• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

somy

Got my Element M yesterday. My subjective impressions are: It’s eerily silent background presentation is pretty amazing. Paired it up with a Rega ElexR amplifier and a Dynaudio Evoke 10.

I tried to seriously listen to MQA classical music in Tidal for the first time since it’s already late night and I don’t want to wake up the wife or the kids, and I found the Element M seriously engaging. Time flew by and didn’t notice that it had been 4 hours since I first started listening. The highs are very airy, where it created a relaxing ambience while I am just browsing on the net lazily.

Regarding the app, I am not sure if it’s a bug but there are times that Tidal does not seem to be responsive when switching to different tracks or it randomly can’t play music. I installed the app on both iOS and Android. I restarted the Element M and the app but no avail. I initially thought maybe Tidal was down but I can play Tidal using my phone using the Tidal app itself. Luckily, I discovered that I can play Spotify via Airplay and it removes my need to have Spotify Connect(well except if I am using my Android phone). Have not tried Roon, I like that Matrix Audio partnered with them and gives me a free 2 month trial to use this service.

Will post my impressions more as soon as I get to spend more time with the Element M.
Hi, thanks! Please keep us posted on the app issue. One question: if you add an album\track to favourite, does it sync with Tidal so you see the album/track also added in Tidal’s app?

sonusfaberx

Hi, thanks! Please keep us posted on the app issue. One question: if you add an album\track to favourite, does it sync with Tidal so you see the album/track also added in Tidal’s app?
Yes, I can add a track and create a playlist using the MA Remote app.

sonusfaberx

Hi thanks, do you have both element m and I? Did you experience the issue with ma remote as @sonusfaberx ? Sq wise is I as goof as m? Thanks

Only got the Element M, but was able to listen to the i, and it is a very capable performer. Spec-wise, the M is just 2dbs better in SINAD than the i, so I doubt if you are really going to notice much of a difference. I just got the M for future-proofing. Maybe MQA will improve someday?

Regarding the remote, I did. 2x in my 14 hour listening session I wasnt able to play music using the app. I kinda found a workaround though by switching to a different source, Tidal/Network to Spotify/Airplay and back to Tidal again. Not sure maybe it's a cache issue with the App?

somy

Only got the Element M, but was able to listen to the i, and it is a very capable performer. Spec-wise, the M is just 2dbs better in SINAD than the i, so I doubt if you are really going to notice much of a difference. I just got the M for future-proofing. Maybe MQA will improve someday?

Regarding the remote, I did. 2x in my 14 hour listening session I wasnt able to play music using the app. I kinda found a workaround though by switching to a different source, Tidal/Network to Spotify/Airplay and back to Tidal again. Not sure maybe it's a cache issue with the App?
Thanks! I’m just about to pull the trigger to get M. I think M also has quad core cpu, linear power supply and better shell construction than I. Given so many debates on mqa I’m not considering it is a must, but I use tidal a lot so it could add value in the future.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi thanks, do you have both element m and I? Did you experience the issue with ma remote as @sonusfaberx ? Sq wise is I as goof as m? Thanks
yes, i have both i and m..
i have not used the remote much so far no problem with the remote except out of the box not pairing with the element
Sq wise i cannot compare since they are for two different systems and without swaping out, i can not provide any help here. But my subjetive opinion is i doubt there would be any noticeable difference in the sound under most cases. I would say, if you dont need the additional features, the m is not worth the extra cash.

somy

yes, i have both i and m..
i have not used the remote much so far no problem with the remote except out of the box not pairing with the element
Sq wise i cannot compare since they are for two different systems and without swaping out, i can not provide any help here. But my subjetive opinion is i doubt there would be any noticeable difference in the sound under most cases. I would say, if you dont need the additional features, the m is not worth the extra cash.
Thanks!

sonusfaberx

Just a few things I learned with MQA. Apparently, it cannot be passed through Optical or Coaxial, only via USB. Threads from other manufacturers appears to confirm this too.

So far, the only other bug I got from the MA Remote App is while playing a song in Tidal and I change the filter, it stops the song and Tidal is unplayable. I had to again reswitch sources(airplay or optical), play music from that source and go back to Tidal to make it work again. I am planning to subscribe to Qobuz to see if the app integration is better there. Will keep this thread posted.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a few things I learned with MQA. Apparently, it cannot be passed through Optical or Coaxial, only via USB. Threads from other manufacturers appears to confirm this too.

So far, the only other bug I got from the MA Remote App is while playing a song in Tidal and I change the filter, it stops the song and Tidal is unplayable. I had to again reswitch sources(airplay or optical), play music from that source and go back to Tidal to make it work again. I am planning to subscribe to Qobuz to see if the app integration is better there. Will keep this thread posted.
From what i understand Qobuzz upport is not yet ready

sonusfaberx

From what i understand Qobuzz upport is not yet ready
Qobuz is part of the options in the MA Remote app, anyway a 1 month subscription won't hurt just to test it out. I saw though that Matrix Audio is trying to integrate Internet Radio too, looking forward for that update.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Qobuz is part of the options in the MA Remote app, anyway a 1 month subscription won't hurt just to test it out. I saw though that Matrix Audio is trying to integrate Internet Radio too, looking forward for that update.
Didnt know that since i don't use the remote app. The last post from MA stated they were not done integrating yet. Please post your thoughts after you have given it a go.
Thanks

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had the Element i for several weeks and love it, enough that I ordered two more Element models (from Power Holdings, great service). I don't use the physical remote but for a while (pre Roon) I used the MA app on my iPhone and it was buggy but not a deal breaker. It often told me my phone was not connected to the network (it was) and would occasionally ask what language I preferred. So it has a sense of humor at least. I just started Roon and it appears that I can control things much better through that program. Starting to see why Roon is so popular, even tho I have no library of stored music, stream only.
PS- listen to Qobuz exclusively, no problems

sonusfaberx

I've had the Element i for several weeks and love it, enough that I ordered two more Element models (from Power Holdings, great service). I don't use the physical remote but for a while (pre Roon) I used the MA app on my iPhone and it was buggy but not a deal breaker. It often told me my phone was not connected to the network (it was) and would occasionally ask what language I preferred. So it has a sense of humor at least. I just started Roon and it appears that I can control things much better through that program. Starting to see why Roon is so popular, even tho I have no library of stored music, stream only.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the MA Remote. As much as possible, I wouldnt like to use Roon even if we get a free 2 month trial, I don't like the added cost on a simple functionality like this. Still trying to be patient with this and have emailed Matrix Audio Technical Support over the weekend. I hope I get a reply soon.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the MA Remote. As much as possible, I wouldnt like to use Roon even if we get a free 2 month trial, I don't like the added cost on a simple functionality like this. Still trying to be patient with this and have emailed Matrix Audio Technical Support over the weekend. I hope I get a reply soon.
In my emails to support they have been reasonably quick to respond. Whatever you do, if you are looking for help, DO NOT post to their forums. Nothing but crickets.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Starting to see why Roon is so popular, even tho I have no library of stored music, stream only.

I'm in the same boat, with a very limited collection of digital music, but once I gave Roon a try I was completely hooked.

It is very capable, very slick, and works perfectly for what I need. I got the lifetime subscription without thinking too much about it. The price has gone up since, but it's still a great deal in my mind. The lifetime subscription funding model is a very expensive one in any long run, so I expect it will disappear completely sooner than later.

I just think of it as another component to be used however it makes the most sense. I have spent much more on things I use much less...

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm in the same boat, with a very limited collection of digital music, but once I gave Roon a try I was completely hooked.

It is very capable, very slick, and works perfectly for what I need. I got the lifetime subscription without thinking too much about it. The price has gone up since, but it's still a great deal in my mind. The lifetime subscription funding model is a very expensive one in any long run, so I expect it will disappear completely sooner than later.

I just think of it as another component to be used however it makes the most sense. I have spent much more on things I use much less...
Yes, hard to explain Roon until you've used and actually seen all the aspects of it, and I haven't even tried the EQ feature. Have you purchased the Nucleus? I'm tempted, mostly because I really enjoy the program but I also don't like to leave my desktop PC on all the time to host the Core.

somy

Sorry for my bad English.
We are now working on Spotify Connect on mini-i 3 and mini-i Pro 3, we will also do it with element series products once we finished integration in mini-i series.
Thanks, any chance to look into tunein support for element series?

sonusfaberx

In my emails to support they have been reasonably quick to respond. Whatever you do, if you are looking for help, DO NOT post to their forums. Nothing but crickets.
Do you happen to have their email address? I used the form on their Technical Support site and still haven't gotten a reply.

My main issue with MA Remote is when I play MQA, there is a substantial lag before it plays, about 5 minutes. For regular Hifi. music, it is fine and can switch music easily.

Top Bottom