• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Advice on How to Eliminate Low Level Hum from Transformer inside a CD Player

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

When the hum is gone you could perhaps make the mounting holes in the transformer bigger in diameter and put a soft rubber grommet in the holes and fix the transformer through the grommets.

Thanks. It sounds like a drill will be involved. Not sure if I feel comfortable doing that. Any damage will be permanent. Have to think about this one.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
First you need to know if it helps.

So unscrew the transformer from the chassis. Put some damping material under it. The lid back on (no need to screw that down) and have a listen.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

Hi,

Just read this and I don’t know if you solved it. I had a similar problem with a power amp and it was due to DC offset. Fixed it with a DC blocker.

You can read more about it here - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dc-blocker-to-help-stop-transformer-hum.948/
Thanks for the info. The problem is sort of resolved with thick damping material attached to the feet of the player. It absorbs most of the vibration and eliminates most of the hum. Not 100% but I am satisfied with the result.

Top Bottom