• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 80 33.9%

• Total voters

tlkmx

Its a bit weird because compared to the m2 the latency is better at a higher buffer but at lower buffers its just double the amount.
Is topping reliable when it comes to driver ?
I'm doing music production and i've been buying motu stuff so far but this looks like a decent small desktop unit i'm just worried drivers will be lacking long term

staticV3

Master Contributor
Its a bit weird because compared to the m2 the latency is better at a higher buffer but at lower buffers its just double the amount.
Is topping reliable when it comes to driver ?
I'm doing music production and i've been buying motu stuff so far but this looks like a decent small desktop unit i'm just worried drivers will be lacking long term
Are you referring to Julian Krause's round trip latency results?
Screenshot_20240306-112322_YouTube.png Screenshot_20240306-112116_YouTube.png

Those aren't directly comparable as they were measured at different sample rates.

staticV3

Master Contributor
yeah but im comparing to the m2 he recorded some at 48khz too
Ah of course, my bad.

Yeah it is a bit strange how latency plateaus with low buffer size on the Topping.

tlkmx

Ah of course, my bad.

Yeah it is a bit strange how latency plateaus with low buffer size on the Topping.
Yeah its almost double the latency of the motu at 8 samples 48khz.
Also motu seems like more reliable in the driver long term viability domain since its a known player.
But for sure this interface for 150$ looks nice

Giorgio

Hi!

Big question for you guys! I'm a sound designer and my current setup is:

-Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen)
- Byedynamic DT770 pro (250Ω)
- a cheap portable headphone amplifier from ESYNic (costs around 30€).

Lately, I wanted to resell my current audio interface and I can't decide between a Topping E4x4 and an Audient id14 MKII. The topping option is appealing because of the excellent HP amp (I mainly work on headphones), but, do you think this will still be much better than the combo Audient id14 MKII + my current amplifier? I never had problems with my ESYNic, I can't hear any background noise and I can reach high levels of gain with it. Do you still think that the Topping E4x4 would be a much better option for me?
Mostra meno

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you still think that the Topping E4x4 would be a much better option for me?
Only for its simplicity.
In terms of headphone sound quality, the E4x4 is unlikely to make a difference.

Edit: should you ever upgrade to more challenging, low impedance headphones, then the high quality Amp of the E4x4 could be worth it.
So, better for its simplicity and future proofing.

Last edited:

Giorgio

Only for its simplicity.
In terms of headphone sound quality, the E4x4 is unlikely to make a difference.

Edit: should you ever upgrade to more challenging, low impedance headphones, then the high quality Amp of the E4x4 could be worth it.
So, better for its simplicity and future proofing.
So at the current state do you think that the combination of Topping Audio Interface + Byedynamic DT770 pro (250Ω) would just translate into a boost in volume? I mean, the Topping interface wouldn't provide enough power to correctly drive my headphones? What kind of improvements should I expect if I had (as an example) an 80Ω headphone?
Thank you so much for your reply by the way!

staticV3

Master Contributor
So at the current state do you think that the combination of Topping Audio Interface + Byedynamic DT770 pro (250Ω) would just translate into a boost in volume?
Whether the E4x4 would result in a boost in maximum volume depends on the gain of your current headphone Amp.

I mean, the Topping interface wouldn't provide enough power to correctly drive my headphones?
It would easily provide enough power to correctly drive your headphones.

What kind of improvements should I expect if I had (as an example) an 80Ω headphone?
With something like the Aeon RT Closed, you may experience clipping with your current amp, but clean playback with the Topping.

An 80Ω headphone may still be done either way.

jannek

Such a pity Topping did not build this with a DAC SINAD like we're used to from them. With a DAC like D10s and the given headphone amp and ADC this would be a noBrainer. Even if more expensive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Such a pity Topping did not build this with a DAC SINAD like we're used to from them. With a DAC like D10s and the given headphone amp and ADC this would be a noBrainer. Even if more expensive.
The E2x2's DAC is audibly transparent.

Anyone chasing higher SINAD hoping to improve playback fidelity, is wasting their time and money.

Bob101

Anyone chasing higher SINAD hoping to improve playback fidelity, is wasting their time and money.
The excellent ADC and powerful headphone amp are far more useful than SOTA DAC-performance at this price...
I own a D70pro Sabre DAC and the E2x2. In my room, with my gear, I do not notice a difference in SQ when listening.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never thought I would buy this. But I did, but for a very different use case, namely for room measurements, and I am happy with the product.

Only wish that the output was in XLR as well.

jannek

Audible transparency may be an argument for a device used only for recording and listening, but the analog output of this must also be seen as a signal generator and reference if the device is used for measuring. And in a loopback measurement the very good ADC is limited by the output of the DAC.

P.S. if a DAC with a SINAD of 100 dB is audibly transparent (which I don't doubt) then you could ask what the race for better and better SINAD and THD+N is all about... And even the 90$ D10s is overengineered. But this is another topic.

Last edited:

soundslike

I bought one recently. Excellent driver stability, high sound quality, and a full feature set. I expect that most will be happy with the cost to performance ratio here. Yes, there are trade offs but most of them are not deal breakers for the price. Plus, my use case is not exactly high end mixing, it is recording on the fly. Thus, environmental factors and a wide range of all sorts mics/instruments usually generate enough noise that I don't notice the shortcomings as much as one using it as a dac in a quiet setting would. I am also recording a interview style podcast series on this as have so far been pretty satisfied with the performance.

tiramisu

Just noticed this one... so waiting for the next 3 or 4 to arrive.
Still on my old umc404hd. The numbers may not be great but inserts and midi port are hard to beat.

When topping delivers their e4x4 with 32-bit float, and the usable ports; digital, midi, inserts I will be waiting.

tlkmx

is this recent ?
i know its not the same interface but it seems like basically the same interface with OTG and 1 less xlr in
if its possible to send audio from an ipad to the interface its kinda cool.
oh no apparently the OTG is only an output..

Then how does it differ from the e2x2 ?

Decebel

Good afternoon!
I still haven't figured out if the audio drivers are ASIO topping? (there is no mention anywhere).
Additionally, I have compared the line outputs and headphone outputs of Focusrite scarlett 2i2 3rd gen and Topping E2x2 for you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    527.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.png
    2.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.png
    3.png
    484.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.png
    4.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.png
    5.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.png
    6.png
    560.7 KB · Views: 79

Feargal

is this recent ?
i know its not the same interface but it seems like basically the same interface with OTG and 1 less xlr in
if its possible to send audio from an ipad to the interface its kinda cool.
oh no apparently the OTG is only an output..

Then how does it differ from the e2x2 ?

I'm curious about this too. It's the same price as the E2x2 on Scan in the UK. Makes me wonder if Topping will bring out OTG versions of the E2x2 etc. as well. I'm not entirely sure I need it though.

Top Bottom