• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD vs Flex HTx

SHD or Flex HTx

• SHD

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Flex HTx

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Cougar80

I’m currently contemplating between the MiniDSP Flex HTx and SHD for my living room 2.1 system that does double duty for audio and TV.

My requirements:
  1. Analog in for my turn table: both check that box.
  2. Roon endpoint: SHD is Roon Ready, Flex HTx would continue to use my RPi streamer w/ Allo DigiOne.
  3. Audio for TV: SHD would use Toslink in, meaning two remotes to watch TV. Flex HTx has HDMI eARC: could use one remote.
  4. Headphone out: Since SHD would be using 3 outs for the 2.1 system, I’d have to use the digital out and get an external DAC/headphone amp. With the Flex HTx I could use analog out to a headphone amp.
  5. Room correction for 2.1 system: SHD uses 96khz internal sample rate. Flex HTx uses 48khz. I don’t see going to surround sound in my current house, but the Flex could easily expand to a 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 system.
With the Dirac license and the Umik-1 mic both are about the same price. However, the SHD can be found used. On the other hand the Flex HTx is a newer unit and may hold its value longer. MiniDSP has to be working on an update to the SHD since it’s been around for 5+ years.

HDMI is a huge plus for me. So really my decision boils down to how important is the 96khz vs 48khz internal sample rate? Is that audible? I could overcome the down sides of the SHD if it truly maximizes the performance of my audio system.

Is there anything I’m missing?

Thank you!

radix

Major Contributor
The SHD + Roon is ok. The Volumio implementation on SHD is old and crufty. I used an external streamer on the SHD anyway, before I moved to Anthem STR.

For me, the remotes would be the deal breaker. I'd want HDMI eARC. You should make sure your TV can output multichannel linear PCM, as the HT does not have a decoder. It also needs HDMI CEC enabled to exchange commands (like power and volume). See https://docs.minidsp.com/product-manuals/flex-ht/basic-operation/hdmi-audio.html.

I've not used the multi-channel DIRAC processing. You might want to make sure that you can leave two channels unprocessed for headphones, or you'd need to disable the DIRAC processing when listening to the headphones.

I've never used the Flex HT. Maybe someone has the same TV you use? I think it also depends on the TV apps, not just the TV.

OP
C

Cougar80

The SHD + Roon is ok. The Volumio implementation on SHD is old and crufty. I used an external streamer on the SHD anyway, before I moved to Anthem STR.

For me, the remotes would be the deal breaker. I'd want HDMI eARC. You should make sure your TV can output multichannel linear PCM, as the HT does not have a decoder. It also needs HDMI CEC enabled to exchange commands (like power and volume). See https://docs.minidsp.com/product-manuals/flex-ht/basic-operation/hdmi-audio.html.

I've not used the multi-channel DIRAC processing. You might want to make sure that you can leave two channels unprocessed for headphones, or you'd need to disable the DIRAC processing when listening to the headphones.

I've never used the Flex HT. Maybe someone has the same TV you use? I think it also depends on the TV apps, not just the TV.

Thank you for the reply.

The dodgy streamer removes a check from the SHD pro list.

I’ve got an LG OLED C2 which has eARC, PCM, pass through audio and HDMI CEC. So I should be good to go there.

I plan on having one of the 4 configs mute my speaker (1/2) and sub (3) outs and the. have the 4/5 outs go to the headphone amp.

Any opinion on 96khz vs 48khz internal sample rates? That and digital out seems to be the only pros of the SHD over the Flex HTx.

radix

Major Contributor
Any opinion on 96khz vs 48khz internal sample rates? That and digital out seems to be the only pros of the SHD over the Flex HTx.

If you look at the analog measurements in Amir's reviews, the Flex is a fair bit better than the SHD. The internal sampling rate does not matter, the analog output does.

radix

Major Contributor
Looking back at the measurements, the Flex is not a lot better than the SHD, but somewhat better. Maybe it was the ADC I was thinking of, but you're going digital in. So, not much difference at all between the two even with different internal sampling rates. They are all well beyond our ability to hear the difference.

To be more specific, here's a Flex HT review. Looks like about 110 dB SNR and 0.0004% THD+N. This was done by a forum member, not Amir on the AP and the voltages are different than Amir's reviews.

and here for the SHD. About 112 dB SINAD and 0.0002% THD+N.

And here for the plan Flex. About 114 dB SINAD and 0.0002% THD+N.

OP
C

Cougar80

Looking back at the measurements, the Flex is not a lot better than the SHD, but somewhat better. Maybe it was the ADC I was thinking of, but you're going digital in. So, not much difference at all between the two even with different internal sampling rates. They are all well beyond our ability to hear the difference.

To be more specific, here's a Flex HT review. Looks like about 110 dB SNR and 0.0004% THD+N. This was done by a forum member, not Amir on the AP and the voltages are different than Amir's reviews.

and here for the SHD. About 112 dB SINAD and 0.0002% THD+N.

And here for the plan Flex. About 114 dB SINAD and 0.0002% THD+N.

Thank you for the links. I will be using analog in for my turn table, but I listen to LPs more for the ritual than fidelity, so I suppose as long as the ADC is decent in the Flex HTx I’ll be happy.

OP
C

Cougar80

The SHD series got Volumio 3 with the latest updates, so not old and crufty at all anymore.
As a Roon Ready device it would be nice to be able to control volume from my Roon Remote app but I think volume control for the TV with HDMI eARC trumps that. I’d love to see N update of the SHD with HDMI and more outputs.

radix

Major Contributor
The SHD series got Volumio 3 with the latest updates, so not old and crufty at all anymore.
I need to update!

dadsnavE

@Cougar80 You mentioned a couple of times that you will be using the analog input for your turntable. Just to be sure you know, you will need a phono preamp between the turntable and the miniDSP analog inputs.

No offense intended if you already know this, just some folks assume that since the turntable has RCA outputs, and the mini has RCA inputs that all that is needed is to plug it in...

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve got an LG OLED C2 which has eARC, PCM, pass through audio and HDMI CEC. So I should be good to go there.
Better check it. In my LG TVs, PCM is stereo only. They do not decode surround into multichannel linear PCM (LPCM). You can test this with an existing AVR or even a soundbar with surround. Choose PCM in the menu and see what comes out. In my case both AVR and soundbar switch to two-channel mode.

OP
C

Cougar80

@Cougar80 You mentioned a couple of times that you will be using the analog input for your turntable. Just to be sure you know, you will need a phono preamp between the turntable and the miniDSP analog inputs.

No offense intended if you already know this, just some folks assume that since the turntable has RCA outputs, and the mini has RCA inputs that all that is needed is to plug it in...
Thank you for the heads up, but I’m aware. Probably going with the Schiit Mani 2 based on Amir’s review here.

OP
C

Cougar80

Better check it. In my LG TVs, PCM is stereo only. They do not decode surround into multichannel linear PCM (LPCM). You can test this with an existing AVR or even a soundbar with surround. Choose PCM in the menu and see what comes out. In my case both AVR and soundbar switch to two-channel mode.
Thank you. I read the entire HTx thread here and this has really turned me off the HTx. I’m currently looking for a decent deal on a used SHD and am going to hold off on the HTx or similar until they release a model that can decode bitstream.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
going to hold off on the HTx or similar until they release a model that can decode bitstream.
I've been having trouble finding a use case for the HTX. There's an app note for using it with an Apple TV 4K box, which does decode to LPCM, but that's rare, or appears so. None of the streaming gadgets list LPCM decode in the specs, including Apple TV 4K.

OP
C

Cougar80

I've been having trouble finding a use case for the HTX. There's an app note for using it with an Apple TV 4K box, which does decode to LPCM, but that's rare, or appears so. None of the streaming gadgets list LPCM decode in the specs, including Apple TV 4K.
Yeah I think it’s a big miss by miniDSP. I was really excited about the HTx before I figured out what a pain getting LPCM to it would be. How do you make a home theater digital processor that doesn’t decode bitstream? The cheapest AVR boxes can do that. Hopefully miniDSP fixes this with a new product. Once they do I don’t see the HTx having much resale value.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

Flex HT(x) are indeed niche product as the lack of bitstream decoding prevent to use them as AVP.
But it doesn't mean that there are no use case for them.
They are addressing uses cases where:
- you need only 5.x or 7.1 channels.
- you have existing lpcm sources over hdmi
- you have existing lpcm sources over analog
- you have existing stereo sources over digital
- you have existing power amps

In these scenario, Flex HT(x) are perfect preamp / volume control/ processor / DRC central hubs in your system.

But of course, an ARV is much simple as it is all-in-one box doing all of above.

I never used my AVR for stereo music (while I could) as I preferred to have a distinct route for music (especially to have dedicated amps to handle low impedance speakers).
But at the same time, I also needed to route TV/Movie sound to my speakers

Flex HT allowed me to remove by big AVR that I had and used only for bitstream decoding.

At least, I wish minidsp did not relied on eArc and allowed plain lpcm over HDMI. It would remove the need for adding earc box in the path if your sources are not earc (cheaper alternatives to hdfury exists for that).

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
What does the bitstream decoding now, since you removed the AVR?
My (french) internet provider provides me 2 boxes : server box ( internet / router / nas / home automation and alarm) and media box (TV and apps).
The media box can either send bitstream or can do local bitstream decoding (including Atmos) and then send lpcm.
That is the reason why I got interest in the Flex.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
The only thing I got tricked with is the eArc requirement.
My media box unfortunately does not support earc.
I had to get a FeinTech VAX04101A to route video stream to the TV and the earc audio to the Flex.
It was way cheaper than a HD fury, very small form factor (hidden behind other devices) and works like a charm.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
The dodgy streamer removes a check from the SHD pro list.
miniDSP released an update to Volumio at the end of last year, December I think. To me, it seamed like a significant improvement over the previous version.

I didn't use Volumio, though. I just streamed to the SHD using the Tidal Connect App or Logitech Media Server, and both worked great.

Top Bottom