• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

somy

That’s a bummer. I was waiting for its release but as a non-Roon subscriber whose main source is Tidal and MQA, it’s a no go. Dont have ethernet hard wire so I am relying on wifi. Have Google Fiber which is excellent. Element i doesnt support MQA... might settle with Element i and software decoding of MQA.
Why not element M? It supports mqa and has internal linear power supply

somy

@MatrixAudio
We have both element X and I tested here, would be nice to Send element M for test as well. I too would be interested in the sq diff between m and i.
Also a question: can element i perform 1st unfold of mqa?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio
We have both element X and I tested here, would be nice to Send element M for test as well. I too would be interested in the sq diff between m and i.
Also a question: can element i perform 1st unfold of mqa?
No, the element i do nothing with MQA.
Actually the review and measurements here proved the authenticity of the specs we announced in our website. It no need to send every models to Amir to test. He is so busy especially when he involved in measuring speakers.
The specs of these models were tested with our older AP analyser, recently, we got our new APX555B as well. The future spec will be measured by the new analyser.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

will Spotify connect also be added to element series? In particular Element M, thanks
I just purchased the Element i and have been in contact with Matrix as well as the dealer. Spotify connect is in the plan for the future (on all Element series units), as well as a dedicated streamer. As it is you can connect very easily with AirPlay.

somy

I just purchased the Element i and have been in contact with Matrix as well as the dealer. Spotify connect is in the plan for the future (on all Element series units), as well as a dedicated streamer. As it is you can connect very easily with AirPlay.
Ok, thanks! Also wish they can upgrade to airplay2

sonusfaberx

unfortunately no. AirPlay 2 need a dedicated chip from Apple, but there is no such chip in current element series models.

Do you have an ETA on when Spotify Connect will be available for the Element i? Our local dealer is giving me a good deal on these and being mostly a Tidal/Spotify user, still researching if I will pull the trigger on this streamer/dac.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
What would be really fantastic is Chromecast Audio built-in. Then everyone could stream Tidal, Qobuz, etc using the native apps. Any plans for that?

Last edited:

sonusfaberx

Hopefully within this year. but I'm not sure.

Thank you, are there also plans in integrating other streaming services like Deezer? I am starting to lose interest in MQA after learning more of it here in ASR, so the Element i will be perfect for my needs.

What would be really fantastic is Chromecast Audio built-in. Then everyone could stream Tidal, Qobuz, etc using the native apps. Any plans for that?

I agree, this will be a really nice feature that will sell more MAs! :)

Update: Already placed my order, but chose to upgrade to the Element M.

Last edited:

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Thank you, are there also plans in integrating other streaming services like Deezer? I am starting to lose interest in MQA after learning more of it here in ASR, so the Element i will be perfect for my needs.
Update: Already placed my order, but chose to upgrade to the Element M.
Yes, Deezer is in our schedule, but we have not started to integrate Deezer yet.

sonusfaberx

Got my Element M yesterday. My subjective impressions are: It’s eerily silent background presentation is pretty amazing. Paired it up with a Rega ElexR amplifier and a Dynaudio Evoke 10.

I tried to seriously listen to MQA classical music in Tidal for the first time since it’s already late night and I don’t want to wake up the wife or the kids, and I found the Element M seriously engaging. Time flew by and didn’t notice that it had been 4 hours since I first started listening. The highs are very airy, where it created a relaxing ambience while I am just browsing on the net lazily.

Regarding the app, I am not sure if it’s a bug but there are times that Tidal does not seem to be responsive when switching to different tracks or it randomly can’t play music. I installed the app on both iOS and Android. I restarted the Element M and the app but no avail. I initially thought maybe Tidal was down but I can play Tidal using my phone using the Tidal app itself. Luckily, I discovered that I can play Spotify via Airplay and it removes my need to have Spotify Connect(well except if I am using my Android phone). Have not tried Roon, I like that Matrix Audio partnered with them and gives me a free 2 month trial to use this service.

Will post my impressions more as soon as I get to spend more time with the Element M.

Top Bottom