there credible comparison listening test results for REQs such as AARC vs DL vs Trinnov vs XT32 SubEQHT, done in DBT?

I am aware of the one done by but that was done many years ago when I don't think Dirac, Trinnov were even available and even the Audyssey version was probably the ancient original version, or may be XT at the most.

Subjective and objective measurements are interesting but..:confused:;)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For loudspeakers and amplifiers, there are comparisons done in DBT, but are there credible comparison listening test results for REQs such as AARC vs DL vs Trinnov vs XT32 SubEQHT, done in DBT?

I am aware of the one done by but that was done many years ago when I don't think Dirac, Trinnov were even available and even the Audyssey version was probably the ancient original version, or may be XT at the most.

Subjective and objective measurements are interesting but..:confused:;)

I don't think there will be such comparisons and, even if done, would not be repeatable. What is the correlation between two REQ runs performed on different days? How many even perform after measurements?

Most do a REQ run until they pronounce it sounds really good and that is fine.
But really, this is the ultimate in subjectivism where folks are comforted by the science behind the REQ product.

How exactly can REQ or PEQ for that matter reliably correct the timing of wavelengths that are measured in inches across multiple seats?
Perhaps, it can be done.

At some point, it seems like there are limited objectives, correct for the correctable room modes, adjust levels, adjust delays to minimize nulls, and perform broad band tone controls (or the new term, house curves :)).

- Rich

Last edited:
Top Bottom