• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Gold 100 (2019 revision) measurements by SoundStage/NRC

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or any Monitor Audio for what matters. For exemple, new Silver range looks very promising. Subjectively, I always liked their products and was a big fan of previous Silver and Gold series.
Fresh on-axis and decay measurement of the new Silver range top model, nicely flat and no pronounced resonances and with the small mid driver its horizontal directivity shouldn't be bad either:

1121monitor.lab1.jpg

1121monitor.lab2.jpg

Source: https://www.hifinews.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker-lab-report

Anterantz

Yeah, even the Bronze wasn’t as bad:
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...dio-bronze-6-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=153

And it has 87dB sensitivity.

The older (before 2014) GX100 was better:
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
And ~87dB.

So the current model has worse FR/directivity (distortion is better) and more difficult to power. I wonder how the 2014 Gold 100 measured.
Hello, I'm sorry to be repetitive but I don't understand what sensitivity these boxes have ... in its manual it says 88db 1w / 1m but they were measured at 86.5db at 2.83v / 1m does it mean that the manual measurement is correct or is it 3db less sensitive?

Is that I am
shuffling if it is worth putting external stage since I use quite a lot of spl and I was shuffling or stage or changing boxes.

But I love how these speakers sound, but I am calculating the power I need to get
100db.

Someone clarify for me?

OP
M

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I'm sorry to be repetitive but I don't understand what sensitivity these boxes have ... in its manual it says 88db 1w / 1m but they were measured at 86.5db at 2.83v / 1m does it mean that the manual measurement is correct or is it 3db less sensitive?

Is that I am
shuffling if it is worth putting external stage since I use quite a lot of spl and I was shuffling or stage or changing boxes.

But I love how these speakers sound, but I am calculating the power I need to get
100db.

Someone clarify for me?
I haven’t updated the calculations in a while, but last time I did, going my the IEC sensitivity spec that I go by (300Hz-3kHz) your average speaker is 1.5dB less sensitive than what is claimed in the manufacturer specifications.

Now, SoundStage/NRC calculates the sensitivity on the listening window and not the on-axis, but they should be similar.

Anterantz

I haven’t updated the calculations in a while, but last time I did, going my the IEC sensitivity spec that I go by (300Hz-3kHz) your average speaker is 1.5dB less sensitive than what is claimed in the manufacturer specifications.

Now, SoundStage/NRC calculates the sensitivity on the listening window and not the on-axis, but they should be similar.
Hello thanks for answering so if it is 1.5db less than the manufacturer would it be 86.5db at 1w / 1m?

Anterantz

Esa sería la diferencia promedio para cualquier altavoz, puede ver que los modelos de Monitor Audio que vinculé eran 87.3dB y 86.7dB, así que compárelo con sus especificaciones.
thanks

Top Bottom