• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mathaudio Room EQ users (tips & tricks)

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Redid the measurements today. Found no way to do it via Audirvana, which is way I was using foobar for it.

Which is why I’m not fully trusting the results by now :confused: Quite surprisingly I have to apply a 16% left balance correction to center the »sound stage« for the listener.

View attachment 229551
Last measurement looks more normal than the first one. Looks like a sort of gradual filter/compensation at around 1 khz is active. Also your target curve look now more natural taking care of peaks. What type/brand of speakers, measuring mic are you using?

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_032314.jpg
    IMG_20220909_032314.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_2022-09-09-03-18-38-254_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-09-03-18-38-254_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Golf

Last measurement looks more normal than the first one.
I agree.

Meanwhile I believe that my former measurements based on reading from the mics of my laptop :facepalm: I experienced yesterday that MathAudio was doing some measurement (and delivering »curves«), although my mic was unplugged ... :oops:

What type/brand of speakers, measuring mic are you using?
It’s a pair of KEF iQ3 speakers. Mic is miniDSP UMIK-1.

I replaced my former amplifier with a Denon PMA-1600 NE two weeks ago. That one has built-in DACs, PCM 1795, I believe.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree.

Meanwhile I believe that my former measurements based on reading from the mics of my laptop :facepalm: I experienced yesterday that MathAudio was doing some measurement (and delivering »curves«), although my mic was unplugged ... :oops:

It’s a pair of KEF iQ3 speakers. Mic is miniDSP UMIK-1.

I replaced my former amplifier with a Denon PMA-1600 NE two weeks ago. That one has built-in DACs, PCM 1795, I believe.
Your hardware is looking fine how did you use Mathaudio with
Audirvana? Are you using the sytemwide Mathaudio VST with APO.? Potential there could be conflicts using APO an Foobar2000 regarding measuring results simultaneous. Also make sure that under windows "Sound" special effects are off.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I agree.

That explains it :facepalm:
Use the "in/out" button to assign your mic.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Golf

So this is my latest setting ...

• I modified the shape of the reference frequency line in a way, that my little KEF speakers might get a bit more »bass volume«, while their high frequency’s volume should be a little reduced

• The reference frequency line’s vertical position is still an object of consideration. And of test listening, test listening, test listening, test listening, test listening ...

1662749547353.png

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this is my latest setting ...

• I modified the shape of the reference frequency line in a way, that my little KEF speakers might get a bit more »bass volume«, while their high frequency’s volume should be a little reduced

• The reference frequency line’s vertical position is still an object of consideration. And of test listening, test listening, test listening, test listening, test listening ...

View attachment 229750
More important do you find it an improvement dissepointment or something in between.

Golf

My problem with this is that I’m by far the most unreliable test listener I’ve ever met :facepalm: My »sound quality sense« is intrigued by lots of things. Like the desire to hear an improvement after hours of fiddling and fine tuning ...

What I can say is that in some long known tunes I now can hear »tiny« instruments like cymbals etc which I never noticed before. But at the same time I tend to fear that the sound is way to sharp and kind over crisp now :(

Golf

Alright – did another measurement session (9 takes) today, and below is my current setting.

Besides: The »channel curves« of my little KEFs do nicely match from about 1 KHz upwards, I’d say. Fine little speakers :)

Could win my wife for a spontaneous test listener: She was pleased with the sound ... :cool:

1662925150217.png

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright – did another measurement session (9 takes) today, and below is my current setting.

Besides: The »channel curves« of my little KEFs do nicely match from about 1 KHz upwards, I’d say. Fine little speakers :)

Could win my wife for a spontaneous test listener: She was pleased with the sound ... :cool:

View attachment 230198p
If your and your wife are fine with the result who am i to argu;)
But with the Green target line above any peaks (besides a small peak at around 40hz) Mathaudio can't correct anything. I would suggest use a bright horizontal target curve around -14db an move upwards till you find maximum transparency.

Last edited:

Golf

OK. I will try out such an »Everything-controlled-setting« also.

Thanks for you feedback!

1662928354121.png

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. I will try out such an »Everything-controlled-setting« also.

Thanks for you feedback!

View attachment 230225
These are my compareble monitors preferd target curve. Quite a different target curve compared to my full range speakers

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_223915.jpg
    IMG_20220911_223915.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Golf

Still, I’m wondering why there’s no mentioning of any mic calibration in your screenshots, like this:

1662929876811.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Still, I’m wondering why there’s no mentioning of any mic calibration in your screenshots, like this:

View attachment 230228
Normally you put that manually.It's in the manual.
For example I put my cal.file myself in the right folder.
How did you put it?You have a cal. file for your mic,don't you?

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 230228
I can't hear the difference between using or not using my calibration file. Do know overtime you have to calibratie your mic again. But the difference are so small i bet you can't hear a difference with your own mic. Enclosed the frequency curve of my mic no need for correction.

Attachments

• WHuEtgO.png
    WHuEtgO.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Golf

You have a cal. file for your mic,don't you?
Sure.

And the manual suggests to »rename the calibration file to calibration.frd, calibration.cal or calibration.txt and copy it to the Documents -> MathAudio Room EQ folder«

Which is what I believe I did.

Last edited:

Golf

OK – maybe that I (again) completely misunderstand something in this field. But to me it seems to be absolutely mandatory to use the given calibration file when doing measurements with a measurement microphone like the UMIK-1. Am I wrong here?

Sokel

Master Contributor
OK – maybe that I (again) completely misunderstand something in this field. But to me it seems to be absolutely mandatory to use the given calibration file when doing measurements with a measurement microphone like the UMIK-1. Am I wrong here?
No,not wrong at all.That's the right way to do it.
If you have it you use it unless you know is accurate without it anyway.

Top Bottom