• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Advice on How to Eliminate Low Level Hum from Transformer inside a CD Player

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

I've checked the screws. They are quite tight. So, loose screws are not the cause here.

I took the player to another room and plugged it in. I then held it up and put my ear tight against the bottom panel to listen closely. I could hear a low level buzz right where the transformer is. However, it wasn't the loudest buzz. A louder buzz could be heard from the bottom of the CD drive in the middle, for some reasons. That confused me a little.

Is the buzz from the CD drive caused by the vibration of the transformer since everything is screwed down on the same bottom panel?

I tend not to believe the CD drive will vibrate on its own. Any ideas?
cd player.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any ideas?
Yes
Sony-BDP-S6700-4K-Upscaling-3D-Streaming-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-2016-Model
  • $118
  • Stream from 300+ apps and entertainment services
  • Upscale Blu-ray Disc movies, DVDs, and photos to near 4K quality
  • PlayStation Now: Stream and enjoy PlayStation 3 games instantly
  • Connect to Bluetooth headphones to enjoy wireless listening
  • Multi-room streaming with SongPal Link App
  • View smartphone content on your TV with Miracast screen mirroring technology
  • Enjoy fast, stable Wi-Fi even when streaming in HD
  • Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc playback with 2D to 3D conversion
  • Brighter, more lifelike picture with TRILUMINOS color technology
  • Easy access to apps and functions with a new and customizable User Interface
  • Control your device & browse content from a mobile device6 with TV SideView
  • Improved boot-up and loading times with super Quick Start
  • Enjoy music, photos and video via front USB slot
  • Experience HD sound with Dolby TrueHD and dts-Master Audio
  • Learn more about your movies with Gracenote
  • Energy Star 3.0 compliant

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I can't hear it when the music is on.
then really. If you don't want to spend money replacing it (and the other solutions don't help), just relax and forget about it. There is a slight hum from my amp (an avr). I'm lisntneing to music now and has no impact whatsoaver. None, Nill, Nada, Zilch.

I am failing to worry.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes
Sony-BDP-S6700-4K-Upscaling-3D-Streaming-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-2016-Model
  • $118
  • Stream from 300+ apps and entertainment services
  • Upscale Blu-ray Disc movies, DVDs, and photos to near 4K quality
  • PlayStation Now: Stream and enjoy PlayStation 3 games instantly
  • Connect to Bluetooth headphones to enjoy wireless listening
  • Multi-room streaming with SongPal Link App
  • View smartphone content on your TV with Miracast screen mirroring technology
  • Enjoy fast, stable Wi-Fi even when streaming in HD
  • Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc playback with 2D to 3D conversion
  • Brighter, more lifelike picture with TRILUMINOS color technology
  • Easy access to apps and functions with a new and customizable User Interface
  • Control your device & browse content from a mobile device6 with TV SideView
  • Improved boot-up and loading times with super Quick Start
  • Enjoy music, photos and video via front USB slot
  • Experience HD sound with Dolby TrueHD and dts-Master Audio
  • Learn more about your movies with Gracenote
  • Energy Star 3.0 compliant
I've got one of those....fwiw it doesn't play nice sometimes with some gear I've got (but found a good place in a system for it). My 5100s are more friendly.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got one of those....fwiw it doesn't play nice sometimes with some gear I've got (but found a good place in a system for it). My 5100s are more friendly.
My son says his is good. Sorry if you got the idea from me. Maybe too good to be true. :( I'm an Oppo guy.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My son says his is good. Sorry if you got the idea from me. Maybe too good to be true. :( I'm an Oppo guy.
It didn't play nice in my main system or my bedroom system, hdmi handshake issues....but I found a system it plays nice with....love my Oppo too.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

Much ado about nothing.
Not about nothing. It does bother me a lot. It was quiet when I first tested it and then it developed this hum suddenly. I can still hear it every time I turn it on.

I really want and need to eliminate it. Ignoring it is not an option to me as well.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

then really. If you don't want to spend money replacing it (and the other solutions don't help), just relax and forget about it. There is a slight hum from my amp (an avr). I'm lisntneing to music now and has no impact whatsoaver. None, Nill, Nada, Zilch.

I am failing to worry.
It's hard to really relax when I know there is a problem with it albeit a small one. I can't hear it when the music is on because the hum is not coming from the speakers, but it is there as soon as the music stops. I must find a solution that works for me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Open it up.
Remove the screws from the transformer base.
Lift the transformer a bit.
Put some thin foam rubber under it.
Put the lid back on (so it is closed) while not moving it. (the transformer is loose on the foam).
Plug it in and switch on.
Is the hum now at a more acceptable level ?

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

What kind of thin form rubber is that? Where can I find it? Can you post a link here?

Haflermichi

This is 1/16" thick.
You really only need enough for under each transformer mounting tab ie: about 1/2 in square under each pad=2 inches.
It can be thicker than this but pay attention to the length of the mounting bolts, they still will need to engage with the chassis.
Some hardware stores may have this type on a roll. Print this link out, take it to a store and ask.
Be resourceful. Tell them it's an experiment, you don't know if it will work yada yada yada etc.
They may just give you 2 inches to get you out of their hair...
Use a hand held paper hole punch to make nice tidy holes in the center of each pad.
Report back.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

This is 1/16" thick.
You really only need enough for under each transformer mounting tab ie: about 1/2 in square under each pad=2 inches.
It can be thicker than this but pay attention to the length of the mounting bolts, they still will need to engage with the chassis.
Some hardware stores may have this type on a roll. Print this link out, take it to a store and ask.
Be resourceful. Tell them it's an experiment, you don't know if it will work yada yada yada etc.
They may just give you 2 inches to get you out of their hair...
Use a hand held paper hole punch to make nice tidy holes in the center of each pad.
Report back.
Perfect. Thanks. Appreciate it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What kind of thin form rubber is that? Where can I find it? Can you post a link here?
It is just as an experiment to mechanically decouple the transformer from the chassis.
Just to see if the audible hum is caused by mechanical coupling of the transformer to the chassis.
You can't leave it that way.
Any 'sound damping' material can be used for that experiment.

OP
Wooferhead

Wooferhead

It is just as an experiment to mechanically decouple the transformer from the chassis.
Just to see if the audible hum is caused by mechanical coupling of the transformer to the chassis.
You can't leave it that way.
Any 'sound damping' material can be used for that experiment.
So what should I do next if this experiment proves that the hum is indeed caused by mechanical coupling of the transformer to the chassis?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the hum is gone you could perhaps make the mounting holes in the transformer bigger in diameter and put a soft rubber grommet in the holes and fix the transformer through the grommets.

Top Bottom