• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 76.0%

• Total voters

CyBorek

I am actually considering FLEX balanced version. Want to add DIRAC to my system. For now to use with SMSL-SA9 upgraded to SONCOZ SGP1 in the future. I have SONCOZ LA-QXD11 DAC So balanced outputs would be very welcome for both amps.
I have two questions:
1. Will MiniDSP Flex works well as a preamp (need volume control for SONCOZ SGP1)
2. How to connect active subwoofer like REL or SVS to FLEX (using balanced out)?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am actually considering FLEX balanced version. Want to add DIRAC to my system. For now to use with SMSL-SA9 upgraded to SONCOZ SGP1 in the future. I have SONCOZ LA-QXD11 DAC So balanced outputs would be very welcome for both amps.
I have two questions:
1. Will MiniDSP Flex works well as a preamp (need volume control for SONCOZ SGP1)
2. How to connect active subwoofer like REL or SVS to FLEX (using balanced out)?
1 yes.

2 you have 4 output channels. 2 for your main speakers leaving 2 for 1 or 2 subs. The flex can handle crossover and summing of the 2 input channels (for mono sub) internally.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1 yes.

2 you have 4 output channels. 2 for your main speakers leaving 2 for 1 or 2 subs. The flex can handle crossover and summing of the 2 input channels (for mono sub) internally.

if your sub have RCA inputs ...

2.1 - you can use a TRS - RCA cable (in the minidsp product web page you can add it to the shopping cart) to one sub in stereo / mono or to 2 subs in mono

anotherhobby

Forum Donor

juliangst

I've got a subwoofer now and need some advice how to integrate it properly.
Should I apply high pass and low pass filters first and correct L+Sub and R+Sub or should I do individual correction filters for L,R and Sub?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

prerich

Although it can be used numerous ways, I view this piece as nothing more than an active crossover - there are too many other dacs to use this product as my dac.

prerich

Why the palm face? It's just how I use it and view it. I have a Gustard x16 dac, which measures pretty well. What I wrote is just how I view the piece of gear while at the same time, acknowledging its "Flex"-ability....I just don't use it that way. Oh and its DSP functions (but I include that in the crossover statement - I should have made my statement clear). It's just an upgrade from my old trusty miniDSP 2X4. I'll never add Dirac to it, I'll never use it as a streamer. I'll never use it as my DAC. For me - this is for subwoofer duty and subwoofer duty alone.

will.b

Forum Donor
@prerich
What was the advantage for you in the Flex against the 2x4? Seems like they would do the same job from what you have described.

prerich

@prerich
What was the advantage for you in the Flex against the 2x4? Seems like they would do the same job from what you have described.
My former 2x4 was unbalanced....and I just wanted to go balanced (and I liked the way the flex looked...yeah...yeah I know). I gave the 2x4 to a friend and helped him tune his subs last night and I'm going to install my Flex tonight. It does look kinda cool!!!!

will.b

Forum Donor
My former 2x4 was unbalanced....and I just wanted to go balanced (and I liked the way the flex looked...yeah...yeah I know). I gave the 2x4 to a friend and helped him tune his subs last night and I'm going to install my Flex tonight. It does look kinda cool!!!!
Similary for me too, the balanced connections was probably the main reason for my upgrade from the DDRC-24.
All my other equipment have balanced connections.
You probably won't notice in your setup but for me the complete lack of hiss from the mains due to the Flex is much appreciated in my TV/Music/Sitting room.

dougi

Has anyone started to use the MiniDSP Device Console (DC) software/firmware that is now available in beta for the Flex series? Are there any benefits for a single MiniDSP device system? i.e. is it worth using it in terms of ease of use, management etc?

prerich

As I've said before ...it's a subwoofer dsp/crossover for me...but after diving into it........yeah, I can see where someone else could use it for various things. It's a nice piece of kit indeed!

kolestonin

I am currently using a pair of active speakers applying a 80Hz low pass filter via the SVS app.

Next week I will receive my miniDsp Flex with the last pieces of equipment for my first passive speakers set up.

I guess applying the low pas filter via the miniDsp plugin is the best option.
Should I reset all settings of my sb-100pro sub to default in the SVS app before connecting it to miniDsp?

As general info, does the plugin overrides the app or the oposite?

poxymoron

I am currently using a pair of active speakers applying a 80Hz low pass filter via the SVS app.

Next week I will receive my miniDsp Flex with the last pieces of equipment for my first passive speakers set up.

I guess applying the low pas filter via the miniDsp plugin is the best option.
Should I reset all settings of my sb-100pro sub to default in the SVS app before connecting it to miniDsp?

As general info, does the plugin overrides the app or the oposite?
I've not used a sub with my Flex yet but I would think that you skip the app and leave the crossover at the highest so that the Flex can manage it. I'd be very surprised if the app can do everything that the Flex can do, or do it better.

kolestonin

what am I doing wrong?
1666039962486.png

fixed!
I had to set miniDsp ASIO Driver as the default device
1666040190992.png

gandalfandula

I am looking into a Flex or SHD Studio for my system and I am considering it as a DIRAC platform/input switcher with a secondary DSP (CamillaDSP on an Rpi) for the actual crossover work. My questions are:

Does it work (well enough) to use DIRAC on one system and another for the PEQ, FIR filters, Xover, etc.? Or is it too much of a faff in actual use? I am thinking about this signal path:

Flex as source > DIRAC applied > AES/EBU out > in Okto Dac8Pro > out over USB to CamillaDSP RPi > in over USB back to Okto > Okto analog out to amps

MCH

Major Contributor
I am looking into a Flex or SHD Studio for my system and I am considering it as a DIRAC platform/input switcher with a secondary DSP (CamillaDSP on an Rpi) for the actual crossover work. My questions are:

Does it work (well enough) to use DIRAC on one system and another for the PEQ, FIR filters, Xover, etc.? Or is it too much of a faff in actual use? I am thinking about this signal path:

Flex as source > DIRAC applied > AES/EBU out > in Okto Dac8Pro > out over USB to CamillaDSP RPi > in over USB back to Okto > Okto analog out to amps
I believe, but please get it confirmed by someone else, that you can do it a bit simpler with the same devices:
Flex with Dirac as source > USB > rpi with camilladsp > USB > DAC
I am doing something similar with a minidsp 2x4 hd, but I think it works the same with the flex

levimax

Major Contributor

You might want to consider a PC which has considerably more power than any MiniDSP. You could do all your crossovers and room EQ with DIRAC with the PC and just out to Okto DAC and you are done. Not to mention PC is great as a source, and storage, and much more.

Top Bottom