• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I got the memo. Very interesting product.

Sieniek

Guys, is this better than Motu Ultralite MK5 or worse ? What are the differences ?
What do you want to do with it? Very different products although they can be used to achieve similar things.

Ultralite Mk5
-10 channel analog balanced output
-ADAT/TOSLINK and SPDIF input AND output
-8 channel analog input
-no IR volume control
-limited built in DSP so needs to be connected to a computer to implement software DSP

Flex Eight
-8 channel analog unbalanced outputs
-no analog input
-no digital output
-IR volume control
-built in DSP

For active speaker applications assuming you are OK with unbalanced output a Flex Eight based system is likely better as it will be cheaper and easier to use. You can get similar functionality out of an Ultralite Mk5 but that requires additional gear (RPi + display + IR receiver) at which point it will cost more and it is much more difficult to setup.

Michael
Thanks for your reply Michael.

I have a plan to make use of my three way active stereo OB speakers (6 outputs together) for stereo listening but at the same time I would like to be able to add to it left rear channel, right rear channel, center channel and a subwoofer for some 5.1 HT.

Also I can see Flex Eight is 48khz with DL yes ?
At the moment I still have my SHD which is 96khz.
Only technicals but is it really matter or can be heard ?

If only Motu Ultralite MK5 would have Dirac Live build in it would be perfect for me as I would use of DL with every audio/video equipment. I have multichannel DL windows so I could use it only from pc or laptop which is good but not perfect as playing on my PS5 would be unfortunately without DL processing. Same with TV, etc.

I was hoping for Minidsp releasing a perfect multichannel dac with DL included, DL Bass Control, 8 or best 10 outputs, 24/96 DL output and possibility of setting outputs for 5.1 HT but it looks like they are releasing "very good" product but not great as it's still missing on many areas.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Looks like there won't be a balanced one.

OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I note in the “From the Lab” section of this morning’s email from Minidsp the following…

“We feel the Flex Eight rounds out the Flex family nicely, and most of our engineering team is already busy on a brand new platform that is taking shape back in the Lab. We're always pushing to innovate in our niche and are very excited about this new work that we believe will be breaking through a few barriers! We hope we'll have more to say in the next newsletter.”

Says nothing while raising expectations for novelty at the same time… but a promised ‘Brand new platform’ is on the way … maybe many things on this thread’s wish list are coming soon?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

MAB

Major Contributor
I note in the “From the Lab” section of this morning’s email from Minidsp the following…

“We feel the Flex Eight rounds out the Flex family nicely, and most of our engineering team is already busy on a brand new platform that is taking shape back in the Lab. We're always pushing to innovate in our niche and are very excited about this new work that we believe will be breaking through a few barriers! We hope we'll have more to say in the next newsletter.”

Says nothing while raising expectations for novelty at the same time… but a promised ‘Brand new platform’ is on the way … maybe many things on this thread’s wish list are coming soon?
I'm doin' everything I can to assemble all of the wish list inputs. This is what I got:
1660333513378.png

I'm sure I missed a critical feature!

Reed

If this had eARC HDMI I would buy it immediately. I could to optical but then I have the two remote issue. In any case, it’s a great product.

Krillin

This is a great product that will sell for those wanting a stereo or a 2.1 setup. The included DAC looks like it measures well enough. The Active speakers option is a real plus.

For those like myself wanting multichannel I'm hoping for another version.

Wants:
Multichannel input
Balanced outputs - Many of the newer class D amplifiers only have balanced in. And an adapter won't fix the voltage mismatch
Dirac Live with Bass Control
HDMI ARC in addition to USB and optical audio

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought sensible, useful audio products were supposed to cost more. This 8-channel controller with multiple digital inputs and powerful DSP with major UI improvements costs $600. Or you can get an 8 channel DAC with one type of input that for the same price. So, SINAD champ or super flexible controller that is more likely than not going to be transparent enough?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking forward to trying their new universal plugin. It certainly looks sharp!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USB 16-Ch ASIO input (by one or two USB 2.0 cable from PC) and 16-Ch balanced analog out should be just enough for me. Therefore, my simple wish for 16-Ch Sync Pro DAC, (OKTO?) DAC16PRO(?) with two (or three?) of ES9028PRO or ES9038PRO (or new AKM DAC chips?) in it; 8-Ch AES/EBU stereo inputs would be welcome for future possible use, and for those who in pro field...
WS003999.JPG

Of course, the dedicated ASIO driver in PC should recognize all of the 16-Ch of this gear; quite easy to be achieved, I believe.

I do hope Pavel of OKTO would look here.

Edit: I will continue this discussion on possible "DAC16PRO" in my post here and thereafter on the DAC8PRO thread.

Last edited:

zhechenzhu

I almost panicked after receiving the newsletter from miniDSP. Just placed an order for a MOTU MK5 after coming available again at my local dealer. Does look like a very nice device. However it's missing multiple inputs and mixing options. DAC is also "unproven". I think I‘ll push ahead with a MOTU + USB ADAT +RPi+CmillaDSP setup.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I see you are talking about balanced or not in the thread. But can't you help him aasearles? I feel sorry for him (or her) that he didn't get an answer. I pasted some links with general information but that doesn't answer the question itself:

Piere

This is a long awaited tool... finally! With 2 inputs and 8 outputs its main task will be active x-over + sub processing. Hooking several different amps to it makes differential signal routing almost mandatory. To get most out of it and avoid signal ground problems.

Top Bottom