• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh - Does it ever fully turn off? Always standby?

dman777

I was looking at the McIntosh 12000. I noticed it does not have a power button on the unit. It only has a button called 'standy'. Does that mean the unit is never fully off in it's lifetime while it is plugged into the wall?

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It looks like it has a remote control. If you can turn it on from the remote it's not completely off because the remote receiver has to be active.

OP
D

dman777

dang.... so if I wanted to buy a used unit... it's most likely it was on 24/7 for the lifetime of the previous user? I mean it is standby so it's ultra low power, but it's still tech receiving current eating up lifetime hours.

EDIT: I also found this in the documentation

When the C12000 and other McIntosh Components are in their Standby Power Off Mode, the Microprocessor’s Circuitry inside each component is active and communication is occurring between them.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
dang.... so if I wanted to buy a used unit... it's most likely it was on 24/7 for the lifetime of the previous user? I mean it is standby so it's ultra low power, but it's still tech receiving current eating up lifetime hours.

Pretty much any electronics built in the last 20 years has vampire power draw. It's not just McIntosh. Even amps that have 12V trigger have standby power draw (e.g AHB2 is rated at 0.5W). nowadays, vampire power is pretty low, I think mostly due to EU regulations.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If one wants one's off to be off...
two words
switched outlet.
:cool:

waber_pm6sn1_6_outlet_surge_suppressor_power_strip.jpg

radix

Major Contributor
If one wants one's off to be off...
two words
switched outlet.
:cool:

I use an automatic power strip, with one monitored outlet that controls the power to other outlets. These work really well to automatically turn things on/off. The one I use is the Bits Limited LCG-3MVR.

71cPlAtQQXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

radix

Major Contributor

I guess the other thing to make clear is usually only a microprocessor and a few other parts are kept on all the time so they can respond to a 12V trigger or a remote. The main audio amplifier circuits are powered down. Standby will not degrade the audio section (I'm sure there's exceptions to this in some amps, but any good one I would think is completely off).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I use an automatic power strip, with one monitored outlet that controls the power to other outlets. These work really well to automatically turn things on/off. The one I use is the Bits Limited LCG-3MVR.

71cPlAtQQXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah but what about the power monitor itself- how much does it use? ;)

radix

Major Contributor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but what about the power monitor itself- how much does it use? ;)
My old Monster Power drew something crazy like 0.3A at idle. (117V). I connected it to a physical switch as a result.

D

Deleted member 48726

Well all appliances with the ability to be remotely turned on have standby power draw.

Top Bottom