• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 76.0%

• Total voters

FranZe

Okay, here it goes. I’ve Node 2i —> analoge out —> Rega elex-r —> Kef r3

I play from Qobuz and local media, and now i want to add a sub (dont have but will add it later), and add one more when budget allows it. I’m a little bit confused what to buy. Is Flex the one to buy? Lets say budget wise thats the roof to aim for.

Any advice someone?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I play from Qobuz and local media, and now i want to add a sub (dont have but will add it later), and add one more when budget allows it. I’m a little bit confused what to buy. Is Flex the one to buy? Lets say budget wise thats the roof to aim for.

Any advice someone?
Flex would be a good choice - you could either get the analogue, then Node>toslink>flex>Analogue> Rega and Subs

Or you could get the digital version, go with toslink from flex to Rega - and if you get subs with digitial inputs, could use digital connections to them - or get a dac for analogue subs. Digital to subs would have the advantage of not being suceptible to ground loops which can be a problem with them being remote from the source.

Chagall

Forum Donor

Any advice someone?

As @antcollinet said flex is a great option. But IMO makes sense if you someday plan on buying a UMIK mic and doing room correction - EQ or dirac. Otherwise, it's overkill.

If you want to do a simple crossover and don't have a sub already, KEF's own KC62 & KF92($$$) have a high pass to match the frequency response of your speakers along with some rudimentary EQ. So, Node (volume control) -> analog out -> KC62 -> analog out (high pass) -> Rega -> R3

The problem with all options is that your integrated Rega amp isn't going to control the volume of the sub/s. So your volume control is going to be flex or Node if you don't go with flex and go kef subs instead.

Oh, and yes welcome to ASR.

LiviuTM

Forum Donor
The flex is in a different class than the dac and a few sinad at those already exellent levels will not make a difference.
As far as i know felx does 2.2 not 2.1 except if you use a y cable to merge the signals of both subs to one.
Actually, Flex does 2.1 and the setup is pretty simple. See this excerpt from the Flex manual.

Attachments

• MiniDSP Flex 2.1 setup.png
    MiniDSP Flex 2.1 setup.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 189

great04

Yep exactly this. As MiniDSP says on their website it shouldn’t be a problem but you will likely lose a few dBs of SINAD. I would just go with a specific cable with Ring connection floating or using the trick with the TRS to RCA splitter if those special cables are not available or too expensive
Hi Julian,
I am a newbie hear and didn't fully understand your advice above. I have a 2.1 system and want to use miniDSP Flex (balanced) as DAC and DSP. I intend to use only one port of the Y splitter (TRS male to RCA female adapter), then a long coaxial RCA to subwoofer line-in (something like the photo below). Does it work as you recommended? Also, how can I determine if a cable meets the configuration required by miniDSP, as shown in your diagram? Thanks!

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Another basic question. If I had the balanced TRS output version of the Flex, is there any issue using TRS to RCA cables to connect the Flex to my amp (which only has RCA inputs)? Any recommendations for a particular type of cable or converter for that setup?
No no problem. If it wasn’t sold out this one would work.

LiviuTM

Forum Donor
Another basic question. If I had the balanced TRS output version of the Flex, is there any issue using TRS to RCA cables to connect the Flex to my amp (which only has RCA inputs)? Any recommendations for a particular type of cable or converter for that setup?
It works without an issue, I used some cheap mono 1/4 to RCA cables with Audioengine A5+ (https://jb-systems.eu/2-0435), which did their job without a hitch.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It works without an issue, I used some cheap mono 1/4 to RCA cables with Audioengine A5+ (https://jb-systems.eu/2-0435), which did their job without a hitch.
Mono TS cables on the output is not advisable since you are shorting the output cold connection to ground.

It probably won't damage it, but I'd not want to put it to the test.

LiviuTM

Forum Donor
I chose the cables based on MiniDSP recommendations:

This is how I understood it should be done, with a dual mono cable, as Flex is outputting mono signals anyway. I'm by no means no expert, maybe I got it wrong. It worked for me, though.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose the cables based on MiniDSP recommendations:

This is how I understood it should be done, with a dual mono cable, as Flex is outputting mono signals anyway. I'm by no means no expert, maybe I got it wrong. It worked for me, though.
Mono cables usually have TS connectors on - not TRS connectors as shown in the Mini DSP Document.

Or are you talking TRS to 2xRCA, and only using one of the RCA, as described in the subwoofer document?

How many contacts are on the connector? 2 (Tip and sleeve) or 3 (Tip ring and sleeve). If 3 you should be fine. If 2 you are short circuiting the output.

rainbowzebra

No no problem. If it wasn’t sold out this one would work.

Has anyone used another RCA to TRS cable or adapter that has worked for inputting a turntable into a balanced Flex? I see many RCA to TS options, and split RCA to TRS options, but am having trouble locating mono RCA to TRS in the configuration I understand is best (with the tip and ring of the TRS connected to the red and black, respectively, and the shield of the TRS not connected to the RCA's red or black).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone used another RCA to TRS cable or adapter that has worked for inputting a turntable into a balanced Flex? I see many RCA to TS options, and split RCA to TRS options, but am having trouble locating mono RCA to TRS in the configuration I understand is best (with the tip and ring of the TRS connected to the red and black, respectively, and the shield of the TRS not connected to the RCA's red or black).
On the input I use a simple RCA to TS for a turntable. It works fine, and performance will exceed the levels vinyl is capable of.

FranZe

Flex would be a good choice - you could either get the analogue, then Node>toslink>flex>Analogue> Rega and Subs

Or you could get the digital version, go with toslink from flex to Rega - and if you get subs with digitial inputs, could use digital connections to them - or get a dac for analogue subs. Digital to subs would have the advantage of not being suceptible to ground loops which can be a problem with them being remote from the source.
As @antcollinet said flex is a great option. But IMO makes sense if you someday plan on buying a UMIK mic and doing room correction - EQ or dirac. Otherwise, it's overkill.

If you want to do a simple crossover and don't have a sub already, KEF's own KC62 & KF92($$$) have a high pass to match the frequency response of your speakers along with some rudimentary EQ. So, Node (volume control) -> analog out -> KC62 -> analog out (high pass) -> Rega -> R3

The problem with all options is that your integrated Rega amp isn't going to control the volume of the sub/s. So your volume control is going to be flex or Node if you don't go with flex and go kef subs instead.

Oh, and yes welcome to ASR.

Thanks for the welcome and feedbacks.

But when i have a integrated amp will it be ideal with minidsp? I do then gets 2x preamp? Best way is minidsp —> poweramp? Or does it work okay? In my mind i do want the shd version, because of the connections options. By the way, my plan is to change to a poweramp later.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But when i have a integrated amp will it be ideal with minidsp? I do then gets 2x preamp? Best way is minidsp —> poweramp? Or does it work okay? In my mind i do want the shd version, because of the connections options. By the way, my plan is to change to a poweramp later.
Mini DSP isn't really a preamp, it just implements digital volume in case you want to use it with a power amp.

Nothing wrong with outputting to an integrated amp (Mine feeds an AVR).

If changing to a power amp later, it might be worth considering a model with balanced outputs.

Sparkles

Yes Flex works straight to power amp no problem.

diablo

Forum Donor
New software update available now Device Console V 1.1.16.

Updated my balanced Flex all good and operational.

Robert
I was looking at basic PEQ settings earlier on my Flex 8 today, hoping it had a 'high shelf' option. It didn't.
Though the new version has it. :)

Robocop

Not sure on Flex 8 but my Flex has always had Filter Types on PEQ page: Low/High shelf on right hand side in separate box along from frequency settings at bottom.

Last edited:

Calypso1

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have been ready through all the posts (1/3 way through), reading the device specs, and also the extremely helpful documents on the miniDSP website. I have summarized in the drawing my understanding today on how to integrate the miniDSP into a 2.1 system but I am still unclear in some areas, such as, volume management.

If you have a moment, please review my drawing and let me know what I missed or misunderstood. Thanks.

Attachments

• HIFi_Layout.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom