• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really surprised by the price. It's only $30 more expensive than the Balacned Flex 2x4 but importers like audiophonics sell it for 350€ more than the 2x4 Flex

1661617342751.png

Piere

Note, price on the MiniDSP site is without VAT, duties and shipment. But it is still a remarkable difference.

juliangst

Note, price on the MiniDSP site is without VAT, duties and shipment. But it is still a remarkable difference.
That’s why I compared it to the other imported MiniDSP.

Balanced Flex 570 USD on minidsp —> 750€ on Audiophonics with VAT
8 channel Flex 600 USD on minidsp —> 1100€ on Audiophonics with VAT

An 8 channel Topping DM7 and a raspberry Pi with camillaDSP are like 500€ less. I just wish we had another company like minidsp that makes easy to use, affordable and well measuring DSPs

MCH

Major Contributor
The original price of the balanced flex at Audiophonics was 899 euros.
Apparently they explained that with minidsp they don't get dealer discount with the first deliveries of a new product and that they would decrease the price when they do. And that indeed happened after a few months.
I would expect the same will happen with the new flex eight, but I don't know, maybe you can just ask them, they are members here @Audiophonics

juliangst

Apparently they explained that with minidsp they don't get dealer discount with the first deliveries of a new product and that they would decrease the price when they do. And that indeed happened after a few months.
I would expect the same will happen with the new flex eight, but I don't know, maybe you can just ask them, they are members here @Audiophonics
That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Reactions: MCH

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was never intended to do x-over with FIR filters. And personally I don't see why you should do, apart from the experiment. Experimented in the past with it on the PC with BruteFIR and a VST convolver. Nice to restore old shellac records but for x-over not the Holy Grail.
It should be adequate for a 2 way speaker XO provided the bass isn't to messed up to begin with. Not sure why you found FIR based XO lacking, plenty of us would do it no other way for soooooo many reasons.

Piere

It should be adequate for a 2 way speaker XO provided the bass isn't to messed up to begin with. Not sure why you found FIR based XO lacking, plenty of us would do it no other way for soooooo many reasons.

Sorry, I never said FIR is lacking. Please do not manipulate my words. IMO it isn't simply worth the effort. X-overs are always a compromise and what is the best compromise is a never ending discussion, not free of personal opinions.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No offense meant, just clarifying for people for people that it is possible with this unit and fairly easy to implement if you know what to do or do a little research and ask questions. Happy for you that your personal opinion differs and you've found another path to audio bliss.

Audiophonics

Dealer
You have explained it perfectly.

This is exactly what is happening with the EIGHT.

TabCam

I asked MiniDSP a follow-up question about the possibility of a balanced version of Flex Eight (similar to the versions available for the Flex which has unbalanced, balanced-TRS, and digital versions). They said there is not enough room on the unit for 8 TRS connectors, so no. Looking at the Flex Eight's back-panel, there is no way 8 TRS outputs will fit, so any balanced option will need breakout connectors rather than TRS or XLR. I asked a follow-up question if a balanced with Phoenix breakout connectors would be a possibility. Here is the response:

As always, MiniDSP is open to feedback and provides meaningful responses (some of the many reasons I like the company)! They are hearing customer requests for balanced. I recommend for those who want balanced option, email their support with a kind note.
I think they need two 8 channel DAC chips in order to make it balanced. That is why I do not expect a flex 8 balanced in the foreseeable future.

btw, I got it very quickly delivered for my active crossover. I used a miniDSP Studio SHD before but needed at least three channels due to a switch from two to three drivers. A pity it doesn't have rca input, that would make it a real one box solution.

markofjohson

Re no analog input on Flex8... can one get an inexpensive RCA-SPDIF ADC box to turn the digital in to analog in? (I ask as I never used SPDIF.) Thanks.

TabCam

Re no analog input on Flex8... can one get an inexpensive RCA-SPDIF ADC box to turn the digital in to analog in? (I ask as I never used SPDIF.) Thanks.
Yes, but I have not found a very good one yet. The MiniDSP one on the regular Flex seems very good so it is a pity!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Anyone received their flex eight yet?
Any measurements or setup to share?
I'm really curious what people's real world applications are.

Last edited:

mlee

Anyone received there flex eight yet?
Had mine for about a week. Had a few firmware bugs but they were fixed right away. Everything seems good now. Works as advertised. No measurements but seems like a good unit. I'm using them to run a 3-way open baffle line array. Seems like good value.

TabCam

Anyone received there flex eight yet?
I have received it. I use it for a three way open baffle and it replaced a MiniDSP SHD Studio, an analog crossover that was noisy and two Topping dacs. l have only done complete system measurements and they look better than before as I now can adjust slopes per unit and far sharper than I could with the analog crossover.

In combination sounds better that the devices that were replaced and I the only thing I saw was slightly elevated levels of distortion but that is probably a measurement volume level effect caused by in room noise and that decreases if the the relative noise level decreases wfith higher volume.

Draki

That is the base Flex, not the Flex 8. Although I assume they are using the same base DSP board on the Flex 8 with an ES9080 DAC board.

Michael
As per @dreite (a very knowledgeable member at MiniDSP forum) it actually uses two ES9080 chips. Some paralleling is done, hence the high SNR.

Top Bottom