• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

Lobo_M

Hi, I'm looking for upgrade from Rpi2+Allo Boss. Right now I'm using Spotify, Volumio on RPi3 support Spotify with "Spotify client" so I can easiely control it from iphone/iPad. Does MA Element support Spotify? I'll move to Tidal HiFi but my wife and kids will stay with Spotify.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi, I'm looking for upgrade from Rpi2+Allo Boss. Right now I'm using Spotify, Volumio on RPi3 support Spotify with "Spotify client" so I can easiely control it from iphone/iPad. Does MA Element support Spotify? I'll move to Tidal HiFi but my wife and kids will stay with Spotify.
Hello Lobo_M
Matrix is implementing spotify connect in element series products, hopefully it will finish within this year. Thank you!

Lobo_M

I listen only streming music Tidal/Spotify and wondering if in this case choose Matrix Element I, or build system base on Allo USB Bridge Signature + sepatare DAC. If so do you have any proposal? DAC SQ level in Topping D70/D90 can be compare to Matrix Element I?

Lobo_M

@MatrixAudio Element I is a lider on my DAC list again. One thing what I would need is BT, I see that it is not implemented bvut is it possible to use USB stick with BT? Will it work? How you suggest to solve it?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio Element I is a lider on my DAC list again. One thing what I would need is BT, I see that it is not implemented bvut is it possible to use USB stick with BT? Will it work? How you suggest to solve it?
In this case, I suggest you wait some more days, you would see something new from Matrix which have bluetooth connection. :p:p:p

Tks

Major Contributor

Got hyped for a second, then lukewarm. Don't know why pentacon, half the allure of balanced is using nice, sturdy instant-total contact XLR pins. What's up with the WiFi antenna? The look, ehhhhh, maybe it's the photo's but definitely not doing it any favors. The Element i was a pretty big design shift, didn't think they would try a hybrid of that + their superior prior designs (the Sabre-X is pretty much my favorite build quality of almost any device I've seen that isn't gaudy nonsense, that aluminum unibody CNC'd from a a full block is just unbelievable).

Positives? Finally USB-C inputs slowly coming. Ridiculous how many audio companies saying "it's not needed". Know what else isn't needed, needing to find a printer cable, though I do admit those are more sturdier. Internal power supply is great to see as well. 5Ghz WiFi (2.4 is saturated as shit here in New York apartments, just terrible).

I was really hoping thought Matrix would have started DSP feature sets by now. Maybe in the future? At this price point, they can challenge RME properly if they did just that (the RME lacks streaming, lacks bluetooth input, lacks balanced headphone-out). So it's a tossup really. But this device also competes with the Element i which is cleaner looking by far in my opinion.

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Got hyped for a second, then lukewarm. Don't know why pentacon, half the allure of balanced is using nice, sturdy instant-total contact XLR pins. What's up with the WiFi antenna? The look, ehhhhh, maybe it's the photo's but definitely not doing it any favors. The Element i was a pretty big design shift, didn't think they would try a hybrid of that + their superior prior designs (the Sabre-X is pretty much my favorite build quality of almost any device I've seen that isn't gaudy nonsense, that aluminum unibody CNC'd from a a full block is just unbelievable).

Positives? Finally USB-C inputs slowly coming. Ridiculous how many audio companies saying "it's not needed". Know what else isn't needed, needing to find a printer cable, though I do admit those are more sturdier. Internal power supply is great to see as well. 5Ghz WiFi (2.4 is saturated as shit here in New York apartments, just terrible).

I was really hoping thought Matrix would have started DSP feature sets by now. Maybe in the future? At this price point, they can challenge RME properly if they did just that (the RME lacks streaming, lacks bluetooth input, lacks balanced headphone-out). So it's a tossup really. But this device also competes with the Element i which is cleaner looking by far in my opinion.

Aluminum unibody plus DSP features in a X Sabre Pro streamer companion -- yes please.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
next time do it faster;-)

Tidal/Spotify implemented? MA remote?
Is 9038q2m a little downgrade to 9028pro in Element I?
It seems that you have seen the specs. Here is the full introductions.
https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html
You should compare 9038q2m with the dac chip which Mini-i Pro 2S is using, 9026PRO.
From the measurementsof SNR and THD+N, the Mini-i Pro 3 (or Mini-i 3) is not lower than Mini-i Pro 2S. It's not fair to compare mini-i Pro 3 with element series products.
The Mini-i Pro 3 cannot playback and manage music in local strage devices, so it do not need MA Remote app. So you cannot login Tidal and Qobuz in the app and stream the music to Mini-i Pro 3. But you can install the native app of Tidal or Qobuz and send the music to Mini-i Pro 3 over AirPlay or Bluetooth.
We are working on Spotify Connect, hopefully we can finish the integration within this year.
By the way, Mini-i Pro 3 is Roon Ready.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The Mini-i Pro 3 cannot playback and manage music in local strage devices, so it do not need MA Remote app. So you cannot login Tidal and Qobuz in the app and stream the music to Mini-i Pro 3. But you can install the native app of Tidal or Qobuz and send the music to Mini-i Pro 3 over AirPlay or Bluetooth.
We are working on Spotify Connect, hopefully we can finish the integration within this year.
By the way, Mini-i Pro 3 is Roon Ready.

What we really want is Chromecast Audio built in for Tidal and Qobuz

Lobo_M

@MatrixAudio this I canot understand, that you produce almost the best implementation of ESS DAC, but software is far behing... for what the best soft and spec when music I must sent to dac via BT? spotify connect or tidal mconnect is nothing new, please cache the trend

Top Bottom