• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

MCH

Major Contributor
I can? Which ones?
You also have the puffin modified for spdif out, the one of beiss and plenty of small boxes, some measured around.

I myself prefer to stream the signal, to avoid a long cable run. You can do it for very little money with very good results. You can find very easy instructions here:
Thread 'How to integrate your turntable/analog source in your streaming system - Step by step instructions for dummies' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-step-by-step-instructions-for-dummies.33528/

highender

Love it! I am going to sell my C-DSP 8x12 and switch to this Flex unit.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also i just realized there is a very high degree of manipulation possible with this new plugin. It might make upscaling shenanigans to 5.1 possible.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Plenty of used audio interfaces would also work at around $100. I purchased a MOTU Traveler for < $100 and although it is Firewire it is completely configurable from the front panel and has tons of I/O options including optical and coaxial SPDIF.

They don't have remote control to adjust volume when sitting 5 meters away.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't have remote control to adjust volume when sitting 5 meters away.

Why would you want a remote volume control on the ADC when you are feeding it to a DSP / DAC with volume control?

Maybe you missed that we were discussing how to add an analog input to this device for the purpose of playing vinyl?

Michael

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why would you want a remote volume control on the ADC when you are feeding it to a DSP / DAC with volume control?

Maybe you missed that we were discussing how to add an analog input to this device for the purpose of playing vinyl?

Michael

Oops I did miss it .

My bad - sorry

Sieniek

Guys, is this better than Motu Ultralite MK5 or worse ? What are the differences ?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, is this better than Motu Ultralite MK5 or worse ? What are the differences ?

What do you want to do with it? Very different products although they can be used to achieve similar things.

Ultralite Mk5
-10 channel analog balanced output
-ADAT/TOSLINK and SPDIF input AND output
-8 channel analog input
-no IR volume control
-limited built in DSP so needs to be connected to a computer to implement software DSP

Flex Eight
-8 channel analog unbalanced outputs
-no analog input
-no digital output
-IR volume control
-built in DSP

For active speaker applications assuming you are OK with unbalanced output a Flex Eight based system is likely better as it will be cheaper and easier to use. You can get similar functionality out of an Ultralite Mk5 but that requires additional gear (RPi + display + IR receiver) at which point it will cost more and it is much more difficult to setup.

Michael

mga2009

So it's confirmed the Flex Eight is a stereo device?

No love for HT users and nanoAVR widows?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do we know what dac chips uses?(if it does)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very impressive device indeed! But would be killer if those 8 outputs were balanced TRS.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MAB

Major Contributor
Seems that there is some confusing text in minidsp website description that indicates they might be releasing balanced and digital versions as with the previous flex:

Post in thread 'Suggestions for three-way crossover filters?' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...hree-way-crossover-filters.36416/post-1278680

Edit: hm, seems they have deleted the sentence from the description....
Yes, the text was confusing. I emailed them last night about the possibility that there would be a balanced option with TRS and another digital option with SPDIF/TOS (just like the 2-channel Flex). Here is the response from MiniDSP:
Unfortunately this Metadata is a typo that was carried over from the Flex series. The Flex Eight doesn't have a balanced option. I'm afraid that we can't share much of our roadmap as per our company policy but looking at the back panel, you can see that 8ch would be very tricky to fit.. :-(

Hoping this info helps and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Best Regards
miniDSP DevTeam
Seems a balanced option is not likely based on the message they sent.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems a balanced option is not likely based on the message they sent.
Who knows?!?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Yes, balanced version with Roon Ready"
Wow, this would sell a lot. :)

MAB

Major Contributor
Who knows?!?

I actually asked MinDSP, I think they know... If you read their response, they essentially said "there is no room for balanced connections".

Top Bottom