• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Rate this audio interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 80 33.9%

• Total voters

Halcyon

For anyone who is wondering. I contacted the Topping Sales team to ask when they would be supplying European retailers with this product. They informed me that Scan was their main UK distributor and that I should contact them. After contacting the Scan sales team, they informed me that they had just received this product and said I could buy it from them now (through email). So I'm guessing they will have it on their site soon. Hopefully, this is going to start appearing on more sites too.

Audiophonics.FR has the E1x2 OTG & E2X2

... incoming in April, but ready for ordering.

Decebel

Doesn't the E2x2 work over OTG with a smartphone? Has someone conducted an experiment and tested it?

Bob101

Doesn't the E2x2 work over OTG with a smartphone? Has someone conducted an experiment and tested it?
I tested my E2x2 for playback with VLC on an Android phone, and it works, both with external power and powered off of the phone. Mono files only play in the left speaker. Haven't tried recording.

Decebel

I tested my E2x2 for playback with VLC on an Android phone, and it works, both with external power and powered off of the phone. Mono files only play in the left speaker. Haven't tried recording.

Well, then why is the OTG version in E1x2, if it works in E2x2 without OTG? Is this marketing?

Halcyon

Well, then why is the OTG version in E1x2, if it works in E2x2 without OTG? Is this marketing?
e1x2 has 3 USB-C ports (power, USB-C computer also OTG, USB-C mobile OTG), e2x2 has 2 USB-C ports (power, USB-C data either desktop OR OTG mobile)

So, I guess the main diff for OTG is simultaneous desktop + mobile connection or dual mobile OTG at the same time (while being USB-C powered)

So1arScope

I've just got my E2x2 from Scan, and I can confirm that both playback and recording works for mobile connection. I used bundled usb-c cable to Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, and Samsung charger to power usb-c port. I used a condenser microphone with phantom power enabled.
I bought it for a low-volume karaoke setup, works great with Yamaha HS5.

vince789

Anyone know any retailers that will ship globally at a reasonable fee/time. AliExpress is 4 weeks for me. Scan won't ship globally and Audiophonics still don't have stock

PopDV

the MIC pre-amps are horrible in E2x2
even I had a lot of expectation for this interface. DAC is good, Headphones amp is very good but mic pre-amp have significant noise level + when you adjusting mic levels with knobs you hear click and additional noise.
Test done with Sennheiser MKE600 with both +48V phantom and internal AA battery (with int power couples dB better but not a big diff). Amp level max 70% but even lower I hear the noise even without connected mic. I tried diff setting level + digital level >> the result not good at all scenarios
Previously had Zoom F6 - absolutely different level of mic preamps. But now I need all in one audio interface.
I also did test with Rode Wireless GO II with internal rec - and also much better that E2x2
So not acceptable have to return

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
the MIC pre-amps are horrible in E2x2
even I had a lot of expectation for this interface. DAC is good, Headphones amp is very good but mic pre-amp have significant noise level + when you adjusting mic levels with knobs you hear click and additional noise.
Test done with Sennheiser MKE600 with both +48V phantom and internal AA battery (with int power couples dB better but not a big diff). Amp level max 70% but even lower I hear the noise even without connected mic. I tried diff setting level + digital level >> the result not good at all scenarios
Previously had Zoom F6 - absolutely different level of mic preamps. But now I need all in one audio interface.
I also did test with Rode Wireless GO II with internal rec - and also much more better that E2x2
So not acceptable have to return
The numbers don't lie:
Screenshot_20240425-170233_YouTube.png

Difficult to say what's causing the noise in your case without more details. Could be a faulty unit, could be user error.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The noise when adjusting input gain is known to occur and appears to be a quirk of this particular design, but other than that the input should definitely not be noisy at all. Please check whether it occurs on the other channel as well. I have a cheapie interface where one channel gets obscenely noisy as soon as phantom power is turned on, I suspect a bad coupling capacitor with excessive leakage as the cause. Compare noise levels at open input with phantom power either on or off to make sure it's not something like that. They should not be substantially different once things have settled down.

PopDV

The noise when adjusting input gain is known to occur and appears to be a quirk of this particular design, but other than that the input should definitely not be noisy at all. Please check whether it occurs on the other channel as well. I have a cheapie interface where one channel gets obscenely noisy as soon as phantom power is turned on, I suspect a bad coupling capacitor with excessive leakage as the cause. Compare noise levels at open input with phantom power either on or off to make sure it's not something like that. They should not be substantially different once things have settled down.
Here is test audio files recorded directed to DAW and saved as WAV without any processing
Inputs are open (no mics, no wires)
files names:
(if no digits then variable from min to max level)
Levels = physical knobs levels [level 0-100%]
DigitLvl = digital level [level 0-20] in Topping App
48[on/off] = phantom power on/off
Topping E2x2 inputs test recordings

Last edited:
Top Bottom