• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

D

Deleted member 4708

Given the horrible customer support from miniDSP - thanks but no thanks. My SHD has been shipped with a defect Ethernet. Volumio's integration with Qobuz is problematic at best. It randomly skips tracks in the middle of the music. Perfect signal on WiFi with the extender inches next to the SHD.

TabCam

Given the horrible customer support from miniDSP - thanks but no thanks. My SHD has been shipped with a defect Ethernet. Volumio's integration with Qobuz is problematic at best. It randomly skips tracks in the middle of the music. Perfect signal on WiFi with the extender inches next to the SHD.
You complain about the customer support here too but markofjohnson reveived very nice customer support. You also stated that you waited too long so you cannot return it. If it is the network connection, you should not be able to play anything. Instead you have connection issues with intermittent skips. I know it is frustrating but keep calm, patient and persistent with customer support. They get a lot of flak while there are also a lot of user error support questions. My advise is to work through their diagnostic plan to get to the point you can send it back.

Or buy a separate streamer, a Raspberry Pi will do very well with a digital output HAT

D

Deleted member 4708

You complain about the customer support here too but markofjohnson reveived very nice customer support. You also stated that you waited too long so you cannot return it. If it is the network connection, you should not be able to play anything. Instead you have connection issues with intermittent skips. I know it is frustrating but keep calm, patient and persistent with customer support. They get a lot of flak while there are also a lot of user error support questions. My advise is to work through their diagnostic plan to get to the point you can send it back.

Or buy a separate streamer, a Raspberry Pi will do very well with a digital output HAT

I spent hours trying to get the Ethernet working - it does not even light up the status led. More than dozen emails, etc. I am in process on setting up HTPC + MOTU 8A + Dirac Processor to replace miniDSP SHD.

MAB

Major Contributor
Anyone received their flex eight yet?
Any measurements or setup to share?
I'm really curious what people's real world applications are.
I got a Flex Eight, built an active speaker, and did some measurements on the speaker.
I didn't discuss the Flex Eight much in the thread, perhaps because it worked so smoothly. I like the Flex Eight, it has worked flawlessly so far. And I like new GUI. I didn't take any performance measurements on it yet, just measurements of the speakers. I have an audio analyzer setup and may do some basic s/n and distortion measurements, but I don't anticipate it will be much different than the excellent-measuring Flex Balanced.

I've had a number of miniDSP devices and enjoy using an SHD on a daily basis. So far the Flex Eight has been super.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wondering if anyone can help me here with FIR on the miniDSP flex eight - I'm new to FIR and RePhase.

Are these the correct settings I should use for a 2.4khz LR24 xover phase linearization?

fir settings minidsp flex eight.jpg

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep - thanks. Just experimenting with the midbass to high crossover linearisation. Not going to bother with the sub to midbass XO correction at ~80hz, my understanding is I'd need some more FIR power than what the Flex is packing.

Kaameelis

Probably yes. Most reasonable way of implementing long FIR filters (more than 100k taps is not problem) is PC with dedicated software.
I have used Equalizer APO, for low frequency correction in 20 Hz range with 100k taps, what means about 1,6 seconds delay in processing. But it have still some dB error in low frequencies.

Last edited:

Elgrosso

I first waited for the balanced version but it seems it will never happen.
Then I patiently watched the first users battle the beta bugs, and it is now good enough so I got one.
To replace 2 shds in a 2x4 way.
Works perfectly, I was honestly a little worried about the sound compared to the SHD, plus I had to transfer everything from XLR to RCA.
But no it's all good, it sounds great, and so far I like the new UI.
And the fact that I only have to deal with one dsp is so helpful, was always a burden to tune one side then the other.
Great device minidsp, now I need a 2x10 to get rid of the front shd studio.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I first waited for the balanced version but it seems it will never happen.
Then I patiently watched the first users battle the beta bugs, and it is now good enough so I got one.
To replace 2 shds in a 2x4 way.
Works perfectly, I was honestly a little worried about the sound compared to the SHD, plus I had to transfer everything from XLR to RCA.
But no it's all good, it sounds great, and so far I like the new UI.
And the fact that I only have to deal with one dsp is so helpful, was always a burden to tune one side then the other.
Great device minidsp, now I need a 2x10 to get rid of the front shd studio.
That are a lot of minidsp's. Now you make me curious what you need so many for?

Btw great to hear it sounds good using rca. I will order a flex eight next week.

SDC

This with topping makes perfect no noise system for compression drivers. little clicks when playing bluetooth is bit annoying but still good for all thats packed in!

Elgrosso

That are a lot of minidsp's. Now you make me curious what you need so many for?

Btw great to hear it sounds good using rca. I will order a flex eight next week.
Well it didn't start like that right away.
Now I need 10 channels but I started with 2 way so 1 shd, then 3 way with passive crossover, then +2 active subs with an added shd studio in front for a while.
Got good results with the passive filters since they're adjustable (focal crossblock).
But I rebuilt the system when I moved, and different drivers asked for more correction, so I added another shd.
I was about to try ddrc88+okto, but it was in my case easier to just add one than to replace everything.

So the studio was driving 1 shd dedicated per side for a year.
It was clean this way, and the presets were almost identical so easier to manage in the plugin (but I save you all the user errors with two computers, all these presets to manage and the volume check for rew sweeps :p).
Barely using Dirac now but I still need the studio for the subs, a 2x10 would be great and simpler, but I won't wait for it.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Well it didn't start like that right away.
Now I need 10 channels but I started with 2 way so 1 shd, then 3 way with passive crossover, then +2 active subs with an added shd studio in front for a while.
Got good results with the passive filters since they're adjustable (focal crossblock).
But I rebuilt the system when I moved, and different drivers asked for more correction, so I added another shd.
I was about to try ddrc88+okto, but it was in my case easier to just add one than to replace everything.

So the studio was driving 1 shd dedicated per side for a year.
It was clean this way, and the presets were almost identical so easier to manage in the plugin (but I save you all the user errors with two computers, all these presets to manage and the volume check for rew sweeps :p).
Barely using Dirac now but I still need the studio for the subs, a 2x10 would be great and simpler, but I won't wait for it.
There is an alpine 16 channel processor with S/N above 100db

Elgrosso

Interesting this PXE-X09! Would probably have tried it in my caraudio days.
I feel more confident with the mini in home, plus the UI is a big part of my choice.

Elgrosso

Ha the Zapco is finally out! I remember the talkings about the launch few years ago.
Both interesting options, but mini for me any day, just ‘cause I know how to work with them.

Kaameelis

How many PEQ-s and filters you can define on all channels together before Minidsp Flex Eight DSP will be overloaded?

TheLastGerman

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice to have balanced option for up to 4V.
If they would put it up to DSD and with an aditional analog input it would be the ultimate.
I don't care about the balanced or the DSD but I need a good quality ADC between my pre-out 2 and it so I can run my analog into it.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Use an 8-12 Dirac if you want that… it has everything but the usb in and volume control… but why would you want an analogue in when you have a competent dac at the end of the chain in the flex? You’re just adding more noise over a digital source? Maybe vinyl… but that’s a tiny percentage of users…
I have Reel to Reel, high end metal cassette's (yes, it can do 20 HZ to 20 KHz [& beyond] but definitely needs some digital EQ), FM (20 Hz to 17 KHz [I can no longer hear above that anyway]) & TT's (and, yes, my plan for next year is to digitize what I have on all my formats and put them on a SSD NAS for local streaming).

Top Bottom